main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The Seedy Side V. 2.0 (An Underworld Index/Discussion Thread - disc. crime lords)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SeedySider, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Thanks for putting my story on the index, Seedy, and FTR I'm working on the sequel The White Twi'lek

We still on with that challenge BTW?

And Jabba, I always saw him as a kinda godfather character. The fact that he's a huge slug with no feet and very small arms isn't by accidient, he has others to do his work for him. His death was directly inspire by the godfather, so I heard.

2. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    Right, when Luca Brasi gets it. (Spoiler text for 35-year-old movies ITT.)

It's not an unfair comparison you make, Katana. Lucas and Coppola have always been close, too. GL did some uncredited second-unit directing on the first Godfather, as well.

He's pretty much the go-to crime boss (because he's pretty much the only one who shows up in the movies, I know) in Star Wars. And this success goes to his giant slug head. Much like the Emperor in the same movie, his overconfidence is his downfall, and like the Emperor, his stuff gets blown up but good.

I don't get why he hangs around Tatooine, though. His reach extends a good ways (Ord Mantell and all that), so why live on a sandy rock? Surely Hutt space has nicer places. But they don't have Sarlaccs, the only thing that can out-eat him. Perhaps it's somewhere in his history, which I don't really know.

And if we don't have a lot of information about his history, maybe something needs to be done about that...

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Maybe he likes the climate. If he does, he would probably be the only one aside from the Tuskens.

4. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    But if he likes the climate, then it stands to reason that other Hutts might also, and we never see any others. He appears to be the only Hutt on Tatooine.

Coming from the standpoint of someone who also knows nothing about the guy's history, I suggest that there are basically two solid theories for him choosing Tatooine as Base of Operations:

1) Security. Tatooine is incredibly baren. It's hard to miss someone trying to sneak into your place, seeing as anything alive could easily be spotted hundreds of miles beforehand. Hence the need for such a complex sting on Han's behalf in ROTJ. And Jabba's got plenty of reason to need security. I can't say for sure, though, if he'd really be clever enough to take this initiative on his own. Which leads me to..

2) Jabba = Barron Harkonen. ie ? the Jabba clan inherited Tatooine as Home Base, possibly against their wishes, and are now stuck with it, meaning the whole thing is out of the J-meister's control. The Hutt people say it's his place, so he's gotta live there.

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    1Yodimus_Prime: But if he likes the climate, then it stands to reason that other Hutts might also, and we never see any others.

Er, Gardulla appears in TPM. Also, the Wookieepedia article on Tatooine mentions that various Hutt clans vied for control of the planet at one time. The article also says that the Hutts adopted Tatooine after the Yuuzhan Vong wiped out all life on Nal Hutta and Nar Shaddaa.

The Hutts' fascination with the planet is probably one of hyperspace geography. Tatooine is located at the crossroads of the Corellian Run and the Sisar Run, both of which are major hyperspace routes. Also, during the Yuuzhan Vong War Tatooine became a center of commerce because the YV left it alone.

The Hutt Gambit (the second book in the Han Solo Trilogy) has some interesting Jabba characterization, BTW.

- lazy

PS - Jabba isn't exactly a Hutt template. I mean, he was attracted to bipeds, for goodness sake.

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I had the impression that he liked to be king of a dungheap, and thats why he stayed on Tatooine. A dungheap is a dungheap, but if you're king...[face_whistling]

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Whoa! This thread has been dead for gaes.

I'll update it with a completed story and a question:

Title: Title:[/b] The White Twi?lek, sequel to The Seventh Star]The White Twi?lek, sequel to The Seventh Star
    Author: Katana_Geldar
    Genre: Hard-boiled detective fiction
    Characters: OCs, Jali Dawler, Captain Vantel, Nuada Vekstar, Tira Sengel and some new ones.
    Timeframe: c. 43 BBY (about six months after The Seventh Star finishes)
    Summary: Jali?s back, and now he?s a Private Eye. He?s set up his own private investigation business, but somehow trouble?and murder?always manage to find him.
    Disclaimer: Star Wars is not mine; I just like to write with it.

My question is about organised crime, which we were sorta discussing earlier but I'd like to broaden it. I know Black Sun is pretty much the big boy in SW concerning organised crime with the Hutts (Jabba, Jilac and Zorba) coming a close second.

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Erm, sorry, i got distracted by moving, convention and clones, pretty much in that order. Am still distracted by clones, but there's just SO MANY of them.[face_hypnotized]

Anyway, what is the question? I cannot find the question mark and seem to be exceptionally bad at deducting the question from the context.:oops:

Black Sun sees to be difficult, for a secret orgnaisation, pretty many people know about it. And depending on the source that is normal or not.

9. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    I don't know about the inception of Black Sun, but since they became a major power player, their dminance seems to flip-flop with the Hutts. It seems their power flows with the climtate of the galaxy. During some periods the Hutts are the major crime organization, while others it's Black Sun.

It may also depend on what part of the galaxy you find yourself in. I think Jabba and the Hutts liked Tatooine because it was never part of the Republic, and pretty much stayed out of the Imperial eye until ANH. No law meant they made the rules with less need for payoffs and bribery.

10. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Just wanted to pop in and say I'm so sorry this hasn't been updated in ages. [face_blush]:oops: I'll be back with actual contributions, once I finish the self-flagellation...

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I really hope you're not hurt from all that self-flagulation face ;)

We need a new topic, how about locations? What sort of places can we have underowld activities.

I've had bars, clubs, brothels, strip clubs, abandoned industrial buildings, restaurants and bad hotels in mine, any others we can have on that list? It would be intersting to talk about planets as well. I know some planets (Coruscant, Nar Shaddaa, Ord Mantell) it's easy to have a seedy element but with others (Naboo, Alderaan) it's a little harder. I still remember Han Solo being told off for trying to peddle spice on Alderaan in Hutt Gambit

12. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    I think it's exactly those 'pretty', 'peaceful' places like Alderaan that would make for a rich local to set a seedy scene. Nobody expects it, and it would be such a fun challenge. :D

Hmmm...challenge... [face_thinking]

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    When Han tried to peddle spice there, he was in a seedy part of Aldera

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    *Upping this thread to congratulate Face on his win with galaxy noir*

15. SeedySider

SeedySider Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    These fics were missing from the index, and have now been added. It's a double dip of detective fiction!

The White Twi?lek

Author: Katana_Geldar
    Timeline: c. 43 BBY
    Genre: Hard-boiled detective fiction
    Main characters: OCs, Jali Dawler, Captain Vantel, Nuada Vekstar, Tira Sengel and some new ones
    Summary: Jali?s back, and now he?s a Private Eye. He?s set up his own private investigation business, but somehow trouble?and murder?always manage to find him.

Galaxy of Suspects

Author: The_Face
    Timeline: 1 year pre-ANH
    Genre: Mystery, action, humor, drama
    Main characters: OCs ? mainly Jav Yonx & Remy Diabet
    Summary: D.I. Jav Yonx follows a cop-killer to Corellia, where he meets his opposite in CorSec detective Remy Diabet. Both soon find themselves deep in the Corellian underworld as they search for answers.

16. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    As we moved from 2005 to 2006, so too moved the fanfic boards? home for all things shady, gray, and criminal ? from the original thread created by Fate to this sock-driven one which would have me at the captain?s wheel.

Almost three years later, the time has come for another change. But this time we won?t need a new thread, thanks to the power of socks.

The Seedy Side is a great thread. It and the OC revolucion have been my homes in the fanfic community for pretty much as long as I?ve been in the fanfic community. I love you mugs. I?ve given myself second chance after second chance to find the time for managing this great thread the way it deserves. So now it needs someone who actually will. With my schedule, that just isn't me.

If you?re interested in hosting discussions/managing the index/running challenges, you can PM me. I?d be more than glad to give you excessively detailed instructions on everything you need to do. I guess I'm also open to co-hosting suggestions. And if nobody has time, then we can say it?s a captainless format and go on with a little more underworld anarchy and a little less guilt on my part. :p

Captain Face out.

17. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I thought seedyside was back, but we'll have to make it work.

I'd like to step up to the challenge, but have a lot going on with fanon wiki.

18. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    Is it ironic that I updated the index while I was writing that up? :p

19. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    seems as though there hasn't been too much action here, recently. Is this index still active?

20. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    I couldn't bear the Official burden of host any more, so I'm no longer actively seeking things out for indexing/discussing/challenging, but if anybody has a great idea, they are more than welcome to toss in their two credits. At any rate, I'd like us to keep using this as a place to talk about seedy fic-writing, and bang gavels at each other.

21. Vivid_Scripts

Jan 21, 2004
    any advice for writing Sabacc scenes? I'm in the process of writing this Han Solo/Tru Veld piece that involves Sabacc and I am not a real card player so certain aspects of story construction are rather difficult at the moment.

22. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    Well, you don't need to know how a card game works to write a scene about it. In fact, I'm going to venture a guess that you're not writing a scene about a card game at all, but rather a scene about betting. Yes?

Winning a game that has money on the line is all about two things: Bluffing, and figuring out when other people are bluffing. When someone lies, they ? sometimes ? will make a subtle, unconscious gesture at the same moment. In gambling (poker, mainly) this accidental movement is called a 'Tell'. The more tense and emotionally/economically invested a person is in the game, the more likely they are to have a 'tell' when they lie. If another player can figure out his/her opponent's 'Tell', then they know when that person is bluffing. The first person to figure out the other's Tell will have the advantage. They'll know when to fold and when to keep going.

You could take this further ? if a character knows the other player is looking for a bluff, they could give off a false Tell when they have a good hand, making the player think they're bluffing when they aren't. Or, conversely, if your character figures out his opponent's Tell early on, he could string the guy along, making him think your character is clueless, and then, when the guy overconfidently bets too much, he strikes.

These are both really basic cardshark tactics. There are a lot of really cool places you can go from there - and better yet, you never need to know the details of the card game itself. :D

23. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Also how good a character is at the "sabacc mask"

24. Vivid_Scripts

Jan 21, 2004
  25. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    I am needing help in developing a character, who just so happens to be a crime boss. Since you guys and gals are the master of all things seedy, I thought maybe you knew some good web sites or something that I could check out. I can't really go out and grab a copy of the Godfather or The Last Don today so I was just needing some help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.