main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Senate Scenes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth-Seldon, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I know these are tough days in the JC.
    But to get this site going we really need to start new threads. I'm just trying to help out.

Now I am hoping for some great political debates in this film. If or when Palpatine announces he is Emperor to the Senate there will be a huge argument. I'm hoping to see a real good Senate scene in this movie. Hopefully Bail Organa is real out spoken. We have not really seen what this guy is politically capable of. I would love to see thousands of aliens in a debate. I think if done well this could be a great scene.

Maybe Palpatine does not declare himself Emperor (I think he will). But there could still be a great Senate Debate!

-Seldon

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Actually, for his rise to power to be truly complete, I think that the Senate will have to name him Emperor as a reward for victory in the Clone Wars. Taking it himself might be too controversial.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I dunno, didn't Napoleon crown himself? He refused to let the Archbishop or Cardinal or whomever crown him, and grabbed the crown and placed it on his own head.

A better example might be Julius Caesar - does anyone know if he declared himself Emperor? The Senate gave him much of his power, but I always thought he named himself Imperator.

I wonder if we're going to see the birth of the Rebellion with people like Bail Organa, Padme, etc.

If Palpatine notices their stance, he might try to do away with them.

Heh - come to think of it, that would be another cool way for Mace to go out - saving the Senators that will become the Rebellion 20 years later. :D

4. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Garth: It was Napoleon who crowned himself instead of letting the Pope do it. His reasoning was that who crowns him has the right to take that crown away. And so it was he who crowned himself.

I do not think the Senate would ever make Palpatine Emperor. It will be that Palps makes himself Emperor. Sure they will give him emergency powers when there is war, but making him Emperor is something a democratic body would not do so easily.

-Seldon

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Think of the Hitler analogy.

I think the senators will, out of fear and subterfuge, push for Palps to be given more powers -- legally.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    How can he possibly receive any more political power?

I'm thinking we'll see some scenes in the Senate after the Clone Wars have ended.

Bail or someone: "The crisis is over, Chancellor Palpatine. We appreciate your unbelievable hard work and dedication to the Republic. At last the Senate can resume its normal operation."

Palps: "Oh, I'm afraid the crisis is not over, Members of the Senate."

Then Palps talks about the untrustworthy Jedi, possibly the members of the embryonic Rebel Alliance, et cetera.

Something like that.

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There are major differences between Hitler and Palps. That is why the SW senate will not give Palps all the power.

Differences?
    Germany- The German Pride was injured in WWI, this led to them electing a nut like Hitler. Hitler promised the people revenge on Europe for what they did. Europe had treated Germany badly, Hitler promised the people glory and honor.

SW- There is a civil war and they give Palps emergency powers to end the crisis. When it is over they are going to want the senate to regain its power.

While Hitler and Palps have things similar, they also have major differences.

And don't forget that in ANH it seems like a lot of Senators are rebels against Palps. Why is this? They hate him!

-Seldon

8. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Hey Darth Seldon...you're forgetting one very key message from TPM that links Palpatine very nicely with Hitler.

I agree that the driving force behind Hitler (besides bigotry, insanity, and lust for power) was revenge. So it is also with Palpatine...revenge against the Jedi. He and Maul discuss this on the balcony scene.

Perhaps there will be a triumphant scene in the Senate after the end of the war. Anakin will be crowned conquering Hero of the Republic for leading the final victory against the Separatists. And Palpatine will be crowned Emperor for Life, as a reward for leading the Republic through the darkest days it has ever known (until now...)

9. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    I was always under the impression that Palpy just declaired himself emperor... maybe from what i have read in the EU or in various threads. But with all the backing he has he could do it. Everyone seems to be in approval of the Chanslor... and Sidious could instruct the guilds and unions to side with Palpy if push came to shove. Remember he is controlling BOTH sides of a galactic war, he can pretty do what ever he wants.

I would like to see a scene when Palpatine declairs himself emperor. And he asks anyone who feels this wrong to step forewars, but everyone seems intimidated. Padme wont step foreward because she knows him, she can just talk to him privatly. She will be against it, but will talk to him alone... If anyone says something he will ASSURE them that the senate will still stay intact. We know it survives until ANH so he can promise it all he wants, but we know it will be very limited in power.

--Ice Jedi--
    ...i'm not getting tired of you...

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, in the prologue of the original Star Wars novelization from 1976, it says the "ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic". It then goes on to say that once in office, he declares himself Emperor. But then it says that he is isolated but the Imperial governors and bureaucrats. So take from that what you will.

Also, Hitler had stormtroopers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.