Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin, Jun 18, 2017.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay, so the act of transferring hardcopy typed at work, to my home PC, has generated three equally valid story titles:

Sleeping Beauty, was what I was originally going to call it. Does what it says on the tin.

The Princess of Renatasia, as I firmed up where to look.

Operation Bizarre Rescue, as quoted by someone who cannot believe they are actually investigating a fairy tale.

Which title do you think is better, please?

Also, if anyone here has naturally.straight hair, that they have dyed, how many days was it before others were able to spot roots (UK term for the original hair colour growing out)?
    Last edited by Sith-I-5, Nov 12, 2017
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    The third one has a humorous undertone [face_thinking] But I like the second one, focuses on the heroine and the place sounds exotic :cool:
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  3. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  4. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I like #2 AND #3. I don't know which one would be better for the tone of what you're working on. Could you use the one you didn't pick for a different story? Or write the same story from a different POV? #2 sounds like a traditional fairy tale. #3 sounds fun and zany.

Also, I've got straight hair and (alas!) now gray roots. It depends what type of hair dye I use. If I use the 'permanent' stuff, it's about a month before my hair grows out and the roots show. However, there is also 'semi-permanent' hair color; it gradually washes out over time. Lasts about 1-2 weeks. And there are those colored hairsprays for theater or costuming, they're a one-shot; they last until the next hair wash. So, since this is GFFA and their beauty products must have all kinds of capabilities, I suppose you could have the roots show whenever it suits you as the author. :)
  5. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm for #3.

As for the other question...takes about three weeks for my mom, who uses permanent stuff and is in her 70s. I don't dye my hair.
  6. Chyntuck Force Ghost

star 5
    @Sith-I-5 I like both 2 and 3; I think the choice between them depends on whether you want the title to emphasise the fairytale aspect of the story (#2) or the zaniness (#3) :p

As for roots, they'll show faster if your character has short hair. I gave up dying my hair because the roots would show after just a couple of weeks when I started buzz-cutting it to 2.5 cm.
    Last edited by Chyntuck, Nov 12, 2017
  7. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    So it was here I erroneously posted this, I thought I had just mistakenly deleted this (meant for the 'A thread for art' thread) instead of posting it in the wrong thread. Sorry for the inconvenience [face_beatup]
  8. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thank you to all who responded to my queries.

I think The Princess of Renatasia wins through!

@Gamiel - I really liked your artwork there.
  9. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    So, I had a reply typed up for you... and then my cat leaped on me. But basically, I understand the berserk muse... though not quite to your extent. My muse is currently happy in Mav's West Wing universe, and I'm having so much fun writing. I seriously haven't had this much writing fun since late 2015. Part of me wants to get back to Star Wars - I have 2 ideas for replies to challenges. I am currently debating between another WW diary for 2018, or making my SW AU OC idea work in diary (AND I REALLY WANT TO DO BOTH). Plus I do have a fic that I said I would turn into a series (though the muse completely went MIA). But I'm not sure if I want to go back to SW, or if I just feel obliged for some reason (I'm a loyal person, don't judge me).

So, I agree with @Ewok Poet (and I think I need to listen to her advice). Just do what the muse wants on any given day. So what if you don't get things completed (or, as in my case, drift off from your first fandom-love). Fanfic is for fun.

If you have been wanting to try the DDC, then go for it. It is so much fun (says the person probably doing another 2 narrator entry next year).

I guess my advice is to make a list. Then in that list, jot down all your ideas. That way, you won't lose them, but you also get to try your hand at everything you want to try.
    Last edited by Briannakin, Nov 12, 2017
    Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Chyntuck Force Ghost

star 5
    Hahaha. I suddenly remembered a fic idea that had been spawned by a discussion in the Fifty Titles challenge, and I came on the boards to check the details before adding it to my list... to see that @Briannakin was suggesting I make a list.

The universe is telling me something, but what?
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  11. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 5
  12. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5

Wait. Wait.

Are YOU the Universe?

HALP!1!1!

*jumps off the cage into the trash bin...mmm, rotten bird seed*

Seriously, I have a list, too.
    Last edited by Ewok Poet, Nov 13, 2017
    mavjade likes this.
  13. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
  14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Master

star 4
    I should probably make a list. Maybe I will. Eventually. I'm lazy.
  15. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    "Never underestimate the calming power of lists." -Ben Skywalker
  16. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Okay, not true. I made a RL list and it just freaked me out. I can feel my heart beating in my throat. :(
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade