main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm reminded of the musical Hamilton. For those unfamiliar with it (or the historical events the musical is based on), in the 2nd to last song, the antagonist/narrator Aaron Burr shoots his former friend/turned enemy Hamilton in a duel and Hamilton later dies from his injuries. But Burr sings the line "I strike him right between his ribs / I walk towards him, but I am ushered away". While Burr doesn't go to Hamilton's side, the desire is there and there's this sense of urgency in how it is sung and acted on stage. It is extremely powerful, and heart-breaking to see those emotions play out without being completely in the character's head (but you kinda are since the whole song is about Burr regretting killing Hamilton).

But I think the second part of your question can really be broadened to any sort of really intensely emotional/powerful scene. I think there are certain advantages to writing that screen/camera POV media just can't grasp, and vice versa. I think both can display powerful emotions if those writing/producing are talented enough, but it is a different approach.

pronker, brodiew and mavjade like this.
  2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Great example, Briannakin. I agree that expressing such a scene in writing enables us a different lens from which to view either party in the duel. We can get into their heads. On screen we are left with dialogue and body language, which are powerful, but it also nice to see inside the minds of the participants.

The one I referenced form Into the Badlands was unique in that and aging 'samurai' is living in isolation after leaving the killing life, but also has no purpose for living. The Hero arrives, also a samurai for a different faction. One has left the life. The other is attempting to leave the life. When the older asks for a duel (with a worthy challenger) the Hero refuses, but later his hand is forced. Tropes would say the younger Hero defeats older in battle and gives him the noble death he desires. Here, the younger Hero denies his opponent the noble death with the reason/excuse that he is tired of killing. Sorry for the long explanations.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    pronker likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Force Ghost star 6

Dec 16, 2012
  4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm wanting to work in a fanfic genre that is not in my wheelhouse, or at least one that I have not done before. I'm not talking about fandom, but genre. I have my angst tank, my romance tank, humor tank, and my action tank (though I haven't done much here recently). I have to ask...what else is there? [face_mischief]

Drama (which usually turns to angst for me)
    Family
    Friendship
    Spiritual
    Tragedy
    Crime
    Mystery
    Fanstasy
    Suspense
    Supernatural/horror
    Western

Given my propensity for short form writing, some of these don't necessarily make sense. What to do? Suggestions? Hook me off the stage?

Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    Family, Friendship, Spiritual these can and do lend themselves to one-shots even to drabbles, the last especially to introspection. :cool:

6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Force Ghost star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Supernatural/ horror could also be done as a one shot. Western probably could, too

I guess what to do kind of depends how far afield you want to go. Friendship and family would be a natural fit with the Rebels characters or Han and Chewie. You could take one of your preferred genres and build on it, like family humor (always a good choice for Rebels, too. Lookin’ at you Ezra and Zeb...) or supernatural humor, family-based angst, western or supernatural themed action, etc.

You could check out some genre based writing prompts and see if anything clicks for you.

Or you could take the ultimate challenge and jump into the saccharin world of syrupy sweetness, complete with cute younglings and fluffy pittins :). :D

This would actually be kind of a cool idea for a challenge, to pick an unfamiliar genre and write a short piece. Now it's got me wondering what I could do to push my boundaries a bit!

Kahara, Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What some might think of as aa rut is actually a niche. [face_thinking] You write not only what is comfy but what feels right with your temperament and tastes and what you know your readers will read. @};- @};- If it ain't broke, why fix it? [face_laugh] =D= =D= [:D] In other words, don't feel you have to branch out unless you just WANT to. LOL Feels natural and wonderful, the humorous/family/friendshippy space. [face_love]

Kahara, divapilot, Tarsier and 4 others like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Force Ghost star 6

Dec 16, 2012
    Since you have Fantasy on your list (with is more of a setting then a genre) I guess that you could ad Sciences-Fiction, Alternative History and Historical to the list.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Seeing the efforts to rescue this raccoon scaling a 23 storey building - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44465587 - I think we could do with seeing a version in the Star Wars universe; Republic clone forces, for instance, stopping an assault on some Separatist world, because some furry creature has been spotted in a spot of bother somewhere nearby, and diverting assets to rescue it.

Kahara, Findswoman and GregMcP like this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    To get a Mystery working right takes a bit of skill.

It's not so hard to set a scene and a tone and create a few characters to be taken to a destination, but to pace something with a gradually revealing mystery takes more careful planning.

Throwing in subtle hints and misdirects and getting to a climax where the reader is surprised and delighted.

Agatha Christie in your favourite setting.

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you, @Raissa Baiard, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, and @Gamiel, and @GregMcP for you comments.

Nyota, this is something I want to do partly just to shake things up, do something different. I've been using my fandom and SW era pogo stick for the last few months and it has worked pretty well. But when you're not sure what to do next, why not try something new.

As for the saccharin world of syrupy sweetness, I don't even thing my recent Kanera hit the mark. I may have to try again from another angle. That is not say I wasn't happy with it. I just think it missed the mushy definition in my head.

Raissa, Don't make me ask for my OC to meet your OCs. I'm not sure either party would survive. [face_devil] #H/L sparks in Lens/Noemi AU. j/k ;) that is unless...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I have a feeling there’s someone who would object to that pairing....and I’m not sure I can take any more angst from him!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Poor Ronen. That guy needs to give himself a break. But his angst is understandable. He needs a friend. [face_whistling]

14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 5

Jul 31, 2014
    This is one of the best things I have ever read on here.

15. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    What do you do when you’re just stuck on a chapter? I’m three chapters away from finishing the epic I’ve been writing for a year and a half, but this chapter is driving me mad! It feels stilted and redundant to me, even though my beta reader has given me some positive feedback, but the worst part is it. Just. Won’t. End. I feel like I’m repeating the same gestures (the encouraging shoulder pats, the heartfelt hugs, etc) and the same uplifting “we had this chat and then I felt so much better” ending as the previous two chapters. It needs to end so I can move on already, because I’m really starting to hate it. I’ve taken breaks, come back and tried to look at with fresh eyes but I still don’t know how to wrap this thing up. I’m beginning to wonder if I should cut this whole chapter. :(

16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 5

Jul 31, 2014
    I have had the same problem with one chapter since about...two months ago. The next one is ready, but it just WON'T work that way.

To me, it's realistic. :)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  17. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I wish I knew! This sounds very familiar, I've been there more than once. Sometimes I've somehow gotten through, but I can't give advice because I'm not sure how I got through, and I'm not necessarily happy with the results I've gotten when I finally did push through...

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. pronker

pronker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh my, how frustrating!:( You can write sacrificial action, where you focus on the dialogue and decide to worry later if someone's smiling or sitting down and what they might be doing with their hands or objects. You might also allow yourself to write only 'he said' and 'she said' as tags, knowing it's boring since they are easy to swap out later. Erk, getting words to cooperate with your vision is tough.[face_good_luck] Cutting might be the way to go to make you feel in charge again … :bluesaber::greensaber::redsaber::kylosaber:

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Can you yadda yadda it?
    Put it into a sentence or two.
    "They embraced in a manly hug and made copious apologies to each other, and remained friends to the end of their days."

20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @Raissa Baiard, if the exposition of characters touching each is the main hang up, I think pronker has some good thoughts here. If you are pleased with your progress in the dialogue, KEEP GOING! Come back and ad in the additional content later. If phraseology is the is the issue, you have a make shift thesaurus right here to offer alternatives. I/we can help if there is something specific to you want to share, even a paragraph or short exchange of dialogue that isn't working. [:D] :-B[face_idea]

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Raissa Baiard - you could have something completely out of left field occur, which jolts your characters and action.

Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Although I have found that when I branch out and try things that are out of my comfort zone, wonderful things happen... Maybe try writing something different, but don't worry about when/if you'll post it.
    Do it. Delia Dawson, at the Celebration Writing Panel, said "Don't be afraid to kill your babies." If a chapter or a scene isn't working, cut it and start fresh. You can put the chapter aside for something else in the future. I've done this, and it really helps. I think sometimes you have to take risks.

Kahara likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, Raissa! I have to echo what others have said and I've done that even when I'm not stuck. Write the conversation first and add the descriptions of gestures later. Just take it that your characters have a lot to "clear the air" about, that's why there's so much talking and unburdening/venting; but just like in RL, it's liberating and necessary. So much more therapeutic than stuffing it or saying the classic "Nothing's bothering me" when everyone knows it's a big deal.

And =D= well. I guess that's a sign of creative genius. Because it looks seamless and super duper when you finally post whatever you've struggled with. @};-
    ^:)^

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Kahara, Findswoman and Raissa Baiard like this.
  24. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks to everyone for the advice for getting unstuck! [:D] I wound up cutting the part that I felt was the most redundant, and talked things over with my fabulous beta-reader :)rose: Thank you, @Findswoman!) who helped me come at the scene from a different angle that didn’t feel as “emotional chat and heartfelt hugs”. And I decided to let the dialogue carry the story in a couple places instead of forcing in gestures or smiles or whatever just for the sake of putting in some “action”.

Thanks again for all the suggestions—and for listening to me vent. Now I only have Two. Chapters. Left![face_dancing]

GregMcP, Sith-I-5, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Raissa Baiard likes this.