PT The Senate and planet's ruling freedom...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Dec 2, 2012.

Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. darthbarracuda Jedi Knight

star 3
    I never understood this:

The Senate seems to be the big government of the Republic, but yet there's a monarchy on Naboo and Mandalore, an aristocratic gov on Serenno, and Geonosis is ruled by hives and stuff!

What is the relationship between the Senate on Coruscant and the planetary governments?

Thanks
  2. Sistros Jedi Master

star 6
    it's called a constitutional monachy

they are heads of state that can advise the government

Also, "we don't recognise the Republic here senator" count Dooku (regards to Geonosis)
    Last edited by Sistros, Dec 2, 2012
  3. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of CT, SW Saga and Lucasfilm Ltd

Manager
    star 8
    I always assumed it was similar to the relationship between the governors of individual US states and the US Congress and President. No, there aren't any monarchies in US states but they do have their own laws and governing bodies while being subject to federal law.
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. -NaTaLie- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Republic government seems more like the UN. All talk, little action. Local governments seem to ignore it half of the time, especially since it lacks it's own big army. The ETs also have their own representatives ;)
    Last edited by -NaTaLie-, Dec 2, 2012
  5. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 7
    The planets are sovereign. They hold jurisdiction over the homeworld. As such, they can have queens, princesses, etc however much they want. The interstellar lanes between member worlds are where the republic comes into play.
  6. -NaTaLie- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Palpatine wanted to kill sovereignty and bring everything under his total control. Hence the Rebellion.
  7. Count Yubnub Jedi Knight

star 4
    I suppose in a similar way that Menelaos was king over all Greek kings in the Iliad. But contemporary local government vs federal government might be a more apt comparison.
  8. Remember Adwa Jedi Youngling

At leasr in wartime it has to be less like the UN. People yell: For the Republic!!!! I cannot imagine that happening in an IRL war for the UN.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat