main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary The Senator Theatre

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Wolfdog, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightThomas

KnightThomas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2004
    Eh, sadly, I have to catch Episode III in South Carolina for the premiere. I wish I could go, but my whole family is renting out a beach house for my cousin's graduation from med school. We should deffinately get some periodically timed seeings of Episode III though :D.

2. Harth_Cabal

Harth_Cabal Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2004
    Well, at least there haven't been a definite "No" from either Crown nor Senator (like there has with Grauman's).
    -------------------
    Customer Service response:
    Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have any information regarding Star Wars available at this time. Please continue to check our website as we will post the information there just as soon as it becomes available.

Sincerely,
    Crown Theatres
    -------------------

For those who wish to bookmark: http://www.crowntheatres.com/theatres/annapolis_mall.html

May the Force be with you.

3. PaSco

PaSco Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    Well, my sources in the Fighting 501st Legion: Vader's Fist, have told me that a Premier/Party is the weekend of the 28th at the Senator. It may be at that date due to the fact that the Senator is privatly owned and operated. I shall be in attendance. Info may be wrong, but it coming from the 501st is good enough for me.

4. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I can't imagine Crown not getting the movie since they have digital projection. We probably won't get any official statement from them until a few weeks before the release.

5. oysteinsevag

oysteinsevag Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    Not to interupt in being new at this and all but Marylanders can find

Digital Projection at Lowes Rio 18 in Gaithersburg.

And at the new AFI Silver in Silver Spring.

My father an avid SW fan himself is a member of NATO, National Association of Theater Owners, and was informed that EPIII would be in Digital Projection at these two theaters, in addition to the theater in Annapolis. I hope that some of these are a bit more convienent for those who want to see the film with a Digital Projection.~R

6. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Thank's for the news, oysteinsevag.

Also, I got this email today from the Senator listserve:
    April 14, 2005

Dear ?Star Wars? at The Senator Fans,

We are currently in the process of securing the rights to present the final film of the ?Star Wars? series, ?Episode III: Revenge of the Sith? at The Senator Theatre.

We are optimistic that The Senator will be one of the many theatres opening the film on its national release date of Wednesday, May 19th , but as an independent location in a mercurial industry, there is always an element of uncertainty until the deal is done.

As soon as we are able to make an official announcement regarding ?Episode III?, we plan to first inform the members of our e-mail list before we disseminate the information to the general public. If the film is licensed for exhibition at The Senator, we plan to offer a 12:01am show as we have in the past.

May the force be with us.

Regards,
    Tom Kiefaber

Just wanted to keep those planning to go to the Senator updated.

As TFN's reported, some theatres have already started selling tickets. Movietickets.com has started, but Fandango won't till some time around April 20th.

As that date draws closer, I'm going to start an Official Midnight Screening thread where we can organize the different screenings going on around the state.

With oysteinsevag's news, more of us will be able to see Ep3 digitally!

7. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    There is NO QUESTION that I will have to see it at the Senator. I saw the Special Editions there, and the first two prequels, so I'd really be jinxing it forever if I didn't see ROTS for the first time at the Senator. It's a little tougher now that I live farther away, but I know it will be worth the trip.

Unfortunately, I can't do opening day -- maybe not even opening week! -- but hopefully the crowds will still be lively during the second and third weeks.

8. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    I sense a disturbance in the Force...
    http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=17722

Towson Commons evidently has already signed for Ep III (As shown in the linked page, Moviefone is already selling midnight show tickets).
    This bodes ill for the Senator.
    As I recall, Kiefaber (Senator's owner/operator) had to fight the Commons in order to get both Eps. I & II due to something in the industry know as "Film Clearance" ( http://www.senator.com/senator2.cfm ).

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), if one theater signs a contract for a big ticket title, the others in close proximity are left out in the cold. :(

9. Sapno Krei

Feb 23, 1999
    Towson Commons evidently has already signed for Ep III (As shown in the linked page, Moviefone is already selling midnight show tickets).
    This bodes ill for the Senator.

No, that's not true. That's IMPOSSIBLE!

I would hate to see the movie at Towson Commons! Yeah, it was a nice theater once (I worked there and had a lot of fun for a couple of years), but it's more like a fast food joint than a venue for a major event film!

If this is true, a great tradition will be broken and a great many fans will be very disappointed.

Hopefully, The Senator website will be updated with concrete info sooner rather than later.

10. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future...
    Response from Tom Kiefaber on the Senator message board:

====================================
    04-17-2005 @ 1:31 PM
    Administrator

We are aware of the dates of the Star Wars event this time
    around and AMC Towson Commons and The Senator
    regularly play films together "day and date" so that does not
    in and of itself preclude our playing EP III along with Towson
    Commons.

Tom Kiefaber
    =====================================

11. obidaman99

obidaman99 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 12, 1999
    Hey folks. Just wanted to let you know that Mr. Kiefaber has gone on the offensive over at the Senator site. Looks like he's gaining confidence and telling the naysayers to take a hike. I sure hope this happens.

http://www.senator.com/mb/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=13&Topic=277

12. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    He has also added a link to their homepage:
    "Click here for "Star Wars" Updates!"

Right now, it simply states they are pursuing the rights and that they remain confident.

I also reiterates that the 1st people to be informed of a final yes/no will be those on their "E-Mailing List". So, if you are hoping for a 12:01 Senator show & haven't already signed up, do so. It's on their homepage, on the right side.

13. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    Finally, the Star Wars Updates message has been updated (to 4/28).

However, don't get excited.
    The news/content itself hasn't changed. :(

Beginning to wonder if perhaps this isn't a PR move. You know, not wanting to announce until they're ready to have The Line begin.

This would have benefits for the theater:
    1) Maximize any possible 'news reporting' impact/publicity for the theater (have people lined up too early & the story gets old in a hurry for most folks).

2) Less days of us 'nerd vagrants' camping out & therefore
    3) Fewer days needed to rent the port-a-potty. ;)
    Believe me, thanks is due to the Senator management for the donation of that amenity during past line-ups. :D

The delay in the announcement however, puts a HUGE handicap on anyone who has any real distance to travel
    i.e. those currently out of state or even half the world away - Hi Sirrah. ;)

14. Blade_of_Corellia

Blade_of_Corellia Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
    Does anybody else know Mr.Kiefaber?

15. C_3PO

C_3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    I met him at the drum circle while waiting for tix to AOTC, pretty nice guy. Dont know him personally tho.

16. C_3PO

C_3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    Wait, did that party take place at the Senator this weekend? What was it like?

17. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    From Kiefaber's recent post on the Senator board (May 2), I'm sensing that a positive announcement is forthcoming...

"Yes it is getting down to it so "steady Dak", I predict this story will soon have a happy ending. Please stay tuned and be sure to be a recipient listed on our Senator/Rotunda e-mail list to be kept informed from here on out.

Regards, Tom Kiefaber"

As my alter ego stated:
    Personally, I'm waiting for,
    "The shield will be down in moments... You may start your landing."

18. Sapno Krei

Feb 23, 1999
    Getting down to the wire isn't it?!?!?

19. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    Don't center on your anxiety, Sapno-Krei.
    Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs. ;)

Be mindful of the living Force.
    It tells me that a positive resolution forthcoming...
    :)

20. Ca-Bal_Sirrah

Ca-Bal_Sirrah Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    It's official. Saturday the 7th at 10am the tix go onsale:( and unless a miracle happens i spent a lot of dough on an airline ticket for nothing. i will miss by one week.

21. Shodan

Shodan Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    It is indeed official. www.senator.com

That said, should we start discussing line business? Maybe one of us can pick up Ca-Bal a ticket.

22. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    I'm sure he'd appreciate that Shodan :)
    Sirrah's usually one of the first in line & one of the few if not only to stay in line the entire wait. If he were in-country, he'd be there now...

But as he isn't (earliest he can get here now is next Wed), the duty of his ticket (& 7 others)has fallen to me, his brother.

Prob is, the earliest I can get someone there is tomorrow , *sometime* during the day. I'm trying to make contact with that person to see how early she can/is willing to be our lead-off in our "relay".

Anyone here able to get there any earlier?

23. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    If you like, I can start a new Official Senator Midnight Screening thread so you can discuss the exact details of getting tickets and when to line up, since this thread is filled with pre-ticket discussion. If you want to keep it all in this thread though, that's fine too.

24. Harth_Cabal

May 27, 2004
    That sounds like a great idea to me, Mogook. :)

If nothing else it'll cut out all the "when/if" stuff to wade past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.