main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I remind everyone this is Luke before he discovers Darth Vader is his father. The Luke Skywalker who goes into the cave is one who cuts Vader's head off in a desire to get revenge for his dead Aunt, Uncle, and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

He should have a very black and white view of the universe.

Also, Aphra's help is after she intended to murder him....TWICE. The fact he did let her go rather than slicing her up is his forgiveness.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MyFistForgivesYou

BigAl6ft6 and vncredleader like this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I foresee a Darth Vader/ Mind Queen team up coming in the future....

3. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Well that was a weak end for a weak event. Just like the Yoda arc I'm thankful it's over only we didn't have to wait as long this time. Overall in my opinion this arc felt like a waste of time with the exception of the first issue which set up too much promise. If the next few issues are going to be one shot stories then I hope they're at least long issues and not breeze through it in 5 minutes issues.

spicer and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I guess the next issues are as long as usual. There has not been an official announcement that these would be longer issues.

5. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    vncredleader You raise some good points...
    When Luke is hooked up to that apparatus and Aphra leaves, that must have crushed Luke. Aphra does return to help Luke, but the totality of the whole experience with Aphra tested his faith in her immensely. Very comical line by Luke about Aphra's murder droids giving a lobotomy to R2's stand-in. Aphra wanted to betray Luke again to leave with the crystal and leave Luke with the Queen, but she just couldn't do it...this fact should stick in Luke's mind when he struggles with what Aphra is all about.

jamminjedi23 I think you're absolutely right with the Han/Leia parallels and this issue had to end this way. Wondering how many issues will pass until Luke/Aphra cross paths again. Whatever happened to Sana's pact with the murder droids? That plot point just fizzled away.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I find everything Aphra planned to be existentially worse than anything Han did. She is a much much darker character than Han.

Han ran.

Aphra turned Luke over to something worse than the Empire and always planned to.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    She may be a much darker character than Han.

but that's part of her attraction for me.

She's fun.

Does she need to be "saved"? Is she fine as she is? Would her attraction be gone if she was "saved"?

8. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Agree that Aphra is "darker" than Han...no doubt.

But, Mara Jade was darker than Aphra. Mara was pretty much an assassin for the Emperor himself. It doesn't get much worse than that. And if Luke was down with that in an alternate universe, he can definitely be down with Aphra as a romantic interest in this new canon.

Aphra has to keep her mischievousness...that's what makes her so intriguing.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Mara was basically raised by Palpatine. Everything she did in his service she did because she thought it was the right thing to do. Aphra has a much weaker moral core. To state otherwise is Luphra revisionism, pure and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Daneira I seriously like the term "Luphra revisionism". Aphra too has some convenient excuses as to why she is how she is. Mom murdered due to instability in the galaxy. Papa was a rolling stone in search of the Ordu Apspectu. But the big question is...Can you be raised by pure evil, believe it is "the right thing" and still claim to have a strong moral core?

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

It would be cool but Aphra is asian while Rey is white.

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    your world view in that case will be warped for sure.
    But my problem with Mara was her apparently saying "you are as vile as he is." at the end.

Say for example you are a daughter of a bank robber who raised you, put food in your stomach, paid your tuition, introduced you to his friend who knew a guy who knew a guy and you end up a millionaire CEO. But then the cops show up and tell you, your father is a dang bank robber. You don't just spit in your father's face and say you dang slime from the behind of a hutt.

13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    OMG It came to this thread.

1) Rey could still be Rey Palapatine

2) Rey could be adopted

3) Luke and Aphra could still happen. Have people actually seen the kids of Chinese/White Men/Women parents?

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The Aphra comic is doing a good job turning Aphra into a more complete character. The first arc dealt with her father and we find out that even though she blames him for her mothers death she still does really care for him. Second arc dealt with her working with the big 3 and we find out that deep down she does care what they think of her. If you aren't reading the Aphra comic you definitely should as they are doing a great job turning her into something more than just the black and white character we saw in the Vader comic.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Aphra can't be Rey's mother because Rey's mother is Rey herself via time travel. She's also her own father, kidnapper, Unkar Plutt, Darth Plagueis and Snoke. This is true because I said so.

16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It is known.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Blame the Skywalker genes being divine. :)

18. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I agree that the breaking point for Luke was when he was strapped to that table, being smoked by the Queen, and he begged Aphra for help. Even though she was obviously conflicted, even though she came back, in that moment there was a deep betrayal that showed their fundamental differences. Luke would unhesitatingly risk his life to travel across the galaxy to save his friends, something which Han, Leia, and Sana proved they would also do for him. Aphra turned her back on him when he was right in front of her, pleading. So I don't have an issue with Luke's stance at the end, but I do feel that the writers never quite justified his trust and loyalty in the beginning. The sudden turn was kind of jarring, but worth it given the implications about their feelings for each other that resulted.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think they counted on the audience buying into the idea that a 19 year old guy would become instantly infatuated with a nice looking older flirtatious woman.

Darth Zane and Darth_Voider like this.
  20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

If she was a stranger to him but he already knew her

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Luke Skywalker is based on classical Pulp heroes ala a certain OTHER archaelogist adventurer who looks like Han.

Luke going to help a beautiful but dangerous woman is just part of Luke's genre.

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Does everyone's copy of Doctor Aphra #8 say "Screaming Citadel 5 of 5" on the cover?

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Exactly. Aphra is essentially the femme fatale of the story. But of course more complicated by the end due to her interaction with Luke.

24. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    "You did that, to her?"

"Your Sam's a detective, Effie."

25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    The arc had some flaws but I think it finished up really well, and gave us some incredible character moments that remind us that Luke is a soldier who has been through a lot and is willing to use lethal force against something as dangerous as the Queen, but also...he's got that pure heart that allows him to recognize the coldness of knowledge without ethics or morality (or a force connection) to guide it and rejects the spirit in the crystal to instead act like a true Jedi.

The Queen's control slipping to those that are the next strongest was a nice touch, as was Han being true to himself as well, by first enjoying the power but then realizing what it really meant and freeing everyone.

Creepio absolutely dragging Aphra by pointing out that Luke has faced things just as bad as her and perhaps worse but come out of it a happy, well adjusted, and moral human being was a surprisingly good observation that reminds the reader that Aphra falls well well short of any sort of redemption, but this is also LUKE we're talking about, and a young Luke, and if the story is an eventual redemption story I think we all know that despite everything Luke would step up to help her and believe that she could change.