main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo The Script is loaded

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Allen,
    First, Osiris is blind and a blindfold is cheeper than white contact lenses. As for the armor, I'm thinking something like a cross between Ancient Egyptian and Samurai with a little anime influence. We'll talk to it at the party tomorrow.

Second, Galuf 7 is a running gag. No one will really find out what happened. It'll be left up to the imagination, but some times I'll give bizare hints.

Third, I cut alot of the direction, and left in just the basics. Poor basics at that. They're put back into the other script. And you'll find that a number of your questions are answered.

And _JediKnight_
    I have no Idea where we'll build sets, If you have contacts, that would be great, but... I just don't know.

2. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    An egyptian feel would be cool and apropriate with his name and all- Ill look at my weaponry books and see if anything strikes me. pun- intended.

p44:
    CARN and AKBHAR exit. PLAN B enters.
    MAN
    That was him, all right. What do you want with him?
    (plan B????)

p45: ? last # was 45 but i think some #'s are missing:
    CARN
    Why did you leave?

ASTER
    When?

CARN
    Three years ago. I thought I'd never see you again.

ASTER
    I didn't think you were ready.

CARN
    For what?

ASTER
    For us. For me.

CARN
    Was it something I said? Or did?

(call me a cynic but I've found that people -especially two that feel some sort of romantic inclination towards eachother- very rarely speak with such candor. What one says and what one means are usually two very different and distinct things. I really think you need to find a subtle way to have this conversation...)

ok- the page #'s have kinda stopped- i stopped after we meet the mirage crew. Not many story comments here- Just wondering how your gonna find a 7 foot man who can throw 2 people at a man wearing red mandalorian armour who just flew down after sniping at the gang from 150 stories up.. you know, the usual :)

3. _JediKnight_

_JediKnight_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2002
    I have a question for you Corrin. Last night at Handymans you were telling me about the phantoms and that you got a way to make them look pretty good. I was wondering if there was a way you could make a little sample of it that you could post online for me to see what it looks like.

Also, now that I have an idea of what you want the armor to look like I will try to make some more designs.

4. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    Found some good historical examples (assuming the heiroglyphs are accurate) of Egyptain armor. Im not sure how to post the pic though.

5. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Please remember that Ancient Eygpt was featured prominently in the movie Stargate. You certainly don't want replication, do you?

6. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Replication, no. Stylization, yes. Queen Amidala's costumes in E1 were practically replications of Indian princesses (Or some country around that area, I haven't seen the makeing of in some time)

The 7'2" guy will be either CG or something like in LOTR with the hobbits and men. And I cut alot of the direction from the script to buy page space. I don't need to do that anymore.

EDIT: as for the Phantom Test Shot, I don't yet have access to a reliable server to pass out all the tests I've done.

7. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    I have done some research on egyptian armor and there isn't very much information to work with. However, what there is looks really cool.

As for the thing about copying stargate, the people are based on the ancient egyptians but the only thing that their armor has to do with egypt is the fact that they use the animal head to show that they are supposed to be gods. There is nothing else in their armor design that has to do with ancient egyptians so you will be just fine with basing your designs on egyptian designs.

Hopefully you will find a way for us to see the phantom animation tests. I look forward to seeing how it looks.

Also I like the idea of basing some of the armor on samauri armor. There are a lot of examples of this kind to look at for ideas. It would be cool if we found a way to combine the ancient egyptian style of armor with the samauri style of armor.

8. LeiaTygre

LeiaTygre Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I just have to say that Queen Amidalla's (E1)outfits were heavily influenced by Tibet and Japan.

However, Padme's costumes in E2 were Elizabthen influenced. Except for her black outfit and her rainbow lake dress. The black one is circa 1930 and the rainbow dress style is taken from ancient Egyptian. And the Tatooine dress and her "family outfit" (from the deleted scenes) are just pure Star Wars.

Does anyone else find it odd that the normal people of Naboo (the Extra's in E1) were dressed in bright colors and Greco-Roman style but we never see Padme or her family in something like that?

9. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Maybe it's because Padme and her family aren't normal?

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Is ANYBODY normal?

Actually, Padme's EI dresses were Japan, China, Tibet, and Mongolia.

Padme's EII dresses were like a cross between Elizabethan and some guy's dominatrix fantasy . . . [face_plain]

Egyptian would be okay, I guess, but, um. Like Navaren said, used in Stargate already. Might be seen as ripping off. Since I have nothing much to do, I could probably work on some armour ideas. Or we could do it like they did for LOTR: armoury department designs all armour, weaponry, etc. They designed Gollum, Gimli/other dwarves, the elven armour . . .

But, still. You should let me take a look, see if I can suggest anything. We should have a production meeting sometime. Provided I have transportation that isn't the bus (I'm not allowed to take the bus until I'm recovered), I can pretty much meet anywhere/anytime.

Dana

11. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    I found a cool picture of Samurai armor the other day. Now if only i could find it to post it here.

12. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I was actually leaning toward "Prince of Egypt" Egyptian, not "Stargate" And it's just concept art, nothing copyrighted. And the only reason I was leaning towards Egyptian is because the Villian's Names are Isis, Osiris, Sett, Kael, and Anubis (When Carn turns Dark Side)

I've already got Val looking like Jubei in "Ninja Scroll" and Aster looks like an anime gunslinging chick. So Samuri/Anime influence (within reason) is already there.

And my personal definition of "Normal" is: The way everyone else behaves.

EDIT: I found a video game ad that had really cool quotes on it and I just wanted to share them:

The Jedi Code:
    There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no death, there is only The Force.
    Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
    Jedi use their powers to defend and protect
    never to attack others.
    Jedi respect all life, in any form.
    Jedi serve others rather than ruling over
    them, for the good of the galaxy.
    Jedi seek to improve themselves through
    knowledge and training.

The Sith Creed:
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate,
    Hate leads to power, power leads to victory,
    Let your anger flow through you. Your hatred
    will make you strong.
    True power is only achieved through testing
    the limits of ones anger and passing through unscathed.
    Rage channeled through aggression is unstoppable.
    The Dark Side of the Force offers unimaginable power.
    The Dark Side is stronger than the Light.
    The weak deserve their fate...

I saw this in an ad for STAR WARS: Knights of the Old Republic. Their web site is www.swkotor.com for anyone who's interested

13. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Corrin_Wyndryder,

The Jedi Code in this form first appeared in the Patrica C. Wrede Junior Novelization of "The Phantom Menance." In this novelization, Anakin notices the code written above the doorway into the Jedi Council Chambers. Other novels have since used this text of the code including "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter."

I'm not sure where the Sith Creed originated. Obviously, it is based on the words Yoda spoke to Anakin in TPM. Maybe it was written specifically for the Knights of the Old Republic game? Anyone know?

Later,

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I saw the "There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force." thing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before TPM came out. I was, like, a froshie in high school, so that musta been '96 or '97.

Or was it the other thing you were talking about?

You gonna address the production meeting thing, Corrin? Anyway, Egyptian could be interesting, we'd just have to take a slant on it that leans away from "Stargate". Make it a Star Wars-y Egyptian thing.

Dana

15. LeiaTygre

Apr 9, 2002
    I still have something against refering to ancient Egyptian stuff in a Star Wars flick.

How, in a galaxy far, far away, did they come up with the same names (and need I mention SPELLING) as Earthling things? I always thought Star Wars happened during earth's Middle Ages.

GL (and Star Wars Universe) usually gets away with common names by spelling them differently; ie.:

Leah:Leia
    Jason:Jacen (or however you spell his name)
    Kip:Kyp

But they usually use Anglo-saxon or Hebrew types of names if they're going to use ones that we know. (Ben, Leia, Luke, Han, Kyp...)

People will think there is some sort of "Stargate" crossover just because of the blaightenly Egyptian names, whether or not you have the armour resembling it at all.

Okay. I'm done. I just had to get it out of my system.

Oh, Dantana, you know that feather cape Padme wears? I saw it in a 1930's fashion magazine photo.

Nothing is really original in fashion, if you think it is, you haven't done enough research. I learned this from 2 costuming professors (fomr UVSC and BYU), and numberous fashion/costuming books.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Nothing is original.

Hmm. That should be my motto. And my excuse. :D

Dana

17. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Dantana, You and LeiaTyger arrange a meeting and call me. I'm transfering to nightshifts at Wendy's so during the day next week would be preferable. However, the last few production meetings have been less than productive. If you have some new things to show me, I'd be more than happy to see what you've come up with. We're in full preproduction right now, and I'd like to see some of these things getting done.

And yes, LeiaTyger, I'm going to change the names of at least Isis, Osiris, and Sett. They were my idea in the first place, and I can change them if I want to. I just call them that now because that's what they've been written in as. You've expressed your displeasure with these names on several occations and it's really starting to get old. I'm also aware that you will need the actors before you can design body type costumes. Will you make a list of those actors you can't costume without body type info for me for the next meeting please?

As for the quote, I saw the first four lines of the Jedi Code in a Star Wars RPG Source Book published in 1996. The rest of it does seem taken from SW quotes. I thought it was cool, so I shared it.

18. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Corrin,
    do you have a website with info about your movie or is this the only place with info?

I'm just wondering because a website would be easier to get info from than searching all the pages of this board.

Like a website with the scripts, cast, crew, that type of stuff

19. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I will, soon. I will notify everyone when I do.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    You know what, Corrin? I would suggest removing the script from the website. You don't want people lifting it and doing stuff to it, claiming it's there. People do that, and it sucks.

If you want me to webmaster the site, I'd do it. I'm bored out of my mind, with no school and sitting around the house all day. And I have a knack for it, anyway.

Since we have people interested in the movie, we don't need to script to stay on the site. We should just do production info, like they've done for the "The Last Unicorn" remake that's supposed to come out next year.

As for that whole Egyptian thing, I say, pick the element from the costume you're thinking of when you talk about this, and tell the costume department what it is, and we'll bend it to make it Star Wars-ish. That way, it will have a slight Egyptian feel, but won't be blatant in any way.

LT brought up an interesting point about the names. I agree.

Dana

21. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    LT and I have had the discussion about the names, and they WILL change, now drop it. I don't need your constant nagging.

Yes, Dantana, you may feel free to host a web site. In fact, I was concidering asking you to do just that. We'll talk next week.

Edit: Wait, they're doing a "The Last Unicorn" remake? The old anime made by Ranklin/Bass?

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Coolies. Me do website. :D

I'm just the production designer. As the head honcho, YOU are supposed to schedule meetings.

Yeah, they're remaking "The Last Unicorn". Live-action, though. Complete with Christopher Lee reprising his role as King Haggard. They've got Jonathan Rhys Meyers cast as Schmednrick. Rene Auberjonois is playing the Skull and Captain Cully. Amalthea isn't cast yet. I think Orlando Bloom would be great as the prince, whom they also haven't cast. Check out the official site here.

Dana

23. LeiaTygre

Apr 9, 2002
    Actually, the names have kind of grown on me. But what about switching the names of Kael and Isis? Just curious.

Most of them, I'm just going to put the costumes on a standard size form unless the script states otherwise, if that's alright with you. I've got a series of questions I'm just gonna ask you:

The Merchant on p16, is he greasy, scummy, dirty OR slick, sharp, overly prim?

For BARRIN, are you thinking of a mechanic jumpsuit?

Is JAGGER (and his gaurds) imperial gaurd, or independent of imperials (In other words, does he dress like imperials, or does he mimic imperials, but have a different color than them, or a completely different uniform from imperials)?

Does anyone know why some imperials are in black, and some are in that khaki green? I think I've even seen them in grey... Like Grand Moff Tarkin is in khaki/grey, and the underlings all seem to be in black...

Well, I think that's all my questions. Are you still planning as casting JD as "Dead-eye"?

24. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm afraid that won't do. The Lily/Kael character was based on a friend of mine I met in a chatroom. Dantana's brother, Marc, knows her, and if Isis is really the only problem, could we find another Egyptian God that starts with an "Eye" sylable. The whole idea of Isis name was just because he has one eye. That's how I kept them straight.

Isis; One eye. Osiris; No eyes. Sett; the big, silent one. Kael; the female. And just for fun, Carn was going to become Anubis. (Yes, J.D. will still be playing Carn. The part was written for him.)

As for your costuming questions: MERCHANT is well groomed, well dressed, and basicly an upstanding citizen (or at least pretends to be on the outside).
    BARRIN is in a greasemonkey jumpsuit. He's big, gruff, and twice Carn's size, which adds to the humor.
    JAGGER is a real Imperial Guard, but is on the take from Carn. He's in the black uniform.
    As for the differences in Uniform Color, there's a sourse book that tells the difference between Imperial Army and Navy. Sam Todd might have it. I'll try to get it to you. ;)

25. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    LeiaTygre wrote...
    > Does anyone know why some imperials are in black, and some are in that khaki green?

Everything you could possibly want to know about Imperial Insignia is right HERE.

Later,