main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The second Death Star's reactor core.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by plutoneam, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    Vader throws Palpatine down the main reacore core. We see the rebel fighters fly into, and fire at, where it leads. Those fighters came in from, and are still in, the vaccum of space. If Luke and Vader are in a room that has the vacuum of space, wouldn't they die?

2. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    The hangar doors of the DS and star destroyers/Alliance ships are also "open" to the vacuum of space...

the magic word is Magnetic Containment Field ;)

3. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Isn't that 3 magic words? :p

4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    If Luke and Vader are in a room that has the vacuum of space, wouldn't they die?

But Vader did die.

Kidding.

Anyway, whenever I wonder about things like this, I always think: it's a different universe. Perhaps other rules apply.

5. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    oh feetch *g* you're right, chum ;)

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Vader didn't throw Palpatine down the reactor shaft, at least not the main reactor.

Think about it- how could Palpatine fall half way across a MOON-sized object in the matter of 5 to 7 seconds? ::)

In fact, I'd be surprised if he managed to even reach the bottom of the Throne Tower by then.

Most likely he smacked a catwalk or something within the Throne Tower on the way down, or, at the very least, a mini reactor powering his tower.

7. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Not so fact my young padawans...
    The emperor did not make it as far as the reactor core.

Take a look at the exterior of Paplatines tower. Look at its scale and size. The Emperor would have impacted somewhere near the internal base.

Here is another proof...
    When the Executioner Star Destroyer collides with the Death Star it is long enough to have crashed to the core of the Death Star.

Palpatine would have never made it that far down the supposed shaft.

8. Your_Best_Bastage

Your_Best_Bastage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    I wonder who here reads supershadow...

It was a mini-reactor. The Emperor would have his personal throne room sectioned off from the rest of the Death Star, including energy sources, etc. He's just arrogant like that.

9. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanx. That had been bugging me.

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I wonder who here reads supershadow...

People who are wasting their money supporting a lying idiot, of course. :)

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Since the jedi can slow their falling speed threw the Force, I don't think the fall itself could have killed the Emperor.
    There was probably some kind of reactor inside the tower that he impacted on...

12. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Palps exploded on impact, remember, he has lightning force he is made of Evil Enegy.

Just a thought... There is no real possible way that the second reactor could have been damaged or Luke would still be carrying Vaders limp and decaying body down those stairs.

Remember when the Millenium Falcan went into the Death Star II? Can anyone truly explain that if there was no vaccume of space inside the Death Star II when why would there have been a open space from Palpatines throne room to the reactor? And wouldn't that throne room also be subject to the same vaccume as the main reactor.

But it is magnetically sealed!!!

No chance, not yet, not until the Death Star II was compleated. Which it never was.

If there was another reactor it would have had to have been strong enough to have keep the station powered or it would have imploded.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Throne Tower's shaft did run all the way down to the main reactor of the DS2.

If Palpatine did hit any kind of reactor, it would only be a very small one capable of sustaining the tower, not the entire station.

14. DarthGelatinous

DarthGelatinous Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2001
    I'm not so sure that Emperor died in the shaft. We never did see the shaft burp afterwards.

No burp = ambiguous death

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    But the dragonsnake that swallowed Artoo burped, yet Artoo made it out okay.

16. MasterGizz

MasterGizz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2003
    Is the reactor shaft destroyed by the Falcon and the X-Wing (was it Wedge?) supposed to be directly in the centre of the Death Star II? Because if it is, wouldn't it be impossible due to geometry that this is the same shaft in the Emperor's throne room?

The Emperor has a window outlooking space (from where he can see the space battle raging outside) - and so the throne room is obviously placed on the circumference of the Death Star. Wouldn't that mean that the reactor shaft would have to be at a complete right-angle to this window to pass through the centre of the space station?

I may well be wrong, but just a thought... if anyone can think more logically than I can at this time of day, please feel free to comment!

~G~

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The throne room is at the north pole of the Death Star. The main reactor is in the exact center of the station.

So the shaft from the throne room would lead down to the center of the Death Star.

18. MasterGizz

Jan 4, 2003
    I'm still very confused on the physics of the whole thing... but then again, I don't pretend to understand that much about space!

~G~

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Maybe this diagram will help:

................T
    ...........---|||---
    .......------|||------
    ...---------|||---------
    -----------|||-----------
    -----------(0)-----------
    -------------------------
    ...---------------------
    .......---------------
    ...........---------

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops, in my last post, "The Throne Tower's shaft did run all the way down to the main reactor of the DS2." should have read "The Throne Tower's shaft did notrun all the way down to the main reactor of the DS2.

And even if it did, there would mag fields in place to prevent atmopsheric loss- same as they do in the docking bays.

Though it would not make sense for the Emperor to allow the possibility of his throne room being exposed to vacuum at the flip of switch, so I doubt it was connected.

And again, unless the Emperor had a hyperdrive shoved up his butt, there ain't no way he's gonna reach the main reactor in only a few seconds.

21. MasterGizz

Jan 4, 2003
    Bib Fortuna, thanks for the diagram, and I'm sure you're right...

...but still don't get how the window would be looking directly out of the circumference, and the shaft can be perpedicular to it without it being at a different angle to that of which we see it...

Don't worry, won't carry on the thread anymore as it's a bit pointless! But thanks for the attempted explanation [face_clown]

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    ................T......................Battle
    ...........---|||---
    .......------|||------
    ...---------|||---------
    -----------(0)-----------
    ...---------------------
    .......---------------
    ...........---------

The windows looking out of the throne room are perpendicular to the shaft, and on a tangent to the curve of the Death Star.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm not so sure that Emperor died in the shaft. We never did see the shaft burp afterwards.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I figured that explosion we saw was Palpy's death. Vader didn't just throw Palpy over a railing; they were having a full-fledged Force battle, so there were a lot of things going on there we didn't see.

MasterGizz: The crux of the matter is there's no privileged direction in space. The throne room could have been at the north pole, the south pole, or the equator of the DS, and it wouldn't have mattered. The battle still could have seemed "right-side up" from that vantage point because we don't know which way was up from, say, the Executor's point of view.

24. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    Why is there a "Shaft" at all in the Throne room ??

25. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "Why is there a "Shaft" at all in the Throne room ??"

It is a recurring theme in the saga. Your question is way too easy to induce my sick mind to reply. Let's see: So Palps can be shafted as he has done to the galaxy for all these many years? Star Wars is all about symbolism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.