main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, where is the Raddus prequel? That one everyone'd want.

Throw in an Ackbar plot too, mix with Vader conquering Mon Cal and having fish 'n' chip, saber-style....

Axrendale likes this.
  2. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    That sounds like a much more appealing movie than the ST right now. At least I LIKE Vader. And Ackbar. And Raddus. And those three characters didn`t get ruined onscreen in the ST. Except Ackbar`s undignified quasi offscreen death.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That sounds pretty much like the current Darth Vader comic book plotline.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Yes, that does all make sense too!

5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, I've thought about my options for some time now, and I think I'll take a long break from Star Wars once the Sanctuary closes. I considered doing that earlier, but this thread was a lifesaver of sorts. TLJ really destroyed everything... :(

6. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Casting Alden in a film was definitely Disney "testing" the waters so to speak of recasting the OT. At this point, they've already done a soft reboot of the OT, if I'm forced to chose the lesser of two evils I'd much, much rather have a new batch of films that restore the legacy of the original trio than films set past Ep 9 where we're forced to stomach these new crop of characters inheriting and taking all their legacy. GrandMaster "Rey Perfect" School of Jedi makes me want to vomit thinking about it. No thanks. Give me Luke growing old as a wise Grandmaster showing why he was the chosen one's son and being a badass Jedi we knew from the EU. Sebastian Stan could do him justice.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Axrendale, Aiel, appleseed and 4 others like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Must be a coincidence... [face_whistling]

TCF-1138 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  8. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    While I'd rather see stories about the Big Three than emo redeemed Kylo getting married to Rey, it's going to be really hard to duplicate the OT's original chemistry. Star Trek did a good job of this but it was an AU so fans could accept it more. Leia's such a unique mix of both Carrie's sardonic wit and maturity beyond her years, it'll be really hard to find another actress that can fit her shoes AND have screen melting chemistry with Alden.

FN-2187, vini and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    How about Disney making a Star Wars movie that doesn't rely on the nostalgia of the OT whatsoever. I'm curious when this will actually happen.

10. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I don't want to see anything with a "new" OT3 because frankly, they treated the old one like garbage and I know it's just going to rewrite everything they were in the real OT so it better jibes with their ST canon....

Catching up on a variety of threads from the day....

Re: humor. I think the main contrast from the OT to the ST humor wise, is that Lucas based the OT humor on the old serials and the old tropes and Mark, Carrie and Harrison really got that. Otherwise the screwball comedy takeoff in Empire doesn't work - although I have enough younger fans telling me it's an abusive, terrible relationship based on that so... Also it's not Earth referential for the most part. Whereas the current humor is based on jokey Marvel styles and Earth referential stuff - "cute boyfriend" "droid please" Hux and Poe 'holding" and "your mama" style jokes. It's like Lucas was writing an epic set in a foreign land, say, like Robin Hood with Errol Flynn is written - arch and stagey. The ST is written like Marvel or DC or any number of current movies.

Re: the costumes. I saw the costume exhibit when it was in St. Pete and the audio guide had one of the designers of TFA saying that they looked at the Stormtroopers and tried to think of how Apple would have changed the Stormtrooper look from the OT to now. Which I would say is the wrong way to have thought because if anyone was "let the past die, kill it if you have to" I'd nominate Steve Jobs (and Jony Ive). I mean, I get the idea of making them look more like an Apple product, but Apple doesn't do that so...anyway, a tidbit. And if you get the costume exhibit near you, go, it's so worth seeing.

Re: Kylo Ren and his appeal. I get Loki - he's funny and snarky and is good looking and charming. In a roomful of deadly serious folks, he's the live wire. Kylo Ren is a sad puppy blank. I've seen a lot of discourse lately about him being Edward from Twilight and Rey being Bella and it's pretty deadbang accurate at least from the descriptions I've read of Twilight and the evidence presented (I've never seen the movies) especially that Bella is perfect at everything....

Also, and this is the scary bit, there is a large group that identifies with Kylo - conjures up his parental issues because they have them or give him this entire mental illness cloak that they personally relate to. There are posts out there on Tumblr that posit that hating Kylo Ren is "abelist because he is mentally ill and you also insult me the writer of the post because I am too and I identify with his issues." I've seen others along the lines of "my father was abusive just like Han and I recognize him in Han so Kylo was right to kill him."

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can anyone imagine Kylo pulling off the line of "I have come to free you from the burden of freedom" with anywhere near the charm and devilry Hiddleston did as Loki?

No? Yeah, thought so.

12. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Definitely no. Not anywhere close. Not even in the same zip code.

On the same subject, sort of, Kylo doesn't even come across half as conflicted as Bucky Barnes. Even when Bucky is confronted with his crimes, instead of letting Cap give him an out with the ACTUAL brainwashing, he takes responsibility. Sebastian Stan nailed it.

13. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    It most likely won't. Using the OT as a crutch seems to be their only capability whether attempting to 'build' upon OT content or rehashing it.

Say what you will about the PT, but I've said before it actually BUILT upon SW; Same with the Old EU, it made the SW story BIGGER, for example, the NJO was similar but different to the Old Jedi Order, plus all the other bits.

The ST just comes along and gives us reasons why the PT sucks and the OT is pointless. Well, nuts to you, too. Don't care at this point how the ST turns out with Ep. IX; All the SW reboot has done is make me appreciate everything the Old EU ever was, that's all.

14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    It's weird that a lot of the same people were in both story groups but have come up with such horribly different plot points.

15. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Actually I think a large point of TLJ is to act like it completely tossed TLJ (and the IT, frankly).

Ex - With the bedside incident, Luke seems to be making two key mistakes he clearly learned in the OT. (Yes, people forget lessons they learned long ago. Real people. This is storytelling.)

But did he? I argue no. But the signs that he didn’t are subtle - subtle enough to indicate the audience was intentionally misled.

I don’t mind being mislead, if the movie on the whole is good fun. But I felt it wasn’t.

Pete Ren and kalzeth like this.
  16. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    But oh, how they try... I presume I'm not the first to notice the syllable-swapping in the names?

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

[​IMG]
    twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/754469311067095040 (deleted)

Never forget what they did and didn't do.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Lol. Never forget? This is not genocide we're talking about. It's popular entertainment.

Who's that, Karate Kid Villain Luke? Why would that have been cool? That guy was a dick.

[​IMG]

Oryx-I and ImpreciseStormtrooper like this.
  19. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I'm finished with Star Wars. Luckily I can keep blasting TLJ on Facebook once this thread is closed, because I will not be discussing Star Wars on here any longer.

I think as time passes and TLJ comes to be more commonly accepted as a major misstep of Batman v Superman proportions, more honest discussion will surface.

20. Herald of Mandos

Apr 1, 2018
    @Bor Mullet. Correct, MagnarTheGreat was clearly comparing Rian Johnson to Hitler just now. Well-spotted!=D=

21. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Snoke Theory sucks because Snoke sucks
    He could have been Mace Windu, Plagueis, Darth Maul, Palpatine's brother etc and doesn't change the fact he still sucks.
    That goes for Rey theory too. Even if she was a Kenobi, Skywalker, Palpatine etc she still is a terrible character.

QuangoFett, kalzeth, FN-2187 and 3 others like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Snoke was indeed a bit of a dud, in the end. Ah well.

You should not take me so literally. I was just poking a little fun at the melodrama of the "never forget" line in this context, by using a little melodrama myself.

Like pronouncing a Doom of Mandos-style curse on Rian, or something. Just a tad over the top. ;)

23. Herald of Mandos

Apr 1, 2018
    Arrgh! Double-post!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The sad part is that Adam Driver is an excellent actor but his character is a boring sulker. The only thing Kylo does from a dramatic standpoint is brood his way into anti-climactic tantrums.

kalzeth and PendragonM like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @Herald of Mandos

Tears unnumbered Rian shall shed; and the Trufans will fence the GFFA against him, and shut him out, so that not even the echo of his lamentation shall pass across the stars. On the House of Mouse the wrath of the Trufans lieth from the West unto the uttermost East, and upon all that will follow them it shall be laid also. Their Contracts shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very profits that they have sworn to pursue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.