main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Not with the way things are going, it will be Kylo.

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Oh, sorry. You mentioned the Doomsday fight, so I figured... nevermind. [face_blush]

3. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Technically, they decided that it didn’t matter whether you wanted to see them again. They decided that you didn’t need to see them together again, because that was “important” to their story.

Really, the way out of all continuity stuff is to just subtly rebrand stuff with their own continuity (ie “Legends”). Star Wars has always been framed within “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...” and within that, you can always have legends that were lost to time, or reinterpretations of stories that have happened.

They don’t need to do time travel necessarily, just not double down on “Everything is all one big continuity!” Of course, that might put Pablo Hidalgo out of a job...

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No worries.

If any company thought it could get away with pulling a Dynasty move on Star Wars, it'd be Disney.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Two GA friends of mine who saw TLJ liked it, but it didnt make a big impression on them.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    How did it NOT assassinate their characters. It absolutely did, and Luke got it worst of all.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t know that the movie itself assassinated the OT3’s characters, with the exception of Luke in the Minority Report scene.

Some of the commentary on it, along the lines of Leia should not have had a career, Han was an abusive cheater, etc., absolutely has assassinated their characters.

eko32eko7, 2Cleva, Jedi Ben and 7 others like this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well perhaps it's more accurate to say that, in Leia and Han's cases, they just burned everything that they accomplished to the ground and left them complete failures in the end.

Luke, oh boy he's not even the same character now. And not in a "he progressed naturally over time" good way, but rather in a "they twisted his character into pretzels to make their terrible story idea work" way.

9. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    OMG, I almost spit out my water reading this. I guess Luke forgot about Yoda's teachings in Empire, "Always in motion, the future is."

10. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    All this talk of making original character movies set in SW is going to hit the problem whether the director is the misguided Rian Johnson or not: the audience does not care as much. Marvel gets people excited about the pre-existing characters not the original ones. Rogue One made half of TFA's WW total because of that, Star Wars Rebels got worse tv viewership than The Clone Wars as well because of that. Are the bean counters really going to be happy if a RJ-made original SW movie makes worse than RO money domestically and internationally because it's not a Skywalker episode or based on pre-established characters with the kind of money they have to pump into these productions and marketing - are they going to slash the budget significantly? I find that hard to believe they'd be happy. Even the PT was built around established characters like young Darth Vader and Obi-Wan. How are they going to translate that into moving merchandise sales without even further decline than they seem to be experiencing right now?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think saying that it's accepted as good but not great by the majority of its audience is a decent way to view its reception. It didn't make the wave that Black Panther or The Force Awakens did, where it feels like some exciting pop-culture landmark, and it does have a bit for reputation as an argumentative movie.

Ultimately, I think the reason it's a bigger deal on the Internet is because the hardcore fans are at war over it in the context of the Saga as a whole; your opinion of TLJ exposes your priorities for what you think makes a good entry in the series, and what elements you'd encourage and which ones you'd discourage. For instance, I now know that I value plot more than execution, since I found that while ROTS clearly has shakier directing and dialogue in almost every scene, I regard it as a better Star Wars film because I love it's plot and am profoundly disappointed in TLJ's plot. I also know that I prioritize Luke as an indisputably altruistic and compassionate character because his apathetic and inward-looking portrayal in TLJ is my biggest problem with him. I know that I see the OT cast's purpose as organically building in the ST's cast because I like Han in TFA but find Rey and Luke to be a bad pairing in TLJ.

jaqen and kalzeth like this.
  12. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    I agree that Kylo's become the emotional focus of the ST and its most special angsty little boy. I'm also pretty convinced he'll survive IX. But I doubt Kylo spearheading educational projects of any kind is in his future. To change him from his current unstable, volatile ways would require time they do not have, even with a jump. If he'd left the FO with Rey at the end of TLJ, maybe. But he didn't, he made himself Supreme Leader. That's their starting point going into the last movie no matter what. So Rey's the default inheritor of all positives that were poached from the OT.

Still glad the Skywalker family name died with Luke no matter what (unless they also poach that for Rey). I'm sentimental about the name and I'm a-ok with it never being used again in current canon to prop a new character.

13. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    I'm actually ticked off that the Skywalker name dies off. Luke was not only to bring back the Jedi, but to restore his family name as one of honor and to be one the galaxy could look up to. Instead he just dies as a failure and the attempt to make him a "myth" fell flat at least for me. I loved how in legends the name was a blessing and a curse, but it still made the ones who carried the name strive want to live up to the name even after all their suffering. I really hope that those stories can continue on, but be put in the right hands.

DarthTalonx and kalzeth like this.
  14. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I dunno. My theory is that Rey and/or Finn have deliberately had their last names left blank because at least one of them will adopt the name "Skywalker" in the end. Of course, given her "relationship" with Luke, Rey taking the Skywalker name wouldn't make much sense. Maybe Finn.

kalzeth and Glitterstimm like this.
  15. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    People keep talking about this "timeskip" and yet i don't think it will happen.Six months would be great to give Rey time but this part of the Saga has been unfolding with in a few hours/days of it's self.

16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This. Disney didn't spend 4b to just kill off the Skywalker name. They've got something planned.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  17. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Kylo is the last Skywalker - if not in name, then in blood.

If the PT, OT and ST are about Skywalkers, then it'll end with him in IX.

Then again, I've given up trying to second guess anything that happens in this series given that pretty much (now with time travel, unexplained interstellar reanimation, mind-melding force transfers and of course, the incredibly ridiculously small odds of Anakin's lightsabre ending up with Maz), anything can happen.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    That's something I could never understand about Luke attempting to murder Ben Solo after his vision of what Ben ***MIGHT*** become because it's already set out (in the beloved "Empire Strikes Back" no less) that visions of the future can't be trusted because the future is "always in motion"... So Luke's first reaction to Ben's potential future wouldn't have been murder as there would've been no way of knowing whether that "vision" was going to come off or not.

To say nothing of the fact that murdering Ben in cold blood would've taken Luke firmly into the dark side.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Problem is the end of TLJ pretty much requires one for the Resistance to be any actual threat to Ren and the FO.

Probably having Ren turn back and be all forgiven. At which point Rey becomes complete mush and her character destruction is complete.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I thought this was supposed to be the end of the Skywalker saga? They keep blabbing on about wanting to move away from the family and do other things.

21. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    This is a HUGE social issue especially here in the states with broad cultural implications. Someone needs to call LF & RJ out on this after Parkland enough is enough.

"Focusing on the perpetrators of school shootings and other mass shootings has been a longstanding practice in the media. This was particularly evident with the 1999 Columbine High School shooting. The extensive coverage of the two perpetrators made them not only famous but even, in some quarters, folk heroes of a sort, particularly among deeply alienated students."

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/20...-shooting-media-coverage-perpetrator-parkland

ChildOfWinds, unicorn, Solo88 and 3 others like this.
  22. SpaceLord2014

SpaceLord2014 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    Not to mention that it had been done before in the PT with Anakin. I always saw that as GL's take on the old Greek tragedies of a self-fullfilling prophecy, like in Oedipus story about how in trying to avert a prophecy they make it come true. But as stated many times before it seems none of the lessons that we saw Luke learn during the OT reached RJ's mind.

23. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Well ... in my eyes, the only way that Luke's actions in TLJ and this scenario specifically, could be redeemed in my eyes in IX, is if we are SHOWN (please SHOWN, not TOLD again) the Kylo that Luke's vision saw. Show me how dark Kylo is so that I can sympathise with Luke's pre-contemplated nephew-cide.

(and here I was prior to the film being released, harping on about how of all of the characters in the story, Luke and especially Leia would be the last to give up on Ben .. bah.)

24. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Based on what J.J. said before and afterward my guess is that within Lucasfilm and Disney as a whole they still buy largely this narrative:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03...olls-have-not-affected-his-new-star-wars-tril

If that’s the case then it’s possible they don’t course correct much. It’s not uncommon for large corporations to have multi-year plans and for all we know blowing up the EU and showing how the OT cast all died was always seen as the painful phase that they knew would cause some pain to a lot of people but one they hoped to offset with the more OT-era / mature / EU-inspired Anthology films (and RO seemed to do the trick for many who hate the ST) before they started bringing stranger Star Wars stories that were less familiar overall to both general audiences and the older fans to the big screen.

They’ve already paid for the purchase price so at this point they’re playing with house money it seems.

25. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Everything they have said up to this point suggests otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.