main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Senate is splitting off

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't get the whole reddit thing. It just seems like a vastly inferior form of messageboard.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The board system really, really sucks and belongs in 1995, yes. It rivals 4chan-style imageboards in terms of awfulness. But I just meant the general tone and the slightly-higher-than-average-intelligence of places like /r/asoiaf. Especially /r/asoiaf.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the thing reddit has going for it is that it has literally thousands of people whereas we have like thirty. soon to be 26 when we split off the senate.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Why don't we have a music subforum again? Or at least subcategory?

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Despite the popular refrains that this place is dead, we're still moving along here with a rather good, niiiiiiice community don't you think? Sure it would be welcome if we had more folks posting, and perhaps the upcoming sequel trilogy with help the forums in that regard (even if we don't reach exact previous traffic levels), but I think there's still enough going on to make these forums a good place to hangout. People need to be more positive.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about it but ugh the interface is just primitive. A board style lay out is so much more preferable. I just can't get over the way posts and comments are done there.

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    cutting edge board technology

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I suspect this is all just a marketing ploy anyway to get people posting in a Senate thread. I predict that on 1 August there will in fact be no split, but rather there will be a further update informing everyone that the Senate is actually being abolished. After that furore dies down (which will again be conveniently located with a Senate thread), there will be a further update announcing the introduction of outrageous incentives to be granted to users who participate in Senate threads. When that fails, there will be a further update announcing that participating in a Senate thread at least once a month will become a mandatory requirement to maintain user registration on the site. This is just the beginning, you will see.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The incentives should involve wine. That is all.

Souderwan likes this.
  10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Senate Mods please take note ^^^^^^

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

*Whiskey/bourbon, rum & vodka please.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perhaps we need to look at this from their certain point of view:

Translation: There is no civility, only politics. The Senate is not what it once was. It is full of greedy, squabbling delegates. There is no interest in the common good.

Translation: Now they will elect a new mod, a military mod, one that will not let our tragedy continue.

Translation: So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause.

Rogue's Nightmare/Fantasy:

[​IMG]

Conclusion?

[​IMG]

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    3/10

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    a for effort and for the inevitable image of you laughing at your own jokes while you constructed your crude photoshops.

JackG, Souderwan, CT-867-5309 and 5 others like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Boredom is the mother of invention... it was pretty fun to make :p

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So a failure to adapt a mindset appropriate for the forums today?

KnightWriter likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    A for suggesting jabbawocky be senate mod. how do we get that process going?

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Tunick do you ever aspire to be middle class?

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'll say something about my personal reasons for supporting this move.
    Ever since the merge, there has been a small but vocal minority of JCC regulars who have made it clear that they didn't want to have to deal with Senate rules or tags. In fact, this was apparantly so important to them that they saw a need to derail Senate threads and poke fun at Senate mods. This was already going on before I joined as a mod. So we made the rules stand out a little more, but that thread also got derailed and ended up serving as another platform for people to make fun of the Senate and its mods. It's been an uphill battle to try to fit in while keeping a distinct identity. Lowie couldn't take it anymore. Me, I realized there were two options: either the Senate stays and does away with the different rules, or it goes. But if it stays, and we do away with the rules, there isn't really a need for Senate tags at all anymore. The threads could just be labeled JCC. And if we do that, we may as well create another area that allows for discussion without it being poked fun at. See how that works. And that's essentially what we're doing.

This way, we will not be in each other's way anymore. I would have preferred for the Senate to stay but it's worn out its welcome. So if anybody has any issues with the decision, I suggest you look further than me and MS and ask yourself how friendly a community Community is in its current inception.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    thanks for sharing that superwatto, but i kind of don't see how it works. i mean i guess i don't see how one thing logically follows from the other. it's kind of like saying, "since we decided on pizza for dinner, we may as well also have cheeseburgers." if getting rid of the senate tags proved to be an effective measure in these times of declining board activity, then why would we also want to create a separate forum? i'm not saying that is the solution, but it seemed to be the way things were going and without much resistance. perhaps it could at least be tried out and then reevaluated after a month or so to see whether a senate forum is really necessary.

as for friendliness, yeah we have some unfriendly people. is the senate going to ban them or just suggest that they disguise their unfriendliness in several snarky paragraphs?

22. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know about you, but I think that the recent Senate threads have been exceptionally well-behaved, with only a couple of notable derails. It sounds like you are holding on to something that nobody else is. The Senate tag is useful in the same way an Amph tag is. It highlights the topic and gives a notion of tenor. At any rate, if those are really the reasons that you are moving the Senate back out, and especially if one of the big reasons is the old canard that "the JCC is a bunch of meanies", it sounds kind of a like a "taking our toys and going home" move. And to be honest, it makes me inclined to make a note of all the currently active Senate tagged threads and opening JCC tagged versions of those threads as soon as you move them.

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    DLB, quit the hyperbole. Ask our retiring mod if his decision to leave after 5 years has anything to do with the atmosphere in the Senate the past year. Me, I don't want to have to fight for it any longer. And tom, I do see this as a trial; I don't think a month is enough, but if it so happens that the Senate eventually does die off I'll advocate doing away with it.

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I was going to suggest the same thing. there's no forum without users participating in said forum. just recreate the same threads here. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

There is no hyperbole in my post. I do think the idea that the JCC is so rough that the Senate needs to be moved is ridiculous. I do feel inclined to open JCC equivalent threads, because I do like posting in the current Senate-tagged topics, and I do not feel like going into a forum that is being redivided because the JCC is mean, or we "make fun" of the Senate mods. If that is the real reason it strikes me as petty. Maybe a better solution is to revise what the Senate is, or what the Senate means. There doesn't need to be a Senate. It seems like you are trying to force something to be a certain way because you happen to be the mods, and because you happen to cherish a very particular set of rules that always made the Senate seem a little precious and self-serious. I also happen to feel that it's existence as a separate forum is nothing more than the slightly insulting suggestion that posters on the JCC are incapable of holding a serious discussion.

I'll say that I enjoyed the Senate more as a tag than I ever did when it was it's own sub-forum, and maybe what really needs to change here is the attitude towards modding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.