main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (or Beatles) thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Stormtrooper_TK-421

Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    That video is awesome!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm a big Beatle's fan, myself... I have just about all their albums. And after reading this thread, my interest in picking up some George Harrison CD's has peeked. [face_peace]

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    NI! :mad:

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, wrong thread... :p I meant "UP!" :D

Anyway...

More picspam! [face_dancing]

The Threetles
    [image=http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/BeatlesEartists6.jpg]

Threetles plus George Martin
    [image=http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/BeatlesEartists8.jpg]

Before the breakup...
    [image=http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/BeatlesEartists5.jpg]

Classic
    [image=http://images.starpulse.com/AMGPhotos/pic200/drp100/p113/p11321o4msc.jpg]

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wrong thread.. :p

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    But I already corrected myself... O:)

5. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    QFT

We were talking
    about the people
    who gain the world
    and loose their souls

this is the easily the truest thing i've ever heard in my life, because i see it everyday.

every beatles discussion involves the same boring "who was/were the better songwriters Lennon or McCartney or Lennon/McCartney or Harrison. what everyone fails to comment on is the fact that Paul is easily one of the most underrated bass players. You really begin to see he has some pretty good talent on the "Rubber Soul" album, but then it really becomes apparent on "Revolver" and of course "Sgt. Pepper" for example, the bass line for "Something" is a beautiful complement to the song, it's really a harmonius melody on it's own. Paul's real genius is the fact that his bass lines blended so beutifully into the melody of the song that, to the appreciative ear (all you other musicians out there!), his bass line transcends being just a part of the rhythm section, tying the guitars and drums together, to its own beautiful melody.

just my two cents.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, his bass skills really shined on Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour..

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. But sometimes, if you don't specifically listen to it, you hardly notice it - but if you took it away, the songs wouldn't be the same. I think that's the brilliance of it - something not too flashy and "look at me how I can play the bass", but something that's subtle and enriching the song.

But I still love Paul's bass in "Rain". [face_love]

8. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    I need to get Rain! It was a single so I don't have it. I am madly in love with Revolver and Abbey Road which I just got. It's a rare instance when a band or an artist or really anyone gets the appropriate level of praise but The Beatles deserve. They are the greatest ever.

9. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    it's on Past Master Vol. 2, if you can find a copy somewhere.

10. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    sometimes you can see tony sheridan here in hamburg..

11. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002

ringo's drumming on rain is fantastic as well. i don't think paul is really underrated as a bass player. he's great for sure, but his greatness is pretty widely regarded from what i've seen.

i just finished reading "the beatles" by bob spitz. it's a pretty good bio, fairly well written and super detailed. i'd recommend it for anyone who doesn't already know a lot about their history.

"revolution in the head" by ian macdonald is pretty much a must read for any serious fan.

12. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Yeah, that's an excellent book.

13. Jebadiarrhea

Jebadiarrhea Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2006
    Abby Road kicks ass. As does the white album and let it be. Revolver is awesome too.

14. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Since I finally completed my Zeppelin and Queen album collections I decided to get into the Beatles. So far I've got Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, and the White Album. Sgt. Pepper's is my favorite, love every song on there except for Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. I don't find Revolver to be that strong of an album after the Taxman and Eleanor Rigby, but repeated listens will probably change my opinion. It's alot of material to dive into at once.

15. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Sgt. Pepper is my fav too!

16. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    been a Beatles fan for a long time. Started with "breakfast with the beatles" radio show Sunday mornings when I was kid. Then when I went to visit a friend who went away to college when I was 14 and they were playing the Beatles a lot in the dorm. I came home and bought the white album on tape that winter than Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour by the next summer and never looked back while compiling my Beatles collection.

Here's my Beatles wall at an old apartment.

[image=http://home.comcast.net/~w34payton/beatles_wall1.jpg]

It gave the walls a little color. :p

Whether there is any one songwriter better than another in the Beatles it doesn't really matter to me cause it took the four guys and George Martin working together to make it all work and that's all that matters.

I prefer Paul songs and Paul's attitude to John's by a slight margin but that's just a listening preference not because I think he's a better songwriter.

I rate the albums like this.

1) Revolver
    2) Rubber Soul
    3) Abbey Road
    4) The White Album
    5) Magical Mystery Tour
    6) Let it Be
    7) Sgt Pepper
    8) Help
    9) A Hard Days Night
    10)Beatles for Sale
    11)With the Bealtes
    12)Please Please Me

It's amazing that the Beatles toured the world non stop for several years and were still able to release all these records and go through all the changes in a 7 year period. Bands these days take 2 or 3 years or more in between new material.

If you're gonna collect beatles cd's Past Masters 1 & 2 is a must for all the singles.

17. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Nice beatles wall. :cool:

18. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Another album?! The Beatles have been around for, what, over 40 years? Enough is enough; John, Paul, George, and Ringo should just retire and live off the royalties. I'm a fan, but they've had a good run and should quit while they're still at the top.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Fixed, and QFT! :D

If that was supposed to be a joke then it's not very funny. [face_plain]

21. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    It's not like that. It's from the Cirque du Soleil show. Seems cool to me, really.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I laughed.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I did, too.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wow... trolling a Beatles thread...

I guess you're showing us..

Man, you are cool as hell..

...really.

[face_tired]

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Trolling? [face_laugh] Whatever you say. I intended to make a light-hearted comment on the volume of The Beatles' output since their breakup in 1970. No offense was intended, and I don't really understand how someone could be offended.