main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Right. I think the problem is that there's no way Ciena got aboard the Devastator between Scarif and Tatooine, which some people are assuming happened because she didn't mention being at that battle...which hadn't been written as of LS's writing anyway.

Daneira likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It didn't literally crash into it - it just jumped in right onto top of it and blew it up with turbolaser fire.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Lost Stars does make you believe that Ciena was not at Scariff and that there was a little bit of time that passed inbetween the plans getting stolen and the beginning of Ep. IV.

It's just another one of those things though where if we are having to go to the level where we are disecting individual paragraphs to find some inconsistencies that shows how good of job they are doing right now with the canon. We aren't talking about characters personalities being altered from one book to the next or multiple different tales about the same event with completely different characters involved.

When they are trying to build a large scale universe through lots of different medias there are always going to be some inconsistencies no matter how good of job they are doing. As long as the inconsistencies continue to be pretty minor though and we don't end up with a situation where there are five different stories about the same event and things like that than we can all relax and be happy things are being run as smoothly as they are.

4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't don't find small timeline inconsistencies a big deal at all and I feel like discussions about reconciling them are unnecessary. The story group is more concerned about keeping the overarching story of the universe consistent and ensuring the stories are authentically Star Wars. The reason such timeline issues appear is because they aren't a huge concern. It's more important that the Death Star plans were stolen at Scarif than who was present on the capital ships during the space battle. Or the fact that capturing a Star Destroyer is really difficult and was a rare occurrence is more important than how many were stolen prior to Jakku. If the story group cared about all of these small details we'd likely see a detailed timeline of events rather than just knowing which stories come first and in some cases we don't even know that.

My point in bringing these up wasn't to criticize the construction of the story. Rather, I was trying to point out that a lot of these details aren't that important and so aren't completely consistent. As a result, taking a reference to time, which can be interpreted in multiple ways, in one book as absolute isn't the best approach. I don't think the story group should try to keep all of that consistent. It would be sure to do and telling a good story is more important than ensuring every small detail is consistent. However, I do think that if those in charge aren't concerned with exact timeline placement, we shouldn't be either.

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah and to be honest if they were going to try to track down every single niddy griddy detail we would likely only be getting about one or two books a year. It would be nearly impossible to keep track of everything considering how much we are getting.

Revanfan1 and JediKnight75 like this.
  6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Preview pages for Star Wars #32.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sana called Triple-Zero "Creepio". A dream has come true. [face_party]
    Thanks, Marvel.

7. Billyjeanplxiv

Billyjeanplxiv Jedi Master star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    Ive always imagined Triple Zero with Creepios voice.

8. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I actually approve of Sana's message. You need to fight monsters with monsters. If a monster comes knocking, don't be naive and offer it cookies.

Man, I hate indecisive Luke and Jacen in NJO so much.

Jedi for Jedi! Kyp Durron for Grand Master!

9. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    OK...it's official. Issue 32 of SW is going to kick serious aft port.

10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    who is this kid?
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and La Calavera like this.
  11. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I don't see any OOCness myself

I gotta asks If I as an author introduce a blonde female character who loves hot chocolate and likes Luke, and later in the same universe about 15 authors using the same character but portray her as vomiting every time she hears hot choloate and likes Han instead, did I portray her out of character or did those 15 different authors?

12. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Star Wars movies came first so the writers need to follow that characterization. It's like Luke being known as a kind person for 30 years and then "you know what? Now Luke is like Palpatine"

13. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Just read issue 32 and I think I'm done with Star Wars Ongoing. After the absolute filler Yoda arc I was hopeful with issue 1 of Screaming Citadel things would pick back up. Issue 1 had great art and an interesting premise.

Unfortunately the rest of the arc for me feels like a train wreck. Terrible art and it feels like the story isn't going anywhere. I understand there's only so much we can learn about the main trio because they have to line up with what we get character wise in ESB, but I was hopeful that there would be some character growth for them in this arc. The trio all feel static and out of character.

The story for me feels like it's trying too hard to hit a B movie feel existing within the GFFA. What is such a shame is we've seen, in my opinion, better execution of this pulpy style story through TCW with the zombie geonosis and zillo beast arcs. Both were done as homages to other genres/films but both felt like the fit in the same universe as the films.

Maybe I am being to hard on this arc, it is just not for me. I'll sit the rest of this one out and hopefully the next arc can return to something a bit more...star wars-y.

iPodwithnomusic and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I didn't enjoy the Yoda arc either, but this video made me appreciate it in retrospect

As for Star Wars 32:
    Lady Gaga aka the Queen turns Han Solo into brain washed Indiana Jones from the Temple of Doom. Black Krrsantan continues to go ape **** on everyone. So everyone is incompetent - the heroes and villains both. Looking forward to the conclusion of this arc just to get away from this story.

15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The sad thing about the main star wars series is that for months now the general consenous has pretty much been "This arc feels like filler/ doesn't live up the potential,hopefully the next one will be better?" and that's been going on since the harbinger arc.
    I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months time, Marvel announce SW Vol 2 and start fresh

16. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    I'm shocked that any issues would be called 'filler'. I mean, the comics are *literally* filler between the features. And Yoda's story, while having no impact on galactic politics, is still awesome and says lots about the character. I dug it.

17. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    me in 2015: star wars comics? Yes please!

me now: star wars comics... *fear*

18. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    just for myself, the story is more important. The art of the comics come secondary.

Of course, having a more attractive Doc doesn't hurt any.

19. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Oh Waru, make it stop

20. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    We now know why Han hates bugs. Also Bawahahaha Yes, bow before your KING!

21. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Pretty good issue, an improvement over the last one. There's still not much narrative purpose for Leia, Han, the droids, or even Krrsantan, and I still long for a streamlined version focusing only on Aphra, Luke, and Sana.

Each of those three had interesting beats. Sana seems to have finally resolved to finish Aphra once and for all, Luke finds some inner strength and then has a wicked fight with the Queen, and Aphra achieves her goal but has a crisis of conscience. I especially liked Aphra's anguish leaving Luke with the Queen and her conversation with Rur about her guilt. I couldn't help a tea-sipping look at her rhetorical question of why she cared so much about Luke. Can't imagine why he's inspiring usual feelings in you, Aphra, really. The Queen also got a lot more personality, and I'm hoping that she survives the next issue.

22. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    It reminds me Scooby doo movie

Luke:
    [​IMG]

Luke and Dr Aphra in Queen's dinner
    [​IMG]

Leia:
    [​IMG]

spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Wow...I'm not sure if it's possible for the final issue in this crossover to redeem the previous four, but this arc got next level ridiculous. I am very open to Star Wars experimenting with different genres including horror, but if it does, I'd like it done well. This is very tropey and cliche, and I hate to bring up Scoobey-Doo again (I see that others brought that up too), but these kinds of tropes are exactly the ones that Scooby-Doo does - as a parody.

But, there is a very small positive thing that I want to mention
    Rur talking to Aphra. A very predictable outcome, but since I like the character of Aphra, I liked that Rur hinted at her "light side". And that's all I liked in this issue. Very, very little, but better than nothing I suppose.

DelRiego likes this.
  24. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Hey, someone update it tor 4/5 for the title?

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    You do realize the series is still a top 10 seller don't you? The comic has continued to be good enough in people's eyes to keep it as one of the top selling series every single month for over two years now. People have been pretty critical of it at times on this board but this place represents a very tiny portion of the people who are actually buying it.

The series is delivering on what it is supposed to deliver on. An ongoing adventure series of the big three. It likely won't reboot until the ST is over and they want to switch time periods to where Rey, Finn, and Poe will be the stars.

As far as how I felt about this issue I really enjoyed mainly because it developed Aphra's character a lot and I am a big fan of hers. I can understand people that aren't such big fans of her character being dissapointed with it though.

vong333 likes this.