main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    That's because the Star Wars issues are drawn by Salvador Larroca, who also worked on the Darth Vader series.

Jedha John likes this.
  2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Hmmm... not really feeling this.. the finale of the issue didnt feel like SW for me... oh well... lets see how it plays out in next issues..

DelRiego likes this.
  3. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    I kind of hope these Force vampires of the Screaming Citadel turn out to be the new Prophets of the Dark Side, although unlike the Prophets, I prefer them to remain independent of the Empire. And while the Story Group has been pretty solid in keeping things connected and meaningfully planned out in advance, I wouldn't object to seeing this experience really be the catalyst to shake away Luke's naivete and the event that leads us to the more confident and serious Commander Skywalker we get in TESB.

Hell--assuming they pull this off well, the Screaming Citadel could be a pivotal experience in Luke's post-ROTJ travels and quests to uncover the secrets and mysteries of the Jedi Order. Maybe he'll even learn a thing or two about uncovering ancient relics and clues from Aphra...

Vialco likes this.
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    She used to work for the Empire, and now is a mercenary. And she maybe fancies Luke. And, uh, and... well, lots of similarities. Lots!

Not advocating the comparison, to be fair, just wondering if Aphra has been considered among the increasing line-up of potential Mothers Of Rey.

revan772 likes this.
  5. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    Aphra being Asian kinda puts her out of the running by default.

dragonchic and DelRiego like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, I could have been sure that the writer said somewhere that Aphra was supposed to be Asian, but even if he did say it in some interview that doesn't make it "canon".

I don't think he would have said this though if he knew Aphra was to be Rey's mother.

Also, Mara was proficient with the Force, but I'm not sure Aphra is lining up to be a Jedi. And considering what happens to Luke's Jedi, maybe that's good.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This again?

Aphra is Asian, we can take that as definitive. Her portrayal is consistent, and we've been told it's intended.

Also, I'd say that I wouldn't try to connect every character in the books or comics with the sequels.

8. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    "Used to work for the Empire" is basically the only thing Aphra and Mara have in common and even that's pretty superficial when you think about what their roles were. Aphra is an interesting character in her own right, she doesn't need to be the new version of anyone from the old canon. By the same token, I don't want to settle for a "Mara-ish" character in new canon while other fan favorites like Thrawn get to be properly re-canonized.

There's also no way Lucasfilm is dumb enough to try to pass Daisy Ridley off as half-Asian. If Luke and Aphra have a kid in the ST, it's more likely to be Rose (and I don't see that as probable but who knows, John Boyega did say Rose has an interesting backstory).

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    No, Luke and Aphra's daughter is Jessika Pava. She's not named Skywalker because everyone in the galaxy would start trying to kidnap her or corrupt her. Luke and Aphra are a lot smarter than Han and Leia.

revan772 and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also as of yet all we know is that Aphra is into women.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    And Sana still seems to be into her. [face_thinking]

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Gao Yuanyuan as Aphra and Ruth Negga as Sana. Time to make the movie!

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...who the heck hasn't been Rey's mother at this point?

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Though I think it is highly highly unlikely that Aphra will end up being Rey's mom for pretty much all the reasons stated above. Though to be honest if they do intend to have Rey be Luke's kid (which I don't believe much either (and hopefully nobody from the Rey lineage thread comes over here and starts spamming because I said that)) and her being left on Jakku without Luke really knowing. If they intend to do that having a character like Aphra being the mom would be a way to make that work. You could totally see Aphra doing something like that to a kid of hers.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Just pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if the First Order stole some of Luke's DNA to create their own super-powered Force user as a weapon, but then had to hastily abandon the project (perhaps Rey's adoptive parents had a change of heart, as is usually the case in such stories, and left Rey on Jakku to hide her from Snoke). Thus, Rey can be Luke's daughter without him necessarily getting married, etc.

Back on topic, the villain of this comic book seems a lot like S'ybll from Legends, who Luke had a few run-ins with.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    *Ponders*

You think it could be Arto, maybe? Would explain hoe Rey understands droid-speak...

Reymom: Intergalactic Uterus of Mystery?

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Aside from being Female Han Solo-esque rogues?

18. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    What?

Have we been reading the same Dr. Aphra? With all the father/daughter drama that occurred in the past, I absolutely cannot see Aphra putting her own child through something similar.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I could. I think it would fit her character to do something like that.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    "Evil is a strong word"

Luke should have said, "Not really."

21. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I read the first chapter now and I have to say WOW! The Art is amazing and the story is very cool. Probably the best Art in all new Marvel Comics!

22. Ross_N

Ross_N Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2016
    I lost interest in the Aphra solo title but she was a lot of fun here and I'll be happy to continue reading this story.

I admit I definitely got a flirty/attraction vibe from Aphra and Luke while reading but if she really is only into the ladies I guess I might be seeing something that isn't there.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As you liked it, watch out for the name Chechetto, as he's the artist on the one-shot.

Vialco and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  24. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    NNNNOOOOOO!!! Chechetto is only doing the One-Shot!?! UGH. I had it in my mind that he was doing the entire 5 part series. Maybe it was just because he did the main covers for all 5 issues.

I am so sad now.

revan772 and spicer like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, at least you won't go into your local next week and be shell-shocked by the Larroca art.[face_devil]

(Though I think the online bitching over his output is misplaced and excessive, he's fast and good enough to keep up with Marvel's twice monthly shipping requirement.)

SensationalSean likes this.