main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    The oneshot really blew me away, both with the beautiful art and the instant chemistry between Luke and Aphra. It's going to be interesting to compare the difference in dynamic between Aphra/Luke and Aphra/Vader.

The second issue wasn't as good, with a stalling story and less stunning art, but wasn't bad either. Aphra and Luke's dynamic continues to be the highlight, with Aphra's completely unflappable attitude contrasting hysterically with Luke's out-of-place naivety. And it was fun to see Aphra slowly figure out there was a trap because she knew what "candied rat-monkey offal" ought to smell like.

I agree that Han had heard of Aphra's reputation, but didn't know the nature of her connection to Sana. Not that the audience really knows about it either, since it remains an ambiguous situation. All we know so far is that Aphra accused Sana of losing control of a crush during the Rebel Jail arc, and that whatever happened really pissed Sana off. Han being in the dark about Aphra does bring up additional questions about Sana's sexuality, especially since he and Sana are not exactly strangers.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Hopefully you understand the difficulty some might have with accepting Martin Fisher's tweets as a canon source. It's another example of a problem Wookieepedia has in general with being a tad too liberal in what sources it chooses to draw "canon" lore from.

3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I feel like Han already noticed Sana/Dr Aphra, he was joking knowing how Sana can react about it (but Leia knows Han enough and told him to shut up before Sana lose patience)

About the art... I don't know what to say... The good thing is that Dr Aphra looks asian in this #2
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and DelRiego like this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    is... that supposed to be Luke?

5. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    It's Luuke.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah Larroca was off his game a bit. It's possible he was in a rush and therefore was forced to put less effort into facial art than he'd have liked to. The rest of the art was pretty pretty at least.

I should also note that even Checchetto reused some art in the one-shot- there's an image of Han that's almost identical to an image from Shattered Empire. That might lend credence to the theory that the artists were being rushed.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  7. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Larroca was totally on his game: extreme tracing. I usually don't even notice this stuff that much but there were several pages where the characters had their back on us or were looked at in an angle because he didn't have a proper photo at hand to trace the face. And then, from the traced faces, most didn't even match the emotions that were supposed to be showing.

And Sana, oh man.

Love the story, though

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    To be honest I really prefer Larroca's style over many of the other artists that have worked on the Star Wars lines. Guess it just goes back to personal tastes.

Story was good. Second part of a six part series is always going to be a little bit on the slow side but it did move the plot along. Will definitely be interesting what they do with Aphra's character both during the remainder of this arc and after the arc is over.

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not going to argue about that. Some people will say we're too liberal (the case you're bring up), and others that we're not liberal enough (names of droids models, sectors and systems names from the Essential Atlas, and so on). I, for one, have stopped caring about this.

10. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    And that's fine, since it's increasingly off-topic in this thread anyway. I just hope someone at the Wook starts caring eventually because the issue makes the site unreliable as a resource for researching Story Group canon.

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Do it yourself, I'm sure it will be perfect.
    Now I rest my case.

Daneira likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Finally! We have a Marvel response to this DHC classic:

[​IMG]

13. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I am NOT going to like that. :shudders:

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Ah, the joys of the lightbox! Are we sure this is meant to be the same character?
    [​IMG]

KikReask likes this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Looking at those two pics side by side, half of the problem with the art is the colorist. There are WAY too many gradations going on. It looks like the gradients were done in PowerPoint.

16. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    I'm a big fan of the picture on the left...right before they open the door...dread, fear of the unknown. The depictions of Aphra at the table are a mixed bag ranging from very good (the noodle-scarfing one is a favorite of mine) to very bad..

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IMO, the most confusing depiction of Aphra came from the Vader Down arc.

[​IMG]

18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The art in the Screaming Citadel one shot was absolutely amazing, maybe my favourite from all the Marvel comics.

And the story so far looks like it was heavily inspired by Stoker's Dracula, which isn't bad.

However, I don't know which body part is Luke using when he's interacting with Aphra, but it definitely isn't his brain...

Darth_Voider likes this.
  19. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015

The image on the right is... yikes. Talk about the uncanny valley.

20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm not sure what I said to warrant that kind of angry reaction - I wasn't being personal and my criticism of some of the Wook's choices regarding what it considers canon isn't exactly baseless. But okay. Yes, let's rest it.

21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I love how in the panel on the right, Aphra's blocking Luke. Saves having to draw his face!

DelRiego likes this.
  22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm honestly going to be disappointed if nobody makes this thing into an avatar.

24. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    A zombie Gungan.....

[​IMG]

Good thing one of Aphra's droids has a flamethrower.

Chris_Fives, Daneira and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    With a third mutant arm coming out of its chest...

Revanfan1 likes this.