main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Secondary Villain Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheAvengerButton, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I know that there are a lot of people out there who wanted Maul to return. I also know that there were others that didn't enjoy the contributions that characters like Dooku and Grievous brought to the films. I, however, enjoyed all three villains and their roles in the saga. Maul was essentially a brute, an assassin used to further the initial goals of Palpatine, and put the fear back into the complacent Jedi Order that the Sith had returned.

Count Dooku, however, was a charming aristocrat and politcal manipulator, exactly the kind of man that Palpatine needed to create conflict. On the outside he is an idealist against the ideals of the Republic. On the inside, he is a cold, manipulative Sith Lord plotting against the Republic and his own master.

And Grievous? How awesome is Grievous? A former warrior turned into a fighting machine, most likely serving the purpose of being anti-Jedi propoganda and military leader. He also serves to be a Vader prototype. I don't care what anyone says, Grievous is quite the badass. He is one of my favorite things about the Prequel movies.

Lets show our love for these guys, eh?

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm with you all the way, TAB! These guys are greatly entertaining characters in their own right.
    What's truly fascinating about them is that even though it wasn't planned that way, they also serve as foreshadowers of different aspects of Darth Vader: Maul, the obedient apprentice - Dooku, the charismatic second-in-command with an agenda of his own - and Grievous, the imposing and iconic cyborg.
    I think destiny had a hand in it ;)

Cyborgs - they're imposing
    /LM

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    These villains are cool, but I'm hoping we get to see more of them in action before the show gets cancelled. I would especially like to see more of their skills in strategy and battle tactics so we're reminded why these guys were chosen by Darth Sidious.

4. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    I am really sad about what happened to Greivious.

5. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Of the new characters introduced to the Star Wars universe via the PT, Dooku defiantly stands out at my favorite. He had presence, which Maul sorely lacked. I would have liked him to have had more screen time in ROTS because In my eyes he's the Vader of the PT.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think many fans agree with you there, Yunners. I really thought that Dooku would be killed by Anakin late in the film, in a scene similar to the Emperor scenes in ROTJ. As it turned out, he was killed by Anakin in a scene of that ilk, but I was truly shocked to see it happen so early on. I remember that many of my pals on the non-spoiler forum predicted that, but I just thought they were nuts :p

I think it's cool, though, that none of these characters got as much screen time as Vader. He's a major player in the Saga, whereas they are not. They're his predecessors and he was meant to overshadow them all.
    At the same time, I also think it's really cool that TCW pushes them to the forefront and gives them a chance to spread their wings. You gotta love that show.

Scenes - they're of ilks
    /LM

Alexrd and Yunners like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    To me, Dooku and Maul are not secondary villains.

All three have their reason to exist. Maul is a cunning Sith warrior, Tyranus is a fallen Jedi turned Sith and Grievous is a cyborg. In the end, Vader shares characteristics with all of them, as they were partially meant to be "clues" to the fall of Anakin.

Sitara likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Grievous was not a coward as the bumbass Mace Windu said. He implemented the Art Of War to a point.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm watching the movie "Soldier" with Kurt Russell and I can't help think of the similarities between the film and how Maul probably ended up on Lotho Minor.

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Tarkin needs more appreciation, I must say. A good secondary villain in his own right.

Who is CC-01/425, anyway?

Yunners likes this.
  12. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Admittedly, I thought of doing a similar topic in the classic trilogy forum, then I slapped myself and thought I could've just done an entire Saga version. But Tarkin was the main villain of ANH. Vader would be the secondary. ;)

Consider the TVTropes ranking.

Tarkin would be the Big Bad, with Vader is his Dragon. Then, Vader becomes Palpatine's Dragon in ESB.

If I were to make a CT list, the secondary villains would be Vader, Boba, and Jabba.

Though, I guess Tarkin could be a secondary villain if Vader is a main character...So mayhaps Tarkin does have a place in the list after all.

Yunners likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    CC-01/425 was the clone advisor for Delta Squad in Republic Commando.

QuangoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.