main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Science Fiction , fact or fiction thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Dec 25, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    In this thread we discuss areas of Science Fiction that may have some truth in them. For example Thor's hammer why no one can lift it but him.
    Wired did a piece on it.
    http://www.wired.com/2014/11/can-hulk-lift-thors-hammer/

My question involves the Flash, What exactly would be the effects of him running around on his environment and the people around him. Would his speed create a whirl of air when he leaves a room?

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yes, it would.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that article missed the real question, if Mjolnir was forged in the heart of a neutron star, which is really damn dense and weighs twelve thousand trillion pounds, what would it do to the Earth's gravitational field? My guess is bad things.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    beezel what the **** are you doing?

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    beezel what the **** are you doing?

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have another example. Die Another Day, while filled with ideas like space lasers and genetic reconstruction, accurately depicted the fact that the James Bond franchise is at its root a deeply childish endeavor that only really appeals to people stimulated by bloodlust and plain lust.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's completely off-topic, Wocky. Don't do that again.

jp-30 likes this.
  8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003

Forged in the heart of the star doesn't mean the same density. Just the same pressure, for all we know the original material it was forged from was less dense then it was now. Plus the Neutron star is mearly a blast furnace. But its possible using said neutron star to produce the material because you would end up using other materials and metals to give it its strength and particular structure.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The force is like, you know, how we're all connected. Like, we're all made of star stuff, man. And that's kinda like the force. Man. Yeah. Permeating. All encompassing. Ya know? Ya dig?

10. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Beezel, this is gibberish. Even setting aside the fact that you don't know what a neutron star is, none of those sentences makes sense.

jp-30 and VadersLaMent like this.
  11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    They rarely do.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Science Fiction. Fiction.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Metals can only be forged by stars. Some metals require dying stars to forge. So any piece of metal you see in your everyday life was once in a star (including neutron stars), a nova or a supernova.

Of course, the same can be said of most of the elements comprising the atoms of your own body.

Whether that sheds any light on the origins of mjolnir, I do not know..