Amph The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (or Beatles) thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Sep 17, 2006.

1. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Harrison's All Things Must Pass is easily one of the greatest albums ever recorded (tied with Days Of Future Past, by The Moody Blues).

I think Harrison was the best songwriter of the four.. :)
  2. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Oh yeah, definitely. George was the greatest creative driving force.
  3. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Welll, he certainly had a way of putting things to words and music. The thing they always said about him was that he didn't mess around, if he liked something he'd sing about it, and if he didn't like something he'd sing about that, and he didn't care what anyone thought about it.
  4. That_Jedi_Guy Jedi Master

star 3
    What a coincidence that this thread would be started right now. All weekend long this radio station in my area (Washington DC) has been playing Beatles music non-stop, every song, A-Z. It's pretty cool.
  5. winter_chili Force Ghost

star 5
    I just got Revolver and Abbey Road. All I'm missing now is The White Album.

I'm head over heels for "I'm Only Sleeping" and the second half of Abbey Road.
  6. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Please tell me that's sarcasm. :p

In no particular order:

1. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    2. Twist and Shout
    3. I Saw Her Standing There
    4. I'm A Loser
    5. Mr. Moonlight [just for Lennon's delivery :p ]
    6. Ticket To Ride
    7. Think For Yourself
    8. In My Life
    9. Rain
    10.Taxman
    11.I'm Only Sleeping
    12.She Said She Said
    13.And Your Bird Can Sing
    14.Tomorrow Never Knows
    15.A Day In the Life
    16.Strawberry Fields Forever
    17.Good Morning Good Morning
    18.She's Leaving Home
    19.I Am The Walrus
    20.Hey Jude
    21.Glass Onion
    22.I'm So Tired
    23.Cry Baby Cry
    24.Savoy Truffle
    25.Sexy Sadie
    26.Helter Skelter
    27.Everybody's Got Something To Hide...
    28.Come Together
    29.Something

Yeah, it's long. I still left ones out that are just as good.
  7. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I don't know, Lennon/McCartney duo was a tough rival to match... ;) But his songwriting skills improved incredibly. Just compare the relatively simple I Need You to Something, perhaps the most beautiful Beatles' love ballad - that's a big jump in quality. And Paul himself admitted that he and John underrated George as a songwriter.
  8. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Even if you say that George's best was equal to John and Paul's best, they win just because of the sheer quantity of their output at that level.
  9. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    A lot of the time though, "Lennon / McCartney" was a stamp put on songs, especially in the later years (and some in the earlier / middle years). The two wrote their songs separately, and they were credited as Lennon / McCartney. In later years, they could hardly stand to be in the same room together. This is epecially evident in the Let It Be movie. Lennon considered McCartney to be the "Loungesinger" of the group.

Don't get me wrong, I adore ALL the beatles songs... I honestly can't think of one I don't particularly like.

"Don't Bother Me" one of my favorites off of With The Beatles.

"I need you", I agree isn't one of his best, but still good, same for "You Like Me Too Much"

"If I Needed Someone" is one of my favorite songs on the Rubber Soul album. Think For Yourself is good as well (Lennon's "Girl" and Norweigen Wood" are still my favorites off that album).

"I Want To Tell You, Love You Too, and Taxman" are three of the best somgs on the Revover album. Again, there are also great Lennon / McCartney compositions on that album, but I think these three surpass some of them.... such as "Got To Get You Into My Life", one song that I always find myself skipping over. Tomorrow Never Knows, easily wins for best song on the album though.

The Inner Light is one of my favorite Harrison songs..

Within You Without you, is easily one of the best off the Sgt Peppers album (topped only by A Day In The Life)

Only A NOrthern Song and It's All Too Much... two of the best songs from the Yellow Submarine movie and soundtrack.

Long Long Long - beautiful... Piggies... meh, but had good thought behind it, Savoy Truffle... again meh, but still worthy. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the best songs ever written ever, by any artist.

I've always loved Blue Jay Way. It's one of the cooler video sequences in the Magical Mystery Tour movie.

Here Comes The Sun and Something... timeless classics.

I Me Mine is a great song... Old Brown Shoe and For You Blue are both excellent, but not two of my favorites.

One thing to really look at as well, is his solo career.

As I said before, I think All Things Must Pass is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

The Concert For Bangladesh, is very worth listening to... I highly recommend it.

Wonderwall Music and Electronic Sound are beautiful albums.

Darkhorse... you must hear.

Extra Texture and Thirty Three 1/3 Worth hearing..

Cloud Nine... also good (but not one of my favorites).

Again, I'm not looking down on Lennon / McCartney... far from it. I just happen to be a big George Harrison fan.
  10. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    A lot of the time though, "Lennon / McCartney" was a stamp put on songs, especially in the later years (and some in the earlier / middle years). The two wrote their songs separately, and they were credited as Lennon / McCartney. In later years, they could hardly stand to be in the same room together. This is epecially evident in the Let It Be movie. Lennon considered McCartney to be the "Loungesinger" of the group.

I don't think anyone has said that they wrote 50/50. After the early days they'd usually just help finish a song, if need be.

Personally, I prefer Lennon. As you can see with my selection of favourites. But I can still tell that McCartney was just as talented and prolific. That's not the case with Harrison. If you took a survey, you'd find the same thing.

You're giving too much weight to personal preference. I really enjoy 'Don't Bother Me' as well, but it's not anywhere near the same ballpark as John and Paul's songs. It's just not. She's Leaving Home is easily better than Within You Without You. So while Lennon and McCartney produced Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, She's Leaving Home, and A Day In The Life during the Pepper Sessions, Harrison only managed Within You Without You.

EDIT:

30. Two of Us
    31. Dig a Pony
    32. Dig It
    33. I've Got A Feeling
  11. Dagobah1234 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    John > Paul > George > Ringo

[face_love]
  12. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Really, that's all I'm giving weight to. Music is a very personal thing for me. It makes me emotional, and soothes me at the same time. As far as other people's personal preferences, that's entirely their decision. People are moved by diferent things. I can't argue gainst other people's feelings about art... that would really be pointless, you know?
  13. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I understand what you're saying. Perhaps an example will better illustrate my point. I'm sure that somewhere out there, there is someone who thinks Ringo is the best songwriter on the Beatles. Now this is their personal preference, and no one is saying that shouldn't like Ringo's work, but at the same time if they were to insist that Ringo is a better songwriter than the other Beatles(when taking personal preference out of it), then this person is clearly insane.

It's like, I may not enjoy hip hop, but I can still tell that a gifted rapper is immmensely talented.
  14. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Of course..

...and I never said Lennon, McCartney, and Starr weren't gifted. I love The Beatles collectively. I always have. I've been a huge fan since I was about four or five years old. At one point, Lennon was my favorite, but people grow and change... so as far as where I'm at right now in my life... I mean, how things move me at this stage in my life, I appreciate George Harrison a lot.

I also love Ringo... but I have to be in the mood. :p

I saw Ringo with his "All Star Band" with my dad back in 1992 (I was on a break from Grateful Dead tour...and it was a welcome change of pace). His band was great... included Joe Walsh... interesting.

The following year, I saw McCartney, again with my dad. He is a high energy performer... though a bit cheesey at times... he still makes that face..

[image=http://www.catanna.com/paulanimals.jpg] Heehee.. :p

I saw Julian Lennon back in 1986 with my stepmother... he had a juggler as his opening act.. it was fun.
  15. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'm not doubting that you're a fan. Frankly, I could care less either way. To each his own. My point is 'my favourite' does not necessarily equal 'the best songwriter'.
  16. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Note, I originally said I think Harrison is the best songwriter of the four.

Anyway... :p
  17. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yeah, but whether you say 'I think' or leave it out, it's your opinion either way. The second one is just implies it instead. :p
  18. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, the reason George's quantity was low was partly because George wasn't allowed as many songs to be recorded, he was fairly limited. He had written so many songs by the time the Beatles broke up that he was able to immediatley sit down and record a triple album with no weak songs on it.

By rights, John and Paul were the most important facet of the Beatles. Well, I actually think George's voice is very important to the harmonies, serving the role that Dennis WIlson's voice served in the Beach Boys, grounding the incredibly perfect harmonies to John and Paul down to earth in an intersting way.

I do think that of the Beatles solo careers, George's seems the most natural as a solo artist. John and Paul had to live up to being John and Paul, but George was George. Paul felt the nedd to be the good natured band leader who wrote the feel good bubblegum pop, and John felt the need to make the big grandiose statements about life while simultaneously creating incredibly stripped down deconstructionist music. And there is nothing wrong with either of those, I enjoy both of there solo stuff, but with George, he just seems like a newly discovered artist. He just has this feeling of, "all right, now I can get down to work and let people here my music".

Now, I don't even want to discuss the merits of Ringo's solo career, it would take me too long to justify my love for his solo career (well selected bits of it).
  19. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That's true. But there's a difference between 'no weak songs' and churning out an album full of (potential) singles.

Towards the end he was getting about 2 songs for every 5 or so by John or Paul (i.e. 10 combined). That's probably what his talent deserved in relation to theirs.
  20. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, I honestly don't think the single potentiality of a song is a good indicator of quality. Case in point, Silly Love Songs, probably one of the most rediculed of McCartney
    s solo works, yet it topped the charts in America for several weeks.
  21. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  22. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah I do.

But you really sould listen to All Things Must Pass if you haven't. It reall is up there as one of those albums you need to hear before you die.
  23. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    BTW, I think these Pirate-George icons are great. :cool:

We need permanent Beatles icons me thinks.
  24. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Thanks! :D I think you should wear one as well, nudge nudge, knowhatamean? ;)

I second that! :D

And now...

The Pirate Song!!! :cool:
  25. Darth-Jaguar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've liked the Beatles for years, though I never really listened to much of their solo stuff. For some reason I like John's songs the most, though I like songs from all of them. Here's a listen of some of my favorite Beatles songs:

A Day In The Life
    Norwegian Wood
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Here Comes The Sun
    The Fool On The Hill
    Hey Bulldog
    Nowhere Man
    I Feel Fine
    In My Life
    Across the Universe
    Long and Winding Road
    Hello Goodbye