main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Scoundrel Chronicles- Birth of a Rebellion After ANH, AU; Han, Wedge, Wes, Luke, Hobbie, Chewie

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Coota, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    Spike: The Alliance collapsed, so the resistance cells had to turn to a new way to get supplies: and this mysterious organization stepped in to provide those supplies. So, it isn't the cells who are actually the criminal org; it's just charging them an arm and a leg for what the Rebellion had been providing free.

2. Mira_Terrik

Mira_Terrik Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Just catching up!

Man, those last couple of posts were great! Chewie was so funny .. and seeing Hal Horn was a nice twist there!

Excellent posts!! :D :D

3. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    another great post, so we get to see hal horn, bringing in all the old rogue relations no arent't we, anyway u are doing a great job can't wait for the next post, keep up the great work

4. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Well, actually, I used Horn because he was pretty prominent in investigating criminal operations in the Corellian Sector, they were passing through the Corellian sector, and they were participating in criminal activities in the corellian sector. I mean, sure, there are other investigators, but if the FBI heard about a huge drug shipment coming up through Mexico, they'd send the guy who knows everything about the cartels to investigate.

As far as I can tell, the Horns are on the Organized Crime Division of CorSec, so they're probably the most likely CorSec officers you'd run into if you're supposedly working with organized crime.

I am kind of surprised at the minimum of original characters I'm using; usually I use a lot, and don't use major characters. This is, in fact, my first foray into the world of major characters.

And if it seems like I'm introducing a lot of plot points, I am; while you're about to learn the main thrust of this particular book, I plan on telling the Scoundrel Chronicles in a series of books, and this is where I need to introduce a couple of major plot points that will be cleaned up later on in the series.

5. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
  6. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    The first meeting with Booster, Mirax and their gang, from Wedges point of view. One of my favorite scenes I've done so far.

----

The Falcon landed without even a bump; Solo?s deft touch ensured that. Wedge wondered just how long the captain of the Falcon had been piloting, and where it all came from: it seemed as if he piloted almost the same way Wedge did, through pure instinct coupled with skills and tricks he?d picked up over the years. Wedge just hoped that he would get the chance to pilot again, so his skills wouldn?t atrophy. He missed flying with his whole heart already.

As they touched down, however, Wedge?s mind was not on piloting, no matter how hard he tried to keep it there. It was on the past, and the memories of the past being resurrected by knowing he was about to see Booster and Myra again. He had spent about three years in their care before striking off on his own, trying to become a free trader and eventually joining the Rebellion. He had seen them only occasionally while a trader, and had never seen them after joining the Rebellion. Wedge hoped that they wouldn?t think less of him for that: he hoped that they would know he still thought about them, even though he had been unable to contact them for a long while.

He hoped Myra still thought of him as a big brother, because he still remembered her as the little sister to replace the hole left by Syal?s journey to Coruscant and a new life. Wedge hadn?t seen Syal since the day she ran away from home, and he?d missed her even more after the death of his parents. Myra and Booster had been the family to fill those gaps that had been left in his life, but had never replaced them: that had been why he struck off on his own. He had wanted to find that new family on his own, to make his own way in the galaxy like his parents had always wanted him to do. Wedge had thought that he?d found it with the Rebellion, but that had gone away, just like his parents. Now, he didn?t know quite where he stood any more.

All he knew was that for all the bad memories, he still couldn?t wait to see this part of his past again. They were the source of the few good feelings from that dark time in his life after his parents had been killed.

?You ready, Wedge?? It was Han, rousting him from his bunk.

?Yeah, sure, Han. Just reminiscing.?

?Don?t worry, you?ll get plenty of time to do more of that once we?re in. I just hope Booster actually waits and hears me out.?

?You?re worried about your connection with the Hutts?? Wedge asked.

?Yeah; you?ve lived and worked with Booster, you know how he is. Hopefully you and Luke?ll keep me from getting blasted the second I step out of the Falcon.?

?Booster?s? reasonable,? Wedge tried, realizing he was lying, as he walked with Han towards the lounge.

?Right, and I?m the King of Corellia.?

Wedge shrugged and grinned, ?Hey, it was worth trying; I thought you might like a false sense of security.?

?Kid, I?ve got all the false sense of security I?ll ever need right here,? Han replied, patting the heavy blaster slung low on his hip.

?I just hope that doesn?t get you too overconfident some day, Han.?

?Same here, Wedge. Same here? everyone ready?? Han asked as they entered the Falcon?s lounge where the rest of the crew was assembled.

?We?re ready, but why are you so worried?? Luke asked, ?I thought this guy was sympathetic with anyone who opposed the Empire.?

?No, Luke, he was sympathetic with the Rebellion, not me. Remember, I haven?t exactly been the soul of decency throughout my life. Neither has Booster, but he hates the Hutts with a passion. Chewie and I haven?t exactly been his kind of pirates.?

Wes shrugged as they headed to the ramp and off the ship, ?How bad could it be??

That question was answered a moment later as they filed out into the docking bay that they?d landed in. They were surrounded by about twenty techs, gunmen and assorted other criminal elements, mostly human and mostly corellian. Standing in front of all of them was an older man with a well-trimmed beard, wearing a sp

7. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Ha! Ha! I loved your reference to the King of Corellia. ;) I'm glad Luke is loosening up and becoming part of the group.

inez

8. Jade243

Jade243 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Wes and Luke were so funny! :p Excellent post once again, Coota! :D

9. Lucid_Lady

Sep 28, 2002
    Veggie= Poor Wedge!

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Veggie Ta - a- ales, Veggie Tales ... Now I've got that theme song stuck in my head, thanks to Wedge's nickname! :D

Excellent post! I was looking for something specific to praise, but I couldn't decide which one to take, because every sentence was great!

I'm just confused about one thing. I thought Booster's daughter was named Mirax? Did she change it from Myra? (I wouldn't blame her.)

11. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Myra is Wedge's(and Booster's) kiddie name for her: Veggies is Mirax's kiddie name for Wedge. Her original name is in fact Mirax, and she is starting to grow out of Myra. She only puts up with Wedge calling her it because he's like her big brother.

12. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    another great post, poor wedge, he is never going to live that one down, well can't to see how han and booster's talk goes, that should be interesting, keep up the great work

13. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Han, Hobbie, Wes, Luke, and even Chewbacca echoed in almost perfect unison, ?Veggies?? Even Chewbacca?s growl sounded like a close imitation of the name.

ROFLMAO!

Also caught the "King of Corellia" statement.

Poor Han.... mistrusted by everyone, even though it's that b**** Bria's fault.

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Hehe. Veggies!

*snort*

15. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    I'm glad everyone liked that part; I read "Phantom Affair" a while back, where Mirax and Wedge call each other by their nicknames briefly, and I thought to myself: 'what if anyone *else* knew about Wedge's nickname?'

Here's the next part, the meeting with Booster.

-----

Han leaned back in his chair and grinned smugly. Booster had been trying for an hour to find holes in Han?s plans, but had as yet not pierced them badly; the best the old smuggler could inflict was superficial damage. Han?s plans called for a lot of luck, and quite a bit more skill, but they were solid; he had made sure of that himself. He knew that he couldn?t just sail through this. It would be hard work, and he?d have to regain the trust of a lot of people who were on the verge of taking out contracts on his life.

?Solo? you?re crazy,? Booster said finally.

?Crazy like a mynock!? Wes piped in, the coughed loudly when everyone stared at him, ?Ahem? just uh, clearing my throat.?

Han ignored him. ?It?s not going to be easy, but it?s really the only way to beat the Empire now. All the idealists are leaving the galaxy. The criminal underground, on the other hand, already has operatives across the entire galaxy: if they were turned against the Empire, it would just start crumbling in on itself.?

Booster snorted, not for the first time, ?You don?t really expect people like you to fight the Empire, do you??

?No, I don?t; I know I wouldn?t come near a cause even two weeks ago? unless there was money involved.?

Booster scoffed, ?How do you plan on bribing the entirety of the criminal underworld into helping you??

?By convincing them it?ll be in their favor to do so. We tell them that if the Empire crumbles, everything will dissolve into chaos: it?ll be just like the Republic again; corruption, easy pickings, easy life.?

?How do we know that isn?t your plan in the first place, Solo? To destroy the Empire so you can get rich off it?s leavings?? Mirax piped up from her place at the table, next to Wedge.

Han turned his eyes towards her, not just because he wanted to see whom he was arguing with. He genuinely enjoyed looking at her. Her curves were amazing, and complemented perfectly by the clothes she wore; the sign of a girl who was just really settling into her new developments as a woman. Han appreciated that, especially after being stuck aboard a ship with five other men and two droids for a few weeks, but what he could really appreciate was the way she spoke: angry, intelligent and quick witted, she was like every other girl he?d ever fallen for. He doubted she would just fall into his arms, or even ever warm up to him, though; she obviously loved only one smuggler, and that was her father.

?No, sister,? Han replied patiently, ?I plan on getting rich while it?s still alive and well. And while I?m getting rich, I?ll be spending that money on breaking it down, piece by piece, and then letting someone else build it back up to something a little less authoritarian.?

?So, what, you want to set yourself up as a new crimelord, replace the Hutts?? she bit back.

Han thought about that for a moment; that could easily happen, if that was what he wanted to turn this into. But he saw himself as a disinterested rebel; he didn?t want the reigns of power, because he had seen what they could do to people. If power meant being like the Hutts, or the Emperor, or the Imperial Commander he had rescued Chewbacca from, then he didn?t want it. He didn?t mind cool, hard credits, but the only reason he wanted those was so he could have a comfortable living in the Old Spaceman?s Home.

?Actually, I don?t want any piece of that. I?m planning on leading whatever military strikes arise out of this, but after the Empires down, so am I. I plan on giving Chewie a nice, long break on Kashyyk after this is all over, and I?m going to spend that time relaxing and forgetting the Empire ever existed.?

?So who?s going to run all the criminal operations, and how are you going to keep him from turning into another Hutt??

?Well, to tell you the truth,

16. Jade243

Jade243 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love this! :D :D

Han grinned widely, ?Sounds like my kind of job? can?t have two rebellions in the galaxy at once, after all; things would get messy.?

?You?d take it, without even hearing the details?? Booster asked, his eyebrows raised a half inch.

Solo snorted, ?If I didn?t, the rest of my crew would hijack the Falcon, and I?d hate to see her in the hands of Janson over there. So, what?s the deal??

17. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    another great post, the falcon in janson's hands, that is a scary thought, well anything in janson's hands is scary, well can't wait for more keep up the great work

18. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Thanks ;) I was trying to show both Han's commitment and get in a sarcastic line about Janson at the same time ;)

And good job for spotting the King of Corellia reference, everyone ;) To tell you the truth, it just flowed out; I knew about the whole king thing, and it just seemed really appropriate for that bit of dialogue.

19. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    yes the king of corellia line was great, u are doing a great job with this story, i am impressed

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Emperor's own underworld forces? I.E. Black Sun. Uh oh. Why do I get the feeling theres gonna be a galaxy wide turf war?

21. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    *sitting at computer, grinning madly* :D :D :D

inez

22. Lucid_Lady

Sep 28, 2002
    ?No, it makes them warier of people like me; they just saw their one great crusade in life crumble away from them. Do you really think they?d be that eager to go on another one? If they weren?t willing to take another chance, they?d get a good job as a corporate freighthauler, find themselves some pretty girls, and get married, dying slowly every day wondering what could have been. But they didn?t: they decided to tag along with someone they all knew was a cynical jerk, someone they all knew might not be the most trustworthy man in the galaxy. And so far, all that?s happened is they?ve nearly gotten killed a half dozen times. But they haven?t left yet, because they?re willing to believe.?

I love this speech. I can actually see Han giving it too.

23. Mira_Terrik

Mira_Terrik Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    LOL!!

Loved the last couple of posts .. the reference to "King of Corellia" and Bria were great!! I also liked the tie-in with the "Phantom Affair" comic arc, that's my favourite well, my second favourite now after "Blood and Honor".

Keep up the awesome work! :D :D

24. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Whooohooo

I finally caught up!!

This is WONDERFUL Coota!!!

Sith all the great characters are in this. . . lets see. . . There's Luke, Han, Chewie (I love being able to understand him), Wedge, Hobbie and Wess

You even got Mara, Mirax, Boster and Hal Horn in there. . .

Come on, you know you gotta pick up a Corran at some time, I was jumping up and down when I saw the CorSec ship chanting Corran.

Question, since Bossk got his arm torn off, will he still be killing Hal Horn?

25. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Trandoshans regrow their limbs. It's an alternate future, so I don't know what will happen yet ;) Maybe that bounty will never show up in the bar where Bossk killed him and Hal Horn, maybe he will. History has changed completely, after all :)

And I hope this doesn't seem like too much of a cameo fest, but I'm including people who I thought it would be logical to include :) Though I did engineer the Wes and Hobbie joining thing by having them go to Tierfon base ;) Though I suppose even *that* was realistic, since Tierfon was one of the only other major Rebel Alliances bases at that time in the war.

And I have to admit that I don't like Corran Horn(I just don't like goody-two-shoes. I prefer my honorable cops to have a healthy bit of cynicism and a willingness to bend the law just a little bit), but there's a good chance that he'll show up because it would be common sensical; however, I think he will play a large part in the book after this one, which will largely center around intrigue in the Corellia Sector and the turf war.

I'm *hoping* this will become a multi-book series, as long as I have time on my hands, and I'll explore different parts of this rebellion with different characters who are established in this book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.