main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You've just indicated your own artistic preferences here. Neither Lando nor Leia have terrible art, Dodson and Maleev are a lot of things as artists but they're not that.

As to digital software, they are, like every tool, dependent on the skill of the user. People have this notion in their head that using a computer will mean brilliant images can just be generated instantly but it's not true. Computers are only as smart as their users. They do open more doors but it doesn't follow those will all be faster and so better.

If anything it may be slower because so much more can be done raises expectations which requires more production time to meet them - Assassin's Creed has become infamous for trying to do a game a year, when it can't be done in quality terms because so much is expected. Even with all the tools and options open to them on the next-gen consoles, there's only so much things can be sped up.

HeatherAntos and Jedi Princess like this.
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Looking forward to post-RotJ stories about the Dominion of Ezaraa...

revan772 and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  3. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    A little disappointed the queen isn't just a Force sensitive Anzati, given her power...

spicer likes this.
  5. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Ah. I thought the initial confusion was in the content of the post, not the content of the book. Haha. Thanks for the knowledge check. ;)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, at least we got some version of Force Drain re-canonized. Plus, Anzati are canon already so it's a win-win I guess?

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Maybe. It's been discussed in the forum before so I shan't rehash it, but suffice it to say the reasoning used to claim Anzati are canon is...not entirely immune to criticism.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A shame Anzati are canon and yet Dannik Jerriko isn't one. lol

Oh but yeah, the claim that that guy is Anzati is tenuous at best. Looks more insectoid than vampiric.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Great issue, loved the art, and the ending was uber-creepy. Poor Luke fallin' for pretty gals, no wonder he was truamtized and went off and hid on Mope Island, a man can only take so much!

revan772 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, I'm not totally sold that he's an Anzat just because there are tendrils coming from his cheeks. They looks more like insect arms than tendrils, anyway.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Except that martin Fisher, the story's author, told me on Twitter that he did ask Bob Molesworth to draw an Anzat. I'll have to do some digging to retrieve the exact tweet.

EDIT: The addition of an Anzat was actually Bob's doing.

Revanfan1 and Jedha John like this.
  12. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Such a shame that Chechetto only did the one shot. Back to Larocca's terrible art. 2nd issue was okay and ended on an interesting note but the art just leaves me feeling ehhh.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I feel the same way about Larroca's art. :(

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The inconsistency of the art makes this a really difficult read. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's passable and then sometimes it's bad. And when all of these happen on the same page it's constantly breaking immersion in the story. Instead of just following along on this interesting Luke and Aphra adventure I am noticing huge shifts in the art quality and style, frowning at the hit or miss photo-realistic faces, or unable to distinguish what is going on. The colouring on the skin needs to mesh with the rest of the art too, and it's not even consistent between face and elsewhere. The last page is especially egregious, with Han's head looking out of proportion and photoshopped onto a body that is inked/coloured a completely different style.

15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'd rather take an artist who draws characters in his own consistent way (even if it doesn't particularly resemble the actor) than one who traces faces to make said characters more "true to life." But that's just me.

16. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Not just you.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  17. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Just read SW 31 and really enjoyed the...

...dinner scene with the Queen. Especially the frame of Doctor Aphra woofing down the noodles. It's entertaining to see how comfortable Aphra is mingling with the most dangerous people in the universe, the Emperor, Vader, the Queen. The art of Han, Leia and Sana did throw me a bit off, especially the last page. I liked the ending, but I'm not too into the depiction of Han and Sana. Very interesting that Black Krrsantan is in quarantine...how did they get him there and what does that mean? Also, like the droids getting back into the mix at the end. Still very much hooked on this cross-over and looking forward to the Doctor Aphra issue coming out in 2 weeks.

Anybody know anything about the penciler for the next issue...Andrea Broccardo?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Their only Star Wars work that I can recall is Kanan #12. (Remember this drawing of Sloane?) Their DeviantArt page and Facebook page have a lot more samples of their line work. So far I'm liking their kaiju and xenomorph art a bit more than their human/oid art.

Jedha John likes this.
  19. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Before everyone goes on an art rant -- this is an age old question that has long since been solved. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder. To each his/her own. One person's trash is another person's treasure. Art is subjective. etc etc etc

What one person loves another invariably hates. And for those who are new to all this -- the same penciller can look drastically different based on inker and/or colorist and/or printing process.

Daneira likes this.
  20. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Just read the issue. I found it very funny that Luke is almost always shown from the side or back to prevent having to draw his face.

The story is interesting.
    I love that they are setting up Black K. For a big payoff.

Aphra is top of her game. I like take charge and curt Aphra more than I like sympathetic Aphra from the interactions with her father.

The Queen is interesting, but her minions took a couple steps down for me this issue.

I liked that they seemed to have the potential for more personality in the one-shot. The way they were depicted here seemed too much like hired muscle. And little else. I hope we find out a little more about them before they meet with Wookiee rage.

The art is is not for me. The pencils or the coloring. The Queen looked so elegant in the one shot, and I couldn't help but think she looked like a backwoods country bumpkin in some of the front facing shots she was put in here.

I almost wish we hadn't of gotten the one shot with the gorgeous art, because that's what the rest of the series will now be compared to.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Really disappointed by the Queen's visual appearance in SW31. She doesn't look vampiric or evil at all, and a couple of times looked more like Leia had stolen the Queen's clothes and makeup. I loved the black and red diamonds (bats) that surrounded her in the first SC comic, and that has completely gone now too :(
    Vespinax was rather meh too.
    At least Bombinax was awesome.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's funny that I really didn't notice the art until I saw the Queen's eyes in SW #31. I thought to myself, "she didn't look like that last issue, did she? Maybe she was wearing a mask or something and she decided to take it off during dinner." After I finished the story, I flipped through my copy of the one-shot and it's, of course, super obvious.

I guess for me I'm used to the art and I found like I care about story first and art second. Therefore it was the story that first stood out as lacking in this issue.

For our heroes on the temporary Rebel base, it was a lot of walking and talking and really no new information that we didn't already know save for the fact that the people on Ktath'atn hate Wookiees and the no **** moment is that we were told that one shouldn't trust the Queen. I guess we also learn is that the Queen is a collector of people and gets compared to the Hutt that collected Jedi artifacts and recapped what happened to Luke in the arena arc. I guess the Star Wars universe is full of collectors. It might be subliminal advertising for those of us in the real world to continue to collect SW merchandise, right?

Anyway, Aphra avoids the Queen's trap and her and Luke attempt to escape. Meanwhile, her droids have our heroes captured. So this issue ultimately sets up what will hopefully be an action packed next issue.

23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So does Han know who Aphra is or not. At the beginning of the issue he asks Sana who she is?

Yet in Vader down he seems to already know she's big trouble? Who else got the feeling from Sana's dialogue at the front that maybe her and Aphra weren't lovers after all?

24. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    SilentGuy66 I think Han is asking Sana how well Sana knows Aphra...as in what history has Sana had with Aphra. The one-shot pretty much confirms to me that the Sana-Aphra relationship was a romantic, intimate relationship as Sana is still entranced (in love?) with Aphra and Aphra uses that to her advantage to track down Luke. Solo definitely demonstrated in Vader Down that he knew who Doctor Aphra was (Aphra must have had quite a reputation among smugglers and scoundrels), but what he really wants to know is how Sana knows Aphra and just how well does Sana know her. Sana all but confirmed to Leia that Sana-Aphra were a thing at the end of the Rebel Jail arc. I thought the part in Vader Down focusing on Han Solo being a nobody that Doctor Aphra had never heard of was quite entertaining. Han Solo knew of Aphra before Vader Down, but Aphra had never heard of Solo.

25. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I read it that Han knows how bad Aphra is, and that he wants to know what kind of trouble they are going to be getting in with the situation between Aphra and Sana. He can read the room and deduces there is some unfinished business between Sana and Aphra, but he thinks it is more along the lines of a deal gone bad.

Also, from Leia's dialogue, it is clear that she is trying to be protective of Sana's personal space and that Sana and Aphra were once romantically linked.

Han is just being dense and pushing right past both women's clear interpersonal roadblocks.

Darth_Voider and Jedha John like this.