main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The SFF: Books and Comics Book Club - Currently Discussing - Threshhold

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Welcome to the SFF: Books and Comics Book Club! :) Here is the list of books we'll be discussing for this period.

Aliens: Earth Hive - Steve Perry

Aliens Vs. Predator: Prey - Steve Perry and Stephani Perry

T2: Infiltrator - S. M. Stirling

Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Threshhold by Sara Douglass

I won't go in that exact order. Each discussion on a book will last 1 week which afterwards we'll move on to another book. Seeing as we've only recieved 6 nominations this period will last 6 weeks unless NYCitygurl tells me otherwise. I'll try to post a new question every 1 to 2 days covering something about the book. For the first day we'll just start off with talking about general feelings about the book and what we thought of it.

For our first book we'll start at the top of the list and go with Aliens: Earth Hive by Steve Perry.

[image=http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n1/n9267.jpg]

Overall I enjoyed this book. It was the first Alien only novel I read after reading Aliens Vs. Predator: Prey. I liked the treatment of the characters in this book as you get a good background on them but not to much where it takes up most of the novel. The plot was pretty damn good. I mean you get these marines sent to recover an Alien from it's home planet only to find out after they return to earth without one that there was already one on earth and has produced more Aliens which now swarm the planet. It's a pretty down ending but I like it. I'll expand more later but I have to leave for work soon

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    More discussion please!? [face_worried]

3. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    It was the first Alien book I'd ever read and at the time I thought Wilks and Billie were derivitive of Hicks and Next until I learned that originally they had been and the names had just been changed later on to fit the new continuity. Overall I thought it was good, the idea of a mission to the Aliens Homeworld with everything going wrong as usual. Its a good ride, but I have a problem believing that Earth with all its resources could go under like that. For all their killing ability, you fire a pulse rifle blast at one of them they die as easily as anything else.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    well they do hint at the events in the movie Aliens about 1 marine and 2 civilians escaping the planet

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That they do.

I liked this book alot.

As for Earth and all it's resources going under, well, the bugs are cockroaches basically. Ones that eat you. Of course we'd go under. :p

6. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I still don't buy it, they're hard to kill but I find it hard to believe that they could get that out of control. The book even says that the tactical squads were going great wiping out nests, sure they may have missed the occasional survivor, but with the resources on offer the infestation should never have gotten that out of hand.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yes. but as it also says in the book Orona (i think that's his name) says that the squads probably got cocky and over confident and as a result started to get sloppy. which isn't that far fetched if you think about it

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, plus the way these things spread..I can see it happening.

Ash wasn't joking when he called it the ultimate survivor. Even if you miss one frickin egg, the entire cycle can start over again.

Plus I'd reckon an alien could infect anything about down to the size of a small dog, really. Tie that to a 24-hour growth cycle and it's an major ouch.

9. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah but with all the resources, plus all kinds of future technology like robots they could probably use to search any hiding places it shouldn't have happened. Unless someone or something had an interest in using the infestation as a means of culling the population on Earth.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not to mention that Earth was completely unprepared, and that the company whose bug started the infestation did their damndest to keep it a secret.

seriously-how many people do ya think just straight-out vanish in major cities?

Not to mention that the infestation happened all across the earth at once..;)

Anyhow, on to some stuff that isn't relentlessly back & forth: the characters of this book.

Billie is an interesting character; I like her relationship with Bueller. While Steve (IMO) isn't a strong enough writer to really pull it off, it's still fun to read about.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Apologies for the delay. The next book that will be discussed is Threshhold by Sara Douglass. I will my input tomorrow morning seeing as I need to get to sleep. I-)

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I absolutely love this book :D It's my favorite Sara Douglass book, because it's neat and not confusing and has a sweet, happy ending. Some parts near the end were boring like when they were fighting Nzame but most of it is very well-written and has kept my attention through several reads :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.