main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Sand and the Stars (Inter-trilogy)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kraaken, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kraaken

Kraaken Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2004
    Title: The Sand and the Stars
    Author: Kraaken
    Timeframe: Inter-trilogy (RotS ? ANH)
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Owen Lars
    Genre: First-person vignette
    Keywords: Lars, Ben Kenobi, Tatooine
    Summary: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Owen Lars live their lives on Tatooine
    Notes: My first posted fic. May contain slight inaccuracy.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

THE SAND and the STARS

Book I
    Chapter I: Obi-Wan Kenobi

As the chilling air of the desert night penetrated my robes for the first time since I had met my apprentice and my betrayer, I fixed my eyes upon the binary sunset. Its beauty was itself chilling, and the memories it invoked violently stirred my distraught mind. The setting suns? As they reached for the horizon, they meant so much to me: The final fall of the Order that I had failed to protect. The end of the Republic, of democracy, of liberty. The fallen hero of the galaxy. A fallen Jedi. A fallen friend.

I tried to set my mind to other things, but the darkness that had overcome the Force itself had drowned me. As night drew near, I saw an end to the evil that Skywalker had spread. I saw, in its place, two burning stars, the legacy of the real Anakin Skywalker, not the monster that had assumed his form. I saw a new hope amidst the stars that night; knowledge that daylight would come again from the very heart of that which now spread the darkness. But the shadows were far more real. Despite the triumphant glow of the twin suns, their every movement set upon me the conquering night. Though they shone brightly, their radiance only emphasized the pain which would later come. I could do as little then to rectify my apprentice?s path as I could do to cause the suns to cease from setting. Anakin had once told me, mere days before he was murdered, that his success was all because of my training. I had realized that it was not his success that my training was responsible for, but his failure.

Most of all, the burning suns reminded me of the look in his eyes the day I left him there. The day I left my brother to die on the rocks of Mustafar. The One to bring balance to the Force? I had destroyed him. But I would avenge his death. I will avenge his death.

I could watch the sunset no longer. I wrapped my robe around myself, and set off into Judland wastes.

For days I sat in the abandoned hovel I had found, deep in contemplation of what had happened, and deep in wonder for what lay in the future. For my first few days on Tatooine, I cast my robes aside, afraid of the past that they represented. Instead, I focused without sleep upon Anakin?s lightsaber, the last evidence of his goodness I could find. The metal cylinder was simplistic, much like my own saber. I knew not what to do with it at first? I had retrieved it almost instinctually, as if on an errand for an ill comrade. Now, its pure, icy-blue blade could only draw my tears, not defend justice. Still, I told myself, so long as noble hearts existed to wield such weapons of righteousness, there was hope.

I looked back in the direction of the Lars homestead and remembered the son of Skywalker. Anakin loved the younglings. In their presence was the only time when his arrogance did not get the better of him, when he would gladly teach. Before he turned. Before he betrayed us all. Before he betrayed the children. And all for his own children. Yes, he would have loved his own children all the more. Luke would have this saber. It is what his father would have wanted.

I walked to the trunk where I had discarded my robes, and replaced them with my friend?s lightsaber. So long as I lived, I would be a Jedi. I would not fall. I would not become one of the Lost Ones. I would honor the memory of Master Qui-Gon.

I placed the robes upon my shoulders, closed my eyes, and became an apprentice once more.

As I witnessed the countless days pass by, my supplies dwindled and I soon became needy of food. With hopes renewed from Qui-Gon Jinn?s wisdom, I mounted my steed

2. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Oh, wow. This is really good. All the vivid imagery and the introspection... I like it a lot.

3. Grievous_FanGirl

Grievous_FanGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    WOW! This story is very good! I loved how you wrote it. Very nice. I am now a fan of this story!

4. Rassick

Rassick Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    Very nicely done, Kraaken! I loved the first-person perspective, it's something you never see often.

And if it's intertrilogy Obi-Wan stories you guys like, feel free to check out mine. :) http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/20078399/?70

5. Kraaken

Kraaken Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2004
    Thanks a lot for the comments. I love being able to write in this fashion, but I usually don't get the chance.

Also, since I like the subject, I'll be sure to check out "The Sands of Tatooine" (I think I got the name right, anyway...) when I get the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.