main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC The Sewing Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Velvetdragon, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Except for Balticon, after EFF, I'm free until Shore Leave. Of course, my RPG's haven't scheduled yet....

I'm guessing either a workshop or a basic sewing thing would be good - since people pretty much have their own ideas, it might be hard to do much else.

And I've no idea where to find fabric near Mutt's, but near me, there's a few decent shops - I have the best luck at Hancock, it seems. As for a fabric district, I don't know of one.

Roo - I'll be at Balticon so if you remind me in May, I'll help you out.

2. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    There's a JoAnn's near me and a Michael's, but that's about it.

3. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Last time I saw at Jeff's house, I heard an ad on the radio about a place called G Street Fabrics. Has anyone heard of this place? I don't mind doing alittle traveling for a good fabric store. Jeff has a Joann's Fabrics near him, but I was hoping for a GOOD fabric store. :)

Ok if I'm doing a sewing workshop I would need some people to bring along their machines too, I have a Bernina and it doesn't sew like most machines do so having other machines to show different stitches on might be a good idea.

If I do a costume workshop, again I could use at leat one other machine. Everyone would need to bring their own supplies, including thread and patterns, so we can get these costumes started.

I'll setup 2 polls, one to see if we want a sewing how-to class or a costume workshop. The other poll would be for the date to do it. Saturdays will be the best choice.

4. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    G Street is nice - a local chain I think - but from what I can tell it's expensive. There's one near me, though, so if Mutt brings you on a road trip I'll take you. I don't know if there's still one actually on G Street. (Typical DC)

5. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I heard that G Street Fabrics is a Bernina deler and owning a Bernina, that is pretty important to me. I doubt I'd have to twist Jeff's arm too hard to get him to bring me by your place for a shopping trip. :)

6. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Well Mal, if you heard that on my radio, it was probably a DC station as I don't think there's one of those in my neighborhood.

7. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    There is a G-Street in Potomac Mills. It is a wonderful place; they have everything and anything you could possibly want. I'm not really all that into sewing and I was in awe of it all. The drawback is that it is rather expensive. You're better off buying basics somewhere else and getting the things from G-Street that you can't find anywhere else.

8. Velvetdragon

Velvetdragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2004
    But how do you look at the polls. So far all I can find is to create one, nothing else.

Velvetdragon
    Chrissy

9. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Opps I knew I was forgetting something, polls are up now. :D

10. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    Seek out a G Street Fabrics! Skip the regular price tables and head straight for the $2.77/yard bargain table. I've found beautiful fabrics there that go for as much as $30/yard. It varies by the day what is there, as with all remnant tables, but the quality is usually great and the price is right.

There are G Streets in Chantilly and at Seven Corners as well as at Potomac Mills...there's also a big one in Bethesda.

I did 20 costumes for the fan film Revelations, and I got all of the fabric off the G Street bargain tables.

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'll reiterate the "Good but pricey." The one out near Dulles is a bit smaller than Potomac Mills or 7 corners. If you want something SPECIFIC, you're likely to find it there, but I'd check Hancock's or Jo-anne's first (I was pricing cotton velveteen, and Jo-Ann's had exactly what I wanted at $10.99, while it was nearly $15 at G St.)

Jo-Ann's also had some very lovely metallic "spacey" type fabric, too...

For good bargains, a road trip to Philly is needed, since that good place in Gettysburg closed :( .

I propose a series of get-togethers. We could start with planning/discussion of projects we want to do combined with an "Introduction to Sewing" for beginners. Then, depending on how things go, we can get into serious pattern drafting/fitting or plan a road trip for fabric or whateer we decide to do next.

I can bring my venerable Singer for training. Though someone will have to PM me directions...

12. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    Here is my shopping advice!

If you are planning on buying anything at Joann's or Hancock fabrics, I recommend signing up for each ones in store coupon mailer. I think you can do it online or in the store. I get a 50% off coupon in the mail every two weeks for Joann's, and I usually get a 30% off coupon for Hancock's every other month. (They are not applicable on sewing machines though).

I always watch the sales at Joann's too, and they are listed online. From 3/6 to 3/7, Vogue patterns are $3.99, McCalls and Butterick patterns are $1, and thread is 50% off.

G Street Fabrics is a fabric lovers paradise, but like everyone has said, its usually more expensive. They do offer a wide range of sewing classes, and the store emails out the list if you sign up for their mailer in the store. G Street also has an incredible selection of trims and do dads. There is one in Rockville too.

Another great place to find inexpensive fabric is the $1/yd rack at Walmart. They get the strangest selection of materials, but sometimes it is exactly what I am looking for. :)

Anyway, I have bought a lot of material and patterns, so I am ready to actually sew now! ;) I will be available any time after 4/17 for a class or workshop. I can bring my sewing machine and my serger (but I only know three overlock stitches so far).

cheers,
    ecila

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.