main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary The Senator Theatre

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Wolfdog, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2004
    Hey, is anyone planning on seeing Episode III at The Senator? I live out in No. VA, but I'm from Baltimore, so of course I have to see SW there. :)

Anyway, I've started a listserv for that. If anyone's interested in our group for this, feel free to PM me your e-mail address. Should be a lot of fun. See you then!

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm planning on seeing Ep3 at the Crown Theatre in Annapolis Mall. I saw Ep2 there because they have digital projection.

3. PaSco

PaSco Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    I think this would be a good time/place for passing on the word about the MDFF. Kinda like what saerah is doing out in western MD. Perhaps the members in the Baltimore area could get together there for the first meeting.

4. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah the digital EP II rocked at the Crown! I sure wish I could see EP III there. I may not get to see it on opening night but I might just have to fly over to Baltimore one weekend to hit up the Crown for a digital showing for sure!

You guys take some pics and post em here on the opening night. Okay??

Sure do miss all you guys and gals.

DRK_HLMT

5. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Hey, the Crown sounds good.

But I am originally from Baltimore, I mean really Baltimore. Although I have lived all over Southern Maryland. Right now I still live in Central MD though, so I am more likely to go to the Senator.

However, I plan to go see SW3 at the Senator. I have always gone there for premeres and such.

And Wolfdog, if you want to get a buch of people together to go, I would gladly help.

~RD~

6. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Hmm, I might be able to get up to the Crown. Is that the one in the mall that's called like Westfield or something like that?

I'd defintely be interested in seeing if I could get up there.

~Jenn

7. jpfisher

jpfisher Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    Not on opening night, but I definitely want to get down there and see it -- it's a beautiful movie house... I saw Ep. I there a few times and they had a special print. I was in upstate NY for Ep II so I didn't get a chance to see it at the Senator.

Having seen Ep II in DLP I have no desire to see Episode III (or any other movie for that matter) projected digitally until the resolution is about a thousand times higher. I don't want to pay $10 to see jaggy edges and pixels in a movie.

-- Jim

8. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Yes, CodeName_Targeter, that's it. I saw Ep2 there and then I had to see Finding Nemo and The Incredibles there. It looks amazing.

jpfisher, I never had that problem with the movies I saw digitally. They all looked great.

9. jpfisher

jpfisher Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    No offense intended, but maybe you weren't looking close enough?

Even watching a 35mm print there were times that the lower resolution of the digital process used to shoot Ep 2 -- I wrote an article about it around the release... let me see if I can find it.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/guest_editorials/jimfisher_backtobasics.htm

The relevant commentary on the video quality is on the sidebar and was based on my initial viewing of the movie via a 35mm print on a THX certified screen.

I didn't write about my experiences seeing it digitally projected at that time (I believe it was a Texas Instruments projector), but I'd say even today that technology is clearly lacking in comparison to 35mm projection. If you go into a theatre that runs the pre-movie/trailer advertisements digitally (Regal does this with "The 20") you can clearly see pixelation in comparision to the actual film.

-- Jim

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'll be seeing it at the Annapolis Mall as well...as I live in Annapolis, it's rather close :p

11. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Does it really matter where you see Ep3 as long as you see it?

I mean, I know that it is important to see it in a good theatre with good viewing qualities, but reaaly it's all about seeing the movie asap?

Right? Well that is just my opinion. I am going to see the movie at The Senator.

~Reva

12. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey,

I just wanted to let you know, I've changed my screen name (I swear, someone else gave me the name lol). Anyway, for those of you interested, this would be the name to PM. Thanks!

(formerly Wolfdog)

13. Dark_Jaina

Dark_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    I am going to see C3 at the Senator, hopefully. And yes, viewing quality is important. You can't watch Star Wars in a terrible viewing situation.

Dark_Jaina

14. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    I will see it at the Senator opening night, Seeing EP II there was awesome. The fellow fans made both the "Ticket" and "Movie" lines a blast. I have my tent and sleeping bag at the ready. And for those who were in the AOC ticket line, that bar on the corner is no more, thus making the line experience that much better.

Tak

15. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Feb 13, 2005
    You dn't mean Swallow at the Hallow do you? That's been a staple for colleg kids in the area for at least 15 years. lol

And besides, you can't tell me you won't miss the drunken frat boys staggering around telling us to get a life (I won't even go into the irony of that). I don't know where you were in line for tix, but aparently, some guy convinced his girlfriend to go up to us and ask if she could get into the front of the line (which was already down the black at this point). So, I think a lot of us are looking forward to seeing if any of the passers-by will come up with some more creative insults (we're not holding our breaths, though).

16. erinfrances

erinfrances Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2005
    I moved to Baltimore to go to school a year and half now and I've still never made it to the Senator -- mainly because I get around via bicycle and it's a fair hike away.

Anyway, I was wondering how it's gonna work for the EPIII release. I'm assuming there is a midnight screening -- how early do people seem to line up there?

17. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Feb 13, 2005
    Generally speaking, people get in line for tickets a day or two ahead (assuming that, like last time, they sell them a week or two before), and then they tend to disperse. The longest I've seen a line start for seating is like 36 hours. It's a pretty laid back crowd. I haven't seen anyone get into a tizzy if there's one person holding a space for several dozen people (at least not when it's like a day away. We've never had the "50 people show up at the last minute" deal, yet). We typically work in shifts so no one person has to be there all the time, but people don't typically want to leave becasue it's too much fun. I think my group's going to try to turn it into something more like a tailgating event. Right now, my plan is to start the seating line at noon on the 17th, but things are pretty fluid, so we'll see how it all pans out.

18. PaSco

PaSco Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    There are rumors that the Fighting 501st members will be in attendence. Nothing solid yet. I'll see if I can find out anything.

19. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    Opening night, no, because of scheduling conflicts.

First week...that's like asking if a hooker takes cash...of COURSE I'll be seeing it at the Senator! :p

20. MDVader

MDVader Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    Yes indeed, Old Line Garrison will be there. I want to get there early enough to hang out a little more than last go-round at ep2...so Vader will see you all early, I got a sweet ride dropping me off. ;)

~Jeff
    Darth Vader Old Line Garrison

21. Kyps_Trickster

Kyps_Trickster Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    I am simply going to see C3 at Muvico in Arundel Mills.

22. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    The Swallow at the Hallow is still there :) I was talking about the "Gaters" bar that was on the corner of York and Belvader.
    I am so siked' I have been checking the Senator web site daily. With this and the "Revelations" opening I will be at the Senator alot in april.

Tak

23. C_3PO

C_3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    Wait do you mean the actual bar on the corner or the 'makeshift' one from the AOTC line? Cuz I thought that it made the wait MUCH more fun! So who here knows when tix will go on sale at the Senator? I will be there in line as always with my guitar and djembe in hand! anyone know if there will be another drum circle? Serious fun you guys, CYA there! PM me if anyone wants to meet up there or has ANY info on the line for tix as well as the line for the movie.

24. C_3PO

C_3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh yeah, and does anybody know where the pics from the drum circle at the Senator are from the night that tix went on sale? When I showed up on opening night some dude was like "OH MY GOD! I SAW YOU ON THE INTERNET!" And I was like "whoa! not what I want someone to yell to me in the streets of Bmore" but anyway, apparently there are pics of me playing 2 djembes(drums) somewhere on this crazy internet thing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

25. Harth_Cabal

Harth_Cabal Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2004
    FYI folks.

Senator does not yet have RotS booked yet.

I received the following from the owner just yesterday:

=========================================
    Sent : Monday, April 4, 2005 2:06 PM
    Subject : Re: Star Wars or no?

As you may imagine, the information you are seeking is also something we also wish to know as soon as possible.

Currently the last Star Wars film in the series film is not available to the independently owned and operated Senator Theatre.

We expect to prevail as we have in past years in overcoming the industry obstacles and license the film for exhibition at The Senator Theatre.

As soon as that is definitively determined [one way or another] we will quickly make that information known, first to our e-mail listmembers and shortly thereafter to the general public as well. Please stay tuned in that regard, we are struggling to get this matter settled as soon as possible.

May the force be with us all.

Regards, Tom Kiefaber
    ========================

I've also used Crown's site to send an inquiry regarding DLP offering - no reply to that yet.

Indeed it may be too early, but my brother's overseas and needs the earliest 'heads-up' to make return arrangements.

Want to reminisce?
    I still have photos from Ep II lines @ Senator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.