main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The second Death Star: Palpatine/Sidious didn't really play it smart

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Blasphemous, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    Okay,in ROTJ Sidious/Palpatine says that he was the one who allowed the alliance to get access to the plans so they could spring the trap. My question is: if he was going to set a trap, why not make it fool proof and deliver fake plans to them as well? It's good to have a plan in place should a bunch of teddy bears show up and take out your best legion of troops.

I just find it amazing that a man could engineer the downfall of a great race like the Jedi and take over the galaxy could make such a careless mistake. I mean honestly, what better twist than to have Lando and company fly into their area, hit the target, and nothing? The Death Star could then launch a blast at Endor and elminate the alliance there and easily use the imperial fleet to take out the remaining rebel ships.

2. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    His overconfidence was his weakness I guess.

Never underestimate the POWAAAHHH of the teddy bear people...

3. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    Wesyeed has it spot on - the Emperor was over-confident. He felt that his legion of best troops would squash the small rebel force on the Endor moon. And then they would pick off the Rebel fleet one by one.

My question about this scene: when the Rebels found out that the shield was still operational, why didn't they send fighters down to the planet to pummel said generator?

4. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    If you remember the hologram of the DSII and Endor in the breifing room you will recall that the shield was emiited all the way from the generator and looked as though it surounded a tiny bit of the planet as well (Most likely surrounding the generator itself).

5. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    One thing I never have been able to understand about the Death Star bit is why they had to have a space battle and blow it up the way they did.
    Something like that would be better if they got a small group of Navy Seal like commandos to infiltrate the station and plant bombs in strategic areas then detonate them by remote control.

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Thing is, people complain that the Death Star plot line was rehashed in ROTJ and wasn't very original. Having more scenes with people dressed up in storm trooper armor running around the Death Star in ROTJ would've been too much.

Also, with the Emperor on board, security would be pretty tight.

7. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    He played it really smart.

8. Mustafar_Knights

Mustafar_Knights Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    There's really only so many ways to design a ship like that. You've got to have a power core somewhere. I doubt they could radically alter the design of the DSII and still have it function properly.

Although, if I were Sidious, I would have waited for the DSII to be complete and then let the plans "slip" into the Alliance's hands; but make the plans look like the thermal exhaust ports were still vulnerable, thus luring them into a battle they couldn't possibly win.

9. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    Definately boils down to being way to overconfident.

The empire out numbered the rebellion nearly 10-1. The Star destroyers didn't even attack.

The whole trap was set not so much to squash the rebellion but to try and turn luke to the dark side.

Palps was just toying with them to try and spark lukes anger. Which gave han and his team enough time to knock out the shield.

There were several unknown variables the emporer couldn't factor into his plan.

1- Lando's move to attack the star destroyers at point blank.

2- Vadar's betrayal.

3- Ewoks

If they would of simply blown up Endor, it would of killed everyone. Being as the DS2 was in orbit around the moon and the moon was 1000x+ bigger than the ds2.

10. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Then again, who said the Emperor was smart? Notice he always had othee people doing his dirty work for him. I don;t think a lot of the time he thought for himself.

11. KMG-365

Feb 11, 2005
    Then again, who said the Emperor was smart?

His plan for coming into power was pretty devious. Sure, he delegated the implementation of the plan to others, but it was his plan.

12. Saberwielder315

Oct 14, 2004
    True, but he could have been man enough to do more of it himself instead of sitting in his nice big chair.

13. KMG-365

Feb 11, 2005
    True, but he could have been man enough to do more of it himslef instead of sitting in his nice big chair.

I'll hold judgement on that until ROTS comes out. For him to do it himself any earlier would be tipping his hand to the Jedi before it was time.

14. Saberwielder315

Oct 14, 2004
    That I can agree with, but there are ways to be sneaky and Behind the Scenes without being caught.

15. KMG-365

Feb 11, 2005
    That I can agree with, but there are ways to be sneaky and Behind the Scenes without being caught.

He was more personally involved in TPM (even though he was a holographic image). Perhaps the failings of his apprentice made him think it best if he laid low for a while.

When he became Emperor, though, it doesn't make sense for him to assume the tasks himself. Why risk his own neck when he has armies that will do that for him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.