main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*** The SFF: Films/TV Trivia Contest! - Sign-Ups Begin Tomorrow!! ***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWan506, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    :confused:

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
  3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    PMing you now TIE.

:)

4. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    In an attempt to conform the rules to the wants of the users of this board, I want to pose a question to everyone and gather any input or opinions you have on the matter. The idea is simple. Should the 'lightning round' rule be eliminated? If so, what would take it's place? A rule that all teams surviving after regulation be promoted as winners?

What's your opinions? What should be changed?

5. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Well, it depends. If there are multiple teams, i.e., three or four of them, that have played the game all of the way to the 15th question, then I think declaring them all winnarz is uncommonly silly. However, if there are only two teams at the 15th question, then perhaps declaring both teams winnarz is appropriate. Afterall, my experience with the trivia games is limited and I don't know how often these games go to the 15th question. If it's a rare event, then rewarding the teams that achieve it seems proper. If it is a commonality, then perhaps utilizing the lightning round concept remains viable.

In this particular case, both teams played the game well. I believe most of the other teams were eliminated fairly early on in the competition. The remaining two teams played the game well for the remainder and reaching the 16th question was an e-accomplishment for both.

I do think that if the lightning round is kept, notice of the time for posting the 16th question needs to be given. The notice could be 24 hours or some lesser time. That way both teams either actually know or constructively know how the game will proceed past the 15th question. Certainly, that places teams with multiple members at a disadvantage compared to single member teams. In fact, the only reason we were able to win the game was because I unilaterally went out, found the answer, and sent it to Conor without conferring with my teammate. I imagine TIE would have easily beaten us had I elected to confer with Lily, since she hasn't read my PMs to her as of this writing. That is not a negative reflection on her as a teammate, she's been wonderful to pair with, it's just that when you have a team of two and you seek to confer, it takes longer.

Anyway, those are more stream of conscious thoughts about how the game can proceed. I hope they were somewhat clear.

EDITS: grammar stuff and spelling.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    We won!?!?:eek: I'm sorry I wasn't around Lord, I was wworking earlier. You definitely deserve most of the credit for this, it was great having you for a teammate. :)

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    :oops: I feel like a complete idiot. I was looking over the rules for the Trivia game and I realized I didn't give the teams notice for when the 16th question/lightning round was going to be posted like I was supposed to. I guess I was in a rush to get the question posted. :oops: I think the current rules are fine the way they are. I just happened to screw up with this recent game. [face_frustrated]

8. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Don't be too hard on yourself, Conor. It was an easy mistake to make. Though Lily and I benefited from the mistake, I don't think anyone will hold it against you.

That said, I do think some accommodation should be made when you are faced with a lightning round and there is a team of two members and a team of one member. In those circumstances, like the ones faced this morning, allowing both teams to claim the spoils of victory doesn't seem too unreasonable.

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Mistakes happen, but in the end everything is dealt with fairly I think.

We're going to do away with the lightning round rule. It's a decision I personally came to after I received some input from this thread. So, from now on, if there is more the one team after regulation, everyone is a winner and will be rewarded as such. I'll edit the rules on the first page of this thread to reflect that.

And with that, I think the new round of sign ups will be soon.

:)

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    We can start them now. ;)

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13)
    14)
    15)
    16)

11. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13) Lord_NoONE
    14)
    15)
    16)

12. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    1) LilyHobbitJedi
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13) Lord_NoONE
    14)
    15)
    16)

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    1) LilyHobbitJedi
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13) Lord_NoONE
    14)
    15)
    16) Juliet316

Life has been so hectic lately, that I'm probably going to regret this depending on the film (please say a Star Trek film!), but, let the games begin!

14. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    1) LilyHobbitJedi
    2)
    3)
    4) StarWarsIsforever444
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13) Lord_NoONE
    14)
    15)
    16) Juliet316

15. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    1) LilyHobbitJedi
    2) TIEPilot051999
    3)
    4) StarWarsIsforever444
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13) Lord_NoONE
    14)
    15)
    16) Juliet316

16. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    1) LilyHobbitJedi
    2) TIEPilot051999
    3)
    4) StarWarsIsforever444
    5) jag29
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13) Lord_NoONE
    14)
    15)
    16) Juliet316

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I'd like some more people to sign up!!! :D

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Alrighty, here is what's happening. I am going to leave sign-ups open until Thursday evening. Regardless if we get more sign-ups or not. I'm going to throw this out there. If we still have 6 users signed up by then would any of you care if we just went with individual users playing or just have 3 teams of 2?

19. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    I don't care either way. I like the team concept but I don't give two shakes of a lamb's tail how it works out.

20. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006

21. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    I, for one, look forward to seeing what we will be dealing with, and how it will play out.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Do we want to do individual play or do team play this time? As of right now we have an odd # of users signed up which means we can go w/ individual play or have 3 teams of 2 and a user by themselves.

23. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    je mi to jedno!

24. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd like to do individual. Having one person be a team on his own didn't exactly work out that good the last time. (And I'm not saying that because I was that one person team and ended up losing.)

25. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    If there is a vote. I vote for individual too.

jag29

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.