main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Seven Forms Of Lightsabre Combat: If anyone besides me cares...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DARTH_ABBADON, Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    The styles need better names. I cant get the roman numerals straight.

2. JedimasterRiu

JedimasterRiu Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    I also would like to see more of Mace and form VII, it looks like the most precise of all the forms. But unlike Meshiak, I want to see Anakin in exclusive form V in ep 3. How cool would it to see Obi1 back peddaling using all of his form III knowledge to try and defend Anakin, who is coming full tilt with form V, just swinging one powerful, vicious stroke after another. This would be perfect, Anakin could be ruining Obi1, when he puts his saber over his head for a huge swing, Obi pops one in. Sounds great to me!

3. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    If you are having trouble with roman numerals go Here.

4. Meshiak

Meshiak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2002
    Ah, I like the visual MasterRiu. That would be cool to see Anakin exclusively use Form V in his duel with Kenobi. Maybe we could see Anakin toying with Mace using Form VII combined with the Dark Side, taunting Master Windu with his own form, then coming into his own and beating him down with a VII, V combo? (Not sure if Mace and Anakin will duel, but I can dream can't I!) :)

5. JedimasterRiu

Nov 11, 2002
    yep it would be a treat to see something like mace vs a suited vader, but i don't think it will happen. I just don't see Anakin/Vader in three battles in ep3, plus possibly many other Jedi in the purge. I still hope Mace falls at the hand of Palpatine.

6. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Ya, I also hope that Sid is the one who takes out master Windu. After seeing Dooku use Force lightening, I want to see Sid prove why he is the baddest Sith Lord around.

I still think the reason he he left was because he knew troops would be coming and he needed to get the plans to Sidious.

Now back to the Yoda v. Dooku duel, I have to disagree here. I think that Dooku retreated because he knew his defeat was imminent and that there was no way he could defeat Yoda. Just my opinion, though. ;)

7. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    Darth P.
    That roman numeral site is cool! It turns real numbers into roman numerals!

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Yeah, that site is pretty cool!

1138 = MCXXXVIII

9. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Glad to be of help, guys ! :D

There ya go.

10. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Thats a pretty cool idea meshiak! And I love the visual JedimasterRiu.
    To JediMasterYoda12, Yeah I guess we'll never really know, but it's fun to speculate. ;)

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Damn, I'll have to bookmark this, lots of neat stuff I've been interested in.

You may also want to see the AOTC Visual Dictionary which has a few pages detailing more about lightsaber combat. Shows some of the practice moves, body zones, etc.

Also, the Visual Dictionary makes mention of Anakin's saber being designed specifically for Form V combat. When you take a look at the hilt, you can see that one could easily get a good amount of leverage behind it and give quite a blow to their opponent.

I guess one could also take Maul's saber into account when determining his fighting form. Looks a lot like Form IV with some hints of VII. I imagine that a saber like a quarterstaff would allow for a lot more flash in one's combat.

12. JedimasterRiu

Nov 11, 2002
    dooku's saber also is perfect for his form. The curved handle allows him to handle well with one hand when needed

13. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    i thought it was curved (dooku's lightsabre). now i know i wasn't imagining things.

14. JedimasterRiu

Nov 11, 2002
    and for those who don't think dooku's style is anything like fencing, wathch his three duels in slow mo. Almost half of the time he is battling with only one hand.

15. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    Yes people say he couldn't have a fencing style because he used two hands. But like I said in another topic, he only used two hands when he felt he had to. The best example I can give for this is if you notice when he is dueling with Kenobi and he spins around, when he strikes he is using one hand but when he see that Obi-Wan is also spinning around and needs to protect himself from a strong attack, he uses two hands to parry. Also, when dueling with Anakin, he uses primarily two hands because he is up against an opponent that is obviously focusing on the power and force behind his attacks. The time he uses one hand, is when Anakin has two lightsabres. He only uses one hand here because he realizes that because Anakin only has one hand for each sabre, Anakin won't have much force in his attack. Using one hand also alows him to have more freedom of movement.

EDIT: spelling

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Exactly. A Form II combatant would only need both hands if trying to gain some additional leverage or weight to their attack. Since Anakin was putting his weight behind his attack, Dooku had to use both hands in order to balance things out.

17. JedimasterRiu

Nov 11, 2002
    even against Yoda there are times when dooku fights with one hand, more than once too.

18. mams

mams Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2002
    Hi guys! Great topic! Ive been lookin for a topic about this for months! It is the most complete ive read so far, very good work!!!!

It only lacks visual illustration.
    Does anyone got some link about this?
    It would be indeed intersting if we could also see the many stances jedis are using, and also which strikes are exclusive to one form or another.
    Thanks

19. JediMaster41589

JediMaster41589 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
  20. Meshiak

Meshiak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2002
    Kyle, that's a cool piece of information to know that Anakin's saber was specifically designed for Form V combat. I know it's EU, but doesn't Anakin design his Saber in an unconscious state flowing from the force? Would this would make his choice of form destiny and not a conscious decision? Maybe a little bit of both. Meditate on this, I will.

21. scuiggefest

Dec 8, 2002
    This is an extremely cool topic I read every message on it.

I always thought that when Obi-Wan and Vader fought on the death star they weren't really trying yet they were just talking about old times and swinging the light sabers occasionally to test each other before they tried to kill one another.

When Yoda did all the super spin moves fighting Dooku I think he knew he didn't need to save any energy because he knew the fight would be over quickly, whether he finished Dooku himself, or if he ran away like he did, or if Padme and the storm troopers arrived first and shot him, or even if Obi recovered and got back in the fight.

I think the coolest thing would be if the jedi took the laser shields the Jar Jars used in TPM and used those together with a lightsaber. That would be way better then when anakin uses a light saber in each hand.

22. JedimasterRiu

Nov 11, 2002
    this post has really got me excited to see the various duels that might happen in ep. 3!!! I have already said what a great battle obi1 and Anakin will be(III vs IV)
    and how about some other great duels? personally I want another 3-way battle!!! Obi1 and Yoda battle Sidios after he kills Mace!!! won't happen but it would be awsome. based on form matchups, what duels would you like to see?

23. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    Definately Dooku and Mace. I would love to see how the "cream of the crop" form would stand against the "duelists" form.

24. DARTH_ABBADON

Nov 9, 2002
    Sorry, double post.

25. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    "When there is freedom from mechanical conditioning, there is simplicity. The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow - you are not understanding yourself."- Bruce Lee. Just had to say that :D . Really Darth Abaddon I have enjoyed the thread & keep up the great posts-most impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.