main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Senate is splitting off

Discussion in 'Communications' started by SuperWatto, Jul 24, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's been said that there are some Senate regulars who are silent on the issue and who would welcome the Senate's independence -- but given that they're supposedly silent, there's no way to determine whether that's true or not.

Ultimately, the two Senate mods (and the new incoming Senate mod) have all decided that there is value in having a separate set of rules for the Senate, and this is best achieved by having the Senate separated. As we've seen recently, there's been a lot of tension between Senate threads and the requisite level of discussion in them. This change will allow Community users to feel free to inject a little personality into their discussions, and it will allow Senate users to do whatever it is that they've been unable to do since the merge.

Since all the Senate mods were firmly decided on the path, MS felt it best to defer to their judgment -- they are the ones who have the most experience and knowledge about the Senate. The extent to which their views are incompatible with the desires of the Senate userbase is not something we examined because the Senate mods are the ones with that sort of knowledge.

Now on a personal note, I have to say that I am gratified by the reaction that the original merge decision has gotten here, and I agree with the sentiment that merging made me far more likely to read threads I otherwise wouldn't have. Nevertheless, this boon was considered secondary to the loss of the Senate-style posting which so urgently needed preservation.