main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the science of star wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jedi-soon, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    this was on the science channel tonight, although it had probably aired before. anyone catch it? it was hosted by threepio and artoo and featured clips from the maker himself, with gl commenting on kids' ability to come up with new ideas and how they would always be as valuable to society as PhD's and nobel prize winners because of their ability to think outside the box. i apologize for not hanging around for the credits to check for a copyright date, but it included footage from the first five chronologically released films, leading me to believe it probably first aired in the last year or two.

basically, the thrust of the show was the proliferation of robotics into modern life, with every robot profiled being introduced with a parallel from a star wars film. it was quite entertaining and informative. one of the best bits was a segment on small box-shaped dro... er, i mean robots (they looked like a cross between a car battery and a mouse droid), that were being programmed to find their missing member. it was demonstrating how they could communicate with each other the information individually, so as to avoid being controlled by a central databse. this was cleverly preceded by shots from TPM with the droid control ship being blown up and the battle droids being rendered useless. the scene ended with the all the assembled robots (about 35 total) playing the star wars theme in unison!

the other great standout of the show was the real anthony daniels actually confronting threepio onscreen to inform him that he was him, an idea that threepio did not warm to at all. it actually caused him to pull a star turn and retreat to his dressing room. brilliant and hilarious!

2. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    No, I wish I would've seen it though. I saw something similar to it on A&E. It highlighted the science and philosophy of Star Wars.

3. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    There are 3 episodes on the Science of Star Wars and they had an episode on Monday, Tuesday, and Wendsday leading up to the release of ROTS. The Science of Star Wars premiered on the Discivery Channel.

4. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    The discovery channel or animal planet i forget which one had a series of episodes on the creatures of Star Wars about the same time as the science series was on. It was pretty good it showed animals of real life that influenced the making of the creeatures.

5. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    The Science of Star Wars premiered on the Discovery Channel and the Creatures of Star Wars premiered on Animal Planet.

6. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Did you get to see them Reven. They were pretty good especially the creatures one.:D

7. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I saw most of the Science of Star Wars episodes but not the Creatures of Star Wars.

8. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I watched all 3 "Science of SWs" and the creatures of SW on Animal Planet. I was soooo dissappointed by all 4 programs. I though the SoSW would be like the book of the same name and delve in to possible scenarios where such things as a death star or lightsaber might be built and how they would work, but it was just re-hashed "future tech" that I see on those channels every day. The dude who built the "speeder bike" was a joke. It barely moved and was ugly as hell. Kudos for him buliding it, but comparing it to speeder bikes in SW was a joke. The creature show on Animal Planet was just a creature themed re-edit of "Empire of Dreams."

Thumbs down to all of them. [face_shame_on_you]

9. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I liked them but the science one wasn't as good as the creature one.

10. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I liked the two Science of Star Wars episodes I saw.

11. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    Are those the exact titles? I'm sure they have them available as videos or DVDs. You might be able to search for them on Amazon.

12. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I dont think i would buy it because i dont see myself watching again even though i liked it i would rather watch Clone Wars or the movies.

13. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes even though I liked the Science of Star Wars I don't think I would watch it again either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.