main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Senate Will return after Episode 6.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Redfivee, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, wouldn't Leia becoming a Jedi automatically render her non-electable?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Essential Atlas, it mentions that nearly 1 billion of the star systems of the galaxy "have somebody living in them".

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It seems logical that Leia would be either a Senator or Supreme Chancellor given her role in the OT. But wouldn't it be be outrageous of the first time we saw Leia she was sitting on the New Jedi Order council???

The thing that makes me nervous is that Carrie Fisher -- today -- would be much more suited to a political role than an action role. I can't picture her at all weilding a lightsaber.

4. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    It'll be fine--they'll just CG her head over a stuntperson's, just like they did with Christopher Lee..

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    See that's the thing. I don't think it would be outrageous. I think we've got early EU burned into our brain. Leia wasn't a Senator in exile in ESB or ROTJ; she was a Rebel officer, with rank, authority, and combat experience. And ROTJ irrevocably altered the trajectory of Leia's character. She is firmly established as a Jedi-to-be, and the subject of Luke "passing on what (he) learned." There's absolutely no reason why the call to political office or Han knocking her up would change that. There absolutely no reason to think that Leia's only real value to the Jedi Order is her womb.

And Jedi, as we now know, provide a mostly diplomatic, ambassadorial role. They belong to no system, because they represent every system. They're leaders, guardians, and spiritual advisers. I can't think of a better role for Leia.

I'll never understand why Leia taking the role of Amidala or Palpatine is so accepted, when she could just as easily take the role of Mace Windu or Yoda. Any knucklehead can be an elected representative (insert Representative Binks image here). Not everyone can be a Skywalker.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or better yet, they CG Christopher Lee's head over her body and dub his voice with Carrie's.

LawJedi and Count Yubnub like this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I hope we don't have any mumbo jumbo political stuff.....I really don't think we need a senate ...a Jedi council yes a senate no .

8. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank you! ^:)^

Its nice to see not everyone here feels Leia needs to be a Padme clone, especially when there was absolutely NOTHING in ROTJ to ever suggest she would go back to a political role.

9. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Well I meant outrageous as in awesome. But your post is awesome and well argued. I sincererly believe however that most fans will go in thinking she's in the piltical world. But we very well could see her training her own children as Padawans.

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    What strikes me as odd is that the people who want Leia in a political role seem to be the same people who don't want politics in the ST. If we're trying to marginalize politics, why are we assuming that Leia is going to be our proxy to galactic politics? Are are we suddenly pretending that Leia isn't important?

11. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I have no problem with Leia as the chancellor and her having a cameo on Coruscant in the new trilogy.I just think if we start getting into politics its gonna turn people off especially if the new trilogy starts off that way.My biggest EP1 problem is that it doesn't start off with a bang but with "The taxation of trade routes is in dispute" and we have 2 Jedi sitting down and having coffee.

12. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    That was necessary to the plot. Episode I was to illustrate the "Once upon a time there was a peaceful kingdom" idea. Then we gradually see how that peace was eroded and corrupted by evil. Again, people just don't understand the PT.

13. Redfivee

Sep 28, 2008
    I get the prequel trilogy/what your saying Echo and I liked seeing the senate in the prequels but EP1 didnt need to start off so damn boring.

14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I didn't think it was that damned boring though. The Jedi arrived and within a few moments were fighting for their lives. No offense but I think you're illustrating the "short attention span" crowd.

FRAGWAGON, JackG and El_Machete12 like this.
  15. Redfivee

Sep 28, 2008
    Well that's where we disagree.I find the first 30 mins of EP1 pretty boring and a disappointment.I like the movie but it feels more like a prologue to SW in many ways and as for the "short attention span" comment I'll just say i'm crossing my fingers they do a Ben Kenobi in the desert movie with Ewan Mcgregor meditation and learning how to commune with Qui-Gon to be a force ghost,I could easily sit through that for 2 hours.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm pretty sure this is just factually incorrect. They don't get to the Senate on Coruscant until well after 30 minutes into the movie. They go to Naboo and Tatooine first.

I thought (and so did the audience I was with) the scenes on the Trade Federation battleship were awesome, perhaps the most exciting moments of the entire PT for me. It was just like the infiltration/escape scenes on the Death Star from ANH, they even used some of the main title theme. Then you go down to Naboo (yeah Jar Jar sucked), go through the planet core and cut through some battle droids to escape, then you go to Tatooine (which does drag a bit) and get podracing and a taste of Darth Maul.

I think the Senate scenes on Coruscant completely killed the excitement they had going at that point and it didn't really pick up again until the final battle gets going.

El_Machete12 and Echo-07 like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The title of this thread reminds me of those "James Bond will return" captions at the end of each 007 movie. I'm honestly now expecting for the 3D ROTS release to have "The Senate will return" in the ending credits.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    And I thought the Senate scenes were some of the best stuff. To each their own, I suppose.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I loved the Senate scenes as well. I think my favorite scene is Palpatine whispering into young Padme's ear manipulating her to do every thing he wants her to do. The Coruscant scenes give us a respite from the action before we return to Naboo where the action intensifies. For me Palpatine is what makes these scenes so interesting and of course seeing the inner workings of the Jedi is awesome as well.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    A senate isn't a required political body in a dictatorship.
    Palpatine was the emporer, he made all the decisions, there is nothing for the senate to do in a situation like that.

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I liked the senate scenes but I think it may be avoided because it has been bashed quite a bit.

22. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    All the more reason to cram a Senate scene down the audience's throat. Actually, I wouldn't mind some socio-political stuff because it sets the stage. Besides, the audience *does* need to kind of see the New Republic/Whatever functioning. The opening crawl may say something like "with the reformation of the Galactic Senate in question," and that will set the tone. Then, a few little scenes of Leia or whoever giving out orders, planning strategy, discussing offscreen plot developments, or that kind of thing will do nicely.

23. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I wasn't that thrilled with the senate scenes, they were a necessary evil in the PT, but I would prefer that stuff be left in the background as it was in the OT. To be honest the PT never seemed to know whether it wanted to be a political drama or an action film.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    God, I hope they don't shy away from anything because some fans complain about having to sit through a few scenes without big, shiny explosions. I'll never quite grasp why some people can't enjoy a few quiet scenes of dialogue especially when they feature such a wonderful actor like Ian McDiarmid. Are their attention spans that short (not talking about anyone in general other than maybe RLM!)

25. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    As a kid, I hated them, but I guess that's natural. Once I actually paid attention, I really enjoyed them.:p

FRAGWAGON and Echo-07 like this.