main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (or Beatles) thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Well then, thank you so much for posting it. :p

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think you pasted the wrong link

4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh no, that's to find an otolarygologist. :p

5. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Oh. Duh. I was expecting to find more horrendous Beatles tributes!

6. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
  7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You know, I tried to play McCartney's Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five on the piano today. It's super hard. And as soon as you get a feel for what's being played and how it structurally and harmonically hangs together, you're in awe of McCartney's craftsmanship - as well as his piano playing. A thing he's not even known for. He is a supreme master, the only one we have in pop music. ​
    And yet: the article's right. He is very boring. He has nothing interesting to say.​

8. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Have you read Many Years From Now?

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes I have. Alright, let me rephrase: he has nothing interesting to say that's not about himself or the Beatles.

10. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    In that case, I urge you to familiarize yourself with:

The Unknown Paul McCartney: McCartney and the Avant-Garde
    Paul McCartney: Paintings (the interview starts at page 27)

You're basing your opinion, I suspect, on rock mag interviews. (But look at the questions they ask him.)

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I know all his music and his official biography. Should be sufficient.
    Didn't I just say he was the greatest pop composer alive? Should be sufficient.
    Look, the guy's defending Ebony and Ivory! He deserves a little flak.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, in case my ears haven't stopped bleeding. It took me a ridiculously long time to get that.

Also, am I crazy or do some of those people not even know the words to the song?

Stevie Wonder for example: "Waves of hhuummph, waves of errhmhth." And take those damned maracas away. And some of them just can't even hit the right notes. It's so bad.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  14. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Sad news. I read Lewisohn's Tune In last year and there's some interesting stuff about him in there.

15. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Whoa. George Martin. As soon as this thread was upped I suspected bad news.

To me he was the only one who could claim to be the 5th Beatle, though of course he never did that: he was as modest as he was talented. His contribution to music is enormous: from TV themes to Goon Shows, from The Beatles to Chopin, my music library is crammed with his work. He was the only one who knew what to do when John Lennon said he wanted his song to sound "like an orange". I'll play the moving "Friends And Lovers"--his own work--in his honor.

Mar17swgirl and jp-30 like this.
  16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There's literally nothing else left - McCartney dies, McCartney releasing another live album. Ringo dies, Ringo releasing a new studio album.

17. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Yeah. The Beatles are truly fading into history now.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Sad news indeed. :( :( :( Without George Martin, the Beatles would never have gotten to where they were, he was a huge influence on their musical progress.

R.I.P. @};-

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It may be anecdotal, but didn't he basically sign them to Parlaphone as he thought the label could do with a rock and roll band on their roster?

21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    There's nothing I can say that has already been said or will be said by the music press. The Beatles are my favourite band, and always have been from my earliest experiences listening to their records on my Mum and Dad's vinyl player. He's a man, though invisible in many ways, who was able to speak to many generations. He truly was the man behind the curtain. This is how I choose to remember him:

Odd choice, isn't it? Not really.

The story behind Tomorrow Never Knows is one of the early stories of how music technology was commandeered in an abstract and unprecedented manner where the loop sounds are produced from the studio team, George himself included, physically pulling the tape from one reel to the other reel. But, it was a VERY technical process and my description barely scrapes the surface. Suffice it to say, Lennon's love of psychedelia was only one half of what made Tomorrow Never Knows possible. It was Martin's cunning and daring passion for producing music which pioneered his imagination to create something unique.

RIP.

EHT, Todd the Jedi and jp-30 like this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If John Lennon came into the studio, and said the track needed to sound more orange, he was the one who found a way to translate that idea into music.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Sir George Martin was indeed the 5th Beatle. His work in signing and shaping the sound of the Beatles is indisputable. He was a legend and will be missed.

Mar17swgirl and EHT like this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Same here. RIP George.

25. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    If anyone deserved the title "Fifth Beatle", Martin would be it. His contributions to their greatness should not be understated and cannot be overstated.