main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The scars on Vader's head

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The scars could be from falling off a cliff into lava. Especially if he fell head first. He falls, cracks his head on a few rock outcroppings, spills into lava or whatever, and viola. There are other ways to get scars besides lava and lightsabers in SW :p
    No, lightsabers wouldn't cause paleness, but as far as I know, lava wouldn't do that either. It's the result of being behind a mask.
    It may not be lava. But if it isn't, the impossible theory doesn't quite add up as lightsabers are impossible as is fir and sound in space etc. And they're all there for dramatic purposes. If Lucas wants Anakin to die by lava, by gum, he'll do it.
    I dunno. I think in all his hacking Obi-Wan would think to cut off Anakin's head or split him in two or something. . .
    I'm sure Obi-Wan will remove a few limbs from Anakin, but I think there's more to his scars than just psycho Obi.

2. GRIFFON

GRIFFON Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Maybe we'll have a scene where Anakin is dangling on a ledge over some sort of "molten pit" with Obi-Wan standing over him...the conversation may go like this:
    Obi-Wan: Don't make me destroy you. Join me, with our combined strength we can end this destructive conflict.
    Anakin: I'll never join you!
    Obi-Wan: Palpatine hasn't told you everything!
    Anakin: He told me enough...
    (Anakin flings himself over the edge)

Oh well, just a thought...I really how it happens as long as it's cool.

3. GRIFFON

GRIFFON Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Maybe we'll have a scene where Anakin is dangling on a ledge over some sort of "molten pit" with Obi-Wan standing over him...the conversation may go like this:
    Obi-Wan: Don't make me destroy you. Join me, with our combined strength we can end this destructive conflict.
    Anakin: He told me enough...
    (Anakin flings himself over the edge)

Oh well, just a thought...I really don't care how it happens as long as it's cool.

4. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    His burning anger kept him alive, and he was forever scarred not only by his wounds but also by betrayal.

What if Palpatine somehow tricks Obi-wan into hurting Anakin? Everyone knows he plays people against each other. This would explain the betrayal part. "Even my old Master betrayed and hurt me, my wife left me. There is nothing left but the Dark Side...."

5. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I dunno. I think Palpatine may pull off a few tricks, but I think Anakin will do most of the damage himself. He did it in AotC just fine by himself.
    That's why I'm not a big fan of all these theories that Palpatine was behind Shmi dying. Then it just waters dwn Anakin's actions. Then it becomes 'awww the poor guy was tricked' and not 'well way to go guy. You royally f-ed up.' and I think that's what Lucas is trying to get out of us. Showing us that through consequences beyond his control, Anakin made horrid desicions on his own and fell. Not 'How to Make an Apprentice in 10 Incredibly Complicated and Stupid Steps, by Frank Palpatine.'
    But once Anakin is at the halfway point, I'd be willing to bet that Palpatine does his fair share of pushing him to the bad side. He's already putting thoughts into his head in AotC.

6. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Actually, Lucas has said that Anakin will be tricked. :)

7. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002

Anakin: He told me enough... He told me I had no father...
    Obi-Wan: No Ani...Yoda IS your father...
    Anakin: NOOOOO!!!

8. JediKnight_Jencen

JediKnight_Jencen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    first off you people are too negetive of the suit. it is possible that the suit enhance anikin not through the force but it phisically keeps him rested.

and there is a 20 year lapse between ep 3 and ep 4. in this time vader could have fought with a jedi and that jedi scarred him through the mask.

the lava thing i agree with he falls in loses some limbs but uses the dark side of the force to draw a shield sround him self and get pulled up, maybe by palpatine????

9. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    "There is no doubt he did fall into the lava pit(see ROTJ novel). Only Anakin could survive it, it was him using the dark side of the force that kept him alive. That was his final descent. " - Master_Vincent

This is what I'm talking about. Maybe us thinking that Anakin did fall into lava are right, AND the people who think that noone can survive a plunge into lava are also correct. And I believe the quote to prove all of this is in Attack of the Clones.

"I will even learn to stop people from dying." - Anakin Skywalker

He stops HIMSELF from dying the day he falls into lava and every day proceeding until RotJ, when he is finally done using the dark side of the force to prolong his life.

"Help me take this mask off, so I can look upon you with my own eyes." - Anakin
    "..but you'll die.." - Luke
    "Nothing.. can stop that now." - Anakin

I love the PT. SO MUCH STINKING DEPTH!!

10. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    EDIT
    Nevermind, I'm stupid :)

11. DarthStothe

DarthStothe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    I think the Obi-Wan sliced Annikan's head with the lightsaber which made Annikan fall into the lava, but Sidious retreived him and they placed him in his famous armor.

12. vadersith23

vadersith23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    it could be from any thing. Dooku or sidious could have kicked the hell out of him with the force

13. vadersith23

vadersith23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    it could be from any thing. Dooku or sidious could have kicked the hell out of him with the force

14. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    He got whaled on big time by Obi Wan.Simple.
    Knowing that he was the Chosen One he thought himself to be invincible and this false sense of security caused him to get severely whaled on by Kenobi. Lava pit my ass!!!

15. Darth_FarDawg

Darth_FarDawg Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2002
    If Obi cuts Anakin he has to hit him two times on the face and head. I used to think a long time ago that it was one long curved scar from the back of the head to his left cheek but they are separate meaning that Obi knew what he was doing and didn?t just accidentally hurt him. Also Lucas has said since the ROTJ novel that being thrown into a Reactor wounded Anakin!

16. Smokewars

Smokewars Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2002
    Um, how about the fact that the helmet was grafted on to his head? That might leave a nasty mark. And if the helmet is needeed for survival, you would want to graft it to the head, not just plop it on like a party hat!

17. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    man if Anakin DOES fall into the lava and lose a few limbs thats gonna make it R-rated, don't ya think? I mean in AOTC he lost his arm but it was quick and he didn't really make any sounds of pain. But if he falls in lava and his limbs get melted off, thats gonna be graphic.

18. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    man if Anakin DOES fall into the lava and lose a few limbs thats gonna make it R-rated, don't ya think? I mean in AOTC he lost his arm but it was quick and he didn't really make any sounds of pain. But if he falls in lava and his limbs get melted off, thats gonna be graphic.

Umm... I'm sorry but that's just not going to happen for the following reasons:

A) George Lucas's SW films are all PG. Episode III will obviously be darker and more serious than the other films, but not at the cost of the rating. Lucas will ensure that it'll be edited to fit PG criteria.

B) Lava's very hot, but it won't melt any limbs off, it'll just basically cook Anakin rather than melt him into a hideous blob, which of course would be of no use to Palpatine.

Plus, if you suggest that his arms and legs would melt, wouldn't the rest of his body melt too?

19. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    My vote goes for OB1's blade

20. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Well, let's look at him so far: he's lost an arm to Dooku, and he may even have taken a scar or two from the lighting he got hit with. From the OT, we know he has at least one robotic arm (though I forget which arm he lost in AOTC and which hand he lost in ROTJ) and a few nasty scars on his head.

The helmet isn't grafted onto his head, because we see it taken off twice - once in his chamber, and once when Luke takes it off. He needs the suit to allow him to breath, so we can assume he takes chest/lung damage, and it's also obviously for the fear factor and to cover up his robotic limb(s).

So, in Episode 3, he needs to sustain chest damage, some head damage and possibly lose another limb. Generally, if someone falls into lava, they burn up pretty quickly, so I don't think he'll fall into a big pool of molten rock. If he loses a limb, my guess is that it will be to Obi-Wan. Personally, I think it'd be cool if we see Obi-Wan go close to the Dark Side himself and let loose on Anakin, giving him the chest injuries as well. Going that close to the Dark Side would be reason enough for anyone to renounce the Jedi Order and become a hermit, regardless of persecution.

21. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Lets forget about the head wounds, or their possible origin, and concentrate on the main reason why Vader has to wear the suit in the first place.

As all or most of us know, His suit is nothing more than a portable Iron Lung, meaning somehow, his lungs were utterly destroyed, or damaged beyond all beleif, rendering them useless in most normal activeity.

The purpose of An Iron lung is to compress and expand the lungs, in order to draw air into them, so It may be distrubuted into the bloodstream, basically, breathing for the person.

Now, here in the real world, there are a few things that can do that, like T.B. (Taburchulaossis) and polio can do it, too, if I remember the lecture from Biology correctly.

Also, massive damage to the soft tissue of the lungs may also be a reason that a person may or may not be in need of an Iron Lung.

The sulfric smoke, ash, and heat from a volcano could do that, very quickly.

Because if vaders lungs were completely destroyed by Obi-Wan, he would need alot more than an Iron lung to breate, as the soft tissue in the lungs would not be able to transfer the oxygen into his bloodstream, or expel the carbon monoxide from his lungs, and in general, would kill him quicker than God gets the news.

Basically, if Obi-Wan somehow destroyed his lungs with a lightsaber, he would suffocate to death, and I dont think it would matter WHAT side of the force he was on, he would die.

However, if his lungs were damaged beyond repair, and he was nearly unable to breate, he could go completely over to the darkside in able to save his own life, and thus becoming Darth Vader, and eventually creating the mask that will sustain his life.

I used to be agaist the lava pit idea, but when I thought about this, it actually makes sense.

As for the scars, They may be from a breif immerison, or "bath" in lava. Or even possibly, cooling lava that was begging to form into rock. Or they could be from a lightsaber too, as Obi-Wan IS very skilled with a lightsaber, and could inflict him with wounds in order to prove to him (anakin)he is not as skilled as he belives.

Well there's my two cents, I give you all permisson to pick it apart if you want. LOL

22. SWPhantom

SWPhantom Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I always used to think that large wound on his head was caused when Luke struck his helmet with the lightsaber, denting the metal and wounding him...but that might not be too logical as we don't see any signs of his helmet being damaged.

As for the other scars, I've no idea.

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    LOL! Some folks are still sincerely believing the lava theory of how Anakin got his injuries. *chuckles*

24. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    When you have evidence of another theory, I'll be happy to hear it. ;)

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    My favored theory is the paralysis one. Anakin won't need to fall into a pit of lava. All that will have to happen in the duel with Obi-Wan is Anakin gets either partially sliced through the spinal cord with a lightsaber or gets thrown into a bottomless pit or something in which he breaks his neck. The head and neck injuries could go together, too.

If Vader were a quadriplegic, that could explain why he needs his heart and lung functions regulated by a machine. If there were enough nerve damage, those organs might not function on their own anymore. That would also explain why Vader seems to be completely paralyzed after he shafts Palpy and has his suit fail on him. He doesn't move at all after that - Luke just drags him to the shuttle. Finally, as the great technical commentary on Vader's injuries points out, screencaps of Vader's illuminated skeleton from the scene where he is getting blasted with Force lightning show a meticulously crafted image of a normal human skeleton - except for the strange shape of the skull and a few of the vertebra. It's definitely possible that he's had a head injury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.