main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "The Shadow of Fate" (SJRS Challenge: Episode VII) Complete! 29 August

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Jun 9, 2014.

1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [​IMG]

[face_laugh];)

My awards prize courtesy of the amazing Jedi_Lover was artwork by Vagabonx - who graciously agreed to include three people rather than two so all of the Skywalker kids could be represented, and he did a fantastic job!

So, without further ado, here is Ben, Micah and Cilla:

[​IMG]

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Awesome! I love his work!

divapilot and JadeLotus like this.
  3. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I really loved the flashback --- and although they are teetering on friendship/more -- I really loved the banter as she is leaving the room. I hope we get to see they at Wedge's wedding on the dance floor.

JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    any updates on when the next chapter might be out?

5. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Maybe this weekend - it's written but I'm making a concerted effort this week to finish at least the first draft of the whole thing to make sure I don't contradict myself in the earlier chapters.

6. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    sounds good. just keep us posted. No pun intended.

JadeLotus likes this.
  7. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    As promised, the next chapter. This is a long one, so apologies to those who don't like long chapters.

Tags: Gemma

Chapter 27

1 NRE

Mara met Luke at the entrance to the former Imperial Gardens, which under the New Republic had been renamed the Serenity Gardens. Once barricaded off and only accessible by the highest echelons of Imperial society, Mara saw that the high gates had been removed, with access now open to all.

Luke smiled at her approach, and Mara took a moment to appreciate his formal attire. He wore dark blue trousers and high boots, a crisp white tunic buttoned up to his chin, and a fashionable blue half-cape which crossed over his chest and draped down one side of his back. His chest was insignia free, save for a small silver button with the Rebel Alliance symbol, and another gleaming on his wide belt.

“Mara,” he greeted her warmly. “You look beautiful.”

Mara had by coincidence also chosen to wear blue, although her dress was of a less daring cut than the one she’d worn to the Liberation Day ball months ago. Even so, the bodice was tight and left one shoulder bare, and the billowing skirt caught the light to reflect different shades of deep aquamarine.

“Well, that’s a step up from nice,” Mara teased him, remembering that was how he’d appraised her appearance at the ball. “How come you don’t say such things when I’m in my training clothes and dripping with sweat?”

Luke laughed. “Take pity on me today, Mara,” he asked. “And accept a compliment.”

“You look very stylish,” she conceded. He rarely wore his Jedi robes to their training sessions, leaving them as ceremonial attire. She was glad for that, and although his usual attire of nondescript, plain tunics and trousers was practical, they were utterly uninspiring. Mara found that he wore fashionable, well-cut clothes well, and found herself admiring the pleasant way the cape cut tightly across his chest. “Is this vintage Old Republic?” she found herself asking, lightly brushing her fingers across the soft fabric against his shoulder, the wool of his half-cape soft and finely spun.

If Luke was startled by her behaviour he didn’t show it. “I’m not sure - Leia gave it to me,” he told her. “She said it reminded her of Bail.”

Mara withdrew her hand and forced a smile. “It suits you.”

“Thank you.” Luke’s smile was warm, and he held out his arm, bent at the elbow. Mara hesitated only a moment, deciding for once to drown out that voice which always searched for ulterior motive, and slipped her hand into the crook of his arm.

They walked inside the gardens and through the pathways lined with silver-leafed Galek trees until they came to the Ithorian rose garden, where the blue flowers were in full bloom. It was also teeming with people, and Luke quickly led them over to where Leia was talking quietly with her husband. Her burgundy gown was beautiful, the high waist and generous folds of the skirt concealing her rounded belly. Although Mara was aware of her pregnancy through Luke, she had not heard a peep of it on the holonet, and assumed Solo must have paid off some highly-placed individuals to get the holopress to leave her alone for a few months.

Luke hugged his sister in greeting and received a rough but affectionate pat on the shoulder from Solo, while Mara hung back, a little unsure. But Leia was not so shy, stepping forward and greeting Mara effusively, kissing her cheek and complimenting her dress.

“Hey, Jade,” Solo smirked at her. “So the kid hasn’t got you chained up in the Jedi Temple after all.”

“Han,” Leia hit his arm warningly.

“It’s just been a while since we had the pleasure of her company, is all,” Han shrugged. “Although I use the term loosely.”

Mara grimaced. While she had thrown herself into Jedi training with Skywalker, she had shirked from his frequent invitations to spend downtime with his family and friends. In fact, she had only met Wedge Antilles once, when he’d come to visit Skywalker at the Temple, and now she was attending his wedding.

“Ignore him, Mara,” Leia gave her a warm smile and elbowed her husband in the ribs.

Luke touched her arm lightly. “I have to go stand up with Wedge,” he said, indicating where the Rogue Squadron leader stood with the celebrant. “I’ll see you after.”

Mara shooed him away with the wave of her hand and tuned back to Leia and Han, forcing a smile onto her face.

“Try harder, Jade,” Solo teased. “It’s not at all convincing.” Mara’s face dropped into a scowl and she glared at him, making Solo roar with laughter. “Now that, I believe.”

“How is your training going, Mara?” Leia asked politely, ignoring her husband. “Luke says you’re doing very well.”

If that was the case Mara wondered why Leia had asked her. “If he says that, I’m sure it’s the truth.” She had to admit, Organa was determined. Despite Mara’s frequent rebuffs of Leia’s overtures of friendship, she still kept trying. For what purpose, Mara still wasn’t sure, although the old Mandalorian saying to keep your enemies as close as battle armor came to mind.

“There’s Iella,” Leia indicated the entrance to the rose garden where a blonde woman in an elaborate green dress and beaming smile began to walk up the path which had been marked out with blue petals. “Oh, she looks beautiful.”

Mara cast her glance back up to the other end of the aisle where Antilles stood with an identical smile, gazing at Iella adoringly as she walked towards him. Skywalker was at his side, beaming with pride and happiness. He caught Mara’s eyes for a moment and nodded to her, but Mara looked away, only to be confronted by a curious look from Solo, as if he had been studying her.

Resolved not to give him the satisfaction of a reaction, Mara kept her eyes on the soon to be wedded couple and did not look away for the rest of the ceremony.

The wedding reception took place in the central rotunda of the Serenity Gardens, which had been lit up with thousands of brightly coloured firelights. Mara chatted to Luke quietly in between a parade of his friends and acquaintances who came over to wish him well, enquire about the Jedi Temple and in the case of his Rogue buddies, ask when he was going to join them at the bar.

“There's Oren,” Luke said to her, in the same way he’d been pointing people out to her all night. He waved at a dark-skinned man who approached them with a genial smile. He carried a small girl of perhaps two in his arms, decked out in a sparkly silver party dress and matching tiara.

“Luke, my friend,” Oren greeted him. “Kara,” he said to the small child who had one arm tight around her father’s neck and the other over her mouth self consciously. “Say hello to Luke.”

“Hewo, Luke,” the little girl said through her fingers.

“Hello little one,” Luke smiled at her broadly. “You look very pretty,” he added. “You know my sister is a princess, but even she doesn’t look as pretty as you in a tiara.”

Kara giggled and looked at Luke adoringly, her self-conscious hand falling away from her face.

“This is my friend Mara,” Luke introduced her, and Kara turned her large brown eyes to where Mara stood.

“Mara,” the young child said. “Hewo.”

Mara wasn’t sure how to react - she had little experience with children. Still, she knew enough to force a smile at the young child, and that seemed adequate for the moment.

“It’s nice to meet you, Mara,” Oren said genially. “My wife tells me that she keeps trying to coerce you into going to her society events but you always have other commitments.”

“Ah, yes, Jedi training,” Luke covered for her. “It’s very time consuming.”

“You’re still a bad liar, Luke,” Oren laughed. “But I don’t blame you, Mara, I wouldn’t go to those things either. But Sidel is determined to ensnare you, so watch out. She’s around here somewhere.”

Great, Mara thought to herself. She didn’t dislike Sidel, far from it, but she didn’t want to be drawn into Coruscant society when she had so many other things on her mind. Yet the young woman was relentless, as if she and Organa had formed some kind of conspiracy to draw her into their acquaintance.

“I think Kara might be Force sensitive, Luke,” Oren changed the subject, as the young girl looked at them with large dark eyes. “She started crying the other day, wanting her Ewok toy, and I swear it moved of its own accord.”

“Oh?” Luke seemed intrigued. “Why don’t you bring her by the Temple tomorrow? I can do some tests, and I have some...plans you may be interested in.”

“Great,” Oren smiled.

“Daddy, dance wiv me,” Kara demanded, tugging on her father’s collar.

Oren laughed and hiked Kara up further on his hip. “Alright, darling,” he said. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Luke.” He nodded to them. “Mara, stay strong,” he winked at her, and then twirled away with Kara onto the dance floor.

Luke’s gaze followed the pair wistfully, and Mara was surprised by the intensity of his longing. She’d certainly never picked up on that before, although she was aware that he was very much looking forward to becoming an uncle. But Mara had never before considered that Luke may wish to marry someday, and continue his family line. In fact, in the six months she’d known him he’d had the lifestyle akin to that of a monk, or at least as far as she was aware. She didn't even know of he was interested in that sort of thing.

Except...there was that Twi’lek which had interviewed him a few months ago. The next day Mara had commented that she hoped the woman hadn't grilled him too hard, and he’d stammered and blushed and was very quick to begin the training session.

For a moment she watched Luke as he watched the people on the dance floor - Wedge and Iella wrapped up in each other, Oren twirling his little girl around the floor, a Corellian she’d been introduced to earlier by the name of Corran Horn and his girlfriend Mirax. Luke looked rather wistful, and Mara studied the lines of his face. Shada had once called him good-looking, and objectively Mara could not disagree that Luke Skywalker was a handsome man.

But Mara pushed those thoughts quickly aside - what was she thinking? It was Skywalker, for kriff’s sake. Preachy, overbearing, farmboy Luke Skywalker. Polished boots, combed hair and a fashionable outfit did not change that.

“Would you like to dance, Mara?” Luke turned back to her and held out his hand. “It seems foolish just to stand here.”

Mara smiled wryly. “You’d rather make a fool of yourself out there?” But he took his hand and allowed him to lead her to the dance floor, if only to prove to herself that it meant nothing.

“I might surprise you, Mara,” Luke said as they began to move in time with the music.

“Your sister teach you how to dance?” she enquired as he spun her gently around the floor in time with the other couples.

“My Aunt Beru,” he told her wistfully.

“You’re good,” she said, impressed by his performance of the intricate steps the dance required.

He gave her a winning smile. “You see?”

“It was a fair assumption,” she told him without shame.

“Well, fundamentally dancing isn’t that much different from fighting,” he observed. "And you've helped me with that."

She cocked her head to one side. “I suppose.”

His hands were warm on her back, and Mara felt a small flutter inside of herself. She dismissed it as the wine kicking in, and yet with the nearness of him that sudden spark was proving hard to extinguish.

“I’m glad you came tonight, Mara,” Luke said softly, and as the music slowed he drew her closer to him to accommodate the more sedate pace of the dance. “Not just as my student, or training partner, but as my friend. I want you to be involved in my life.”

She looked up at him and her mouth felt dry. “Even if it’s only for a short while?”

The corners of his eyes crinkled as he smiled. “I would hope that even if - when - you finish your training and leave, you won’t forget about me.”

“How could I ever forget you, Skywalker,” she said dryly. “Even when I’m dead I’ll still be hearing you bleat about Force drills in my head.”

His answering laugh was light and carefree, and yet despite that she felt his hand squeeze hers a bit tighter, his other hand splayed across her back press against her more firmly.

“Well doesn’t that make a pretty picture.”

Leia followed Han’s gaze to where Luke and Mara were dancing and laughing quietly together.

“What makes you say that?” she asked evenly. “Just because she’s training with him doesn’t mean that she likes him.”

“Oh, I think he annoys the shavit out of her,” Han conceded, and then laughed. “They’re perfect for each other.”

Leia couldn’t disagree, on seeing the sparkle in her brother’s eyes or on feeling the leap in his heart whenever Mara was around. She liked Mara, but Leia was eminently practical. “I wouldn’t print the wedding invitations just yet, Han,” Leia warned him. “Sometimes love takes time. It isn’t as easy for everyone as it was for you and me.”

Han chuckled. “I don’t remember it being particularly easy, sweetheart."

“The love was easy,” she told him. “Admitting it the difficult part, I admit.” She rubbed her swollen belly, feeling her baby boy move inside of her pleasantly. Anxious for peace and quiet, she’d decided not to let the wider populace know of her pregnancy. It was nice to be around friends for once and not have to conceal her ever growing abdomen, and was thankful that Wedge had banned attendance from the holopress.

“Well, as I always say, never tell anyone you love them unless one of you is on the brink of death,” Han drawled.

Leia laughed. “When have you ever said that?”

“Eh, it’s implied.”

“Hmmm.” Leia rubbed her belly again and looked over at Mara, wondering if she should try and approach her again that night.

“You may as well give up, Leia,” Han advised, putting a lazy arm around her shoulders and kissing her cheek. “She doesn’t want to be your friend.”

Leia shook her head, refusing to accept defeat. “She’s just cautious. I understand that.”

Han’s gaze drifted back to Luke and Mara. “She certainly seems more disposed to your brother, though,” he added with a sly smile. “You can sense what Luke’s feeling,” Han continued. “Is he in love? Certainly looks like it to me.”

“No, not yet,” Leia surmised, although from the way her brother was smiling at Mara she could see why Han had said so. Luke loved everyone, of course, he had that boundless compassion which had made him reach out to Mara Jade in the first place, that made him continue to reach out to her despite the walls she constantly erected. She could sense that her brother liked Mara very much, but that his feelings were not fully developed yet. Leia doubted if he even knew his own mind on the matter.

“He’s on the edge, I think,” she continued. “Maybe they both are. But don’t push, Han,” she warned him. “Let them find their own way.”

29 NRE

Jaina, Zeb and Kyp Durron sat in one of the private back rooms of the Red Rancor, the kind usually reserved for drug deals and gang meetings. Kyp had mind tricked the bartender into letting them use it, and all three of them were disguised as lower-levellers. Zeb sat at the table mildly drinking a pint of ale, while Jaina hovered around the closed door anxiously and Kyp lounged against the back wall.

“When did you say they would get here?” the Jedi asked.

“2100 hours,” Jaina confirmed. Zeb checked his chrono and saw that they still had another half hour to go. It wasn’t Zeb and Jaina’s first meeting with Quix and Petar since Syal had convinced them to become assets of NRI, but it was the first time Kyp had joined them. Jaina had told him everything they had gleaned about the Zabrak pair and their Dark Lady, but he’d insisted on meeting their spies himself. Zeb would have much preferred Mara accompany them if it had to be a Jedi Master, but she was preoccupied with running the Order while Luke was offworld, so they were stuck with Durron.

“I still think this is a bad idea,” Zeb shook his head and sullenly took a gulp of his ale. “As soon as they see Durron they’re going to bolt.”

“So we catch them,” Kyp shrugged.

“And ruin what little goodwill we have left with them? They’re criminals - they don’t like Jedi,’ Zeb insisted. “The only reason they’re talking to Jaina is because I’ve vouched for her.”

“Well to be honest Zeb, I’m not too concerned with hurting their feelings,” Kyp said with barely concealed arrogance. “We’ve got a job to do, and I intend to do it.”

“I know we do, and Jaina and I were managing fine before you came along,” Zeb insisted, standing and advancing on Durron. Who did this puffed up Jedi think he was, anyway? “These guys grew up on the streets, they just don’t think about things the same way you do. They do what they can to survive.”

“Hey, I had a rough childhood, too,” Kyp said dismissively. “But I got out and made something of myself without blaming my circumstances.”

“So did I, but we both had help - or are you so full of yourself you can’t remember?” Zeb countered, Durron making him angrier by the second. Just because almost thirty years had passed since Durron had been pulled from the gutter didn’t make it any less the truth - if not for Han Solo and Chewbacca, Kyp would probably still be in the service of the Hutts, and if not for Luke Skywalker’s mercy he might be in prison, not sitting on the Jedi Master’s Council.

Durron’s black eyes narrowed and a muscle in his jaw twitched. “I remember where I come from, Pavish,” he said, his voice low and dangerous. “I don’t have any desire to return there. But here you are, walking your old streets and hanging out with your scum friends. You seem to be enjoying it a bit too much.”

“Master Durron-” Jaina tried to intercede but Zeb waved her away.

“You think I might be tempted back into the gang?” he asked with a cold smile. “At least I’m not in danger of letting a dark spirit take over my body and almost blowing up an entire star system.”

“Zeb!” Jaina’s hand held his arm in a vice grip of warning. “That’s enough.”

But Kyp Durron merely began to laugh, a hollow sound which echoed throughout the small room. He straightened, drawing himself up to his full height, but Zeb wasn’t intimidated. The two men eyed each other for several seconds, and Zeb saw Durron’s hand fall casually to his side, to where Zeb knew his lightsaber was concealed beneath the tattered robes.

“Master Durron, why don’t you go back into the bar area,” Jaina suggested. “When they get here I’ll turn on my comm so you can hear everything, but Quix and Petar will think it’s just a normal meeting.”

Durron broke eye contact first, glancing at Jaina and inclining his head in acquiescence. Then he stalked out of the room without another word, and Zeb went sullenly back to sit at the table, drowning the rest of his ale. When he’d finished Zeb banged the glass back on the table with a little more force than intended.

“So that’s the guy you had a crush on?” he said spitefully.

Jaina gave him a hard look and sat down beside him. “You want to talk about this now?”

Zeb shrugged. “I just don’t see it. He’s a right prat.”

“Who cares what he is,” Jaina replied, this time putting her hand on his leg and squeezing gently. “I don’t like him getting involved in our mission either, but antagonising him isn’t going to make him back off.”

Zeb sighed heavily, knowing she was right.

“Besides,” Jaina said with a sly smile and squeezed his leg again. “I have a crush on you now.” Then she leaned in and kissed him full on the mouth. Zeb felt his annoyance and jealousy melt away, lifting one hands to run through her hair and pull her closer to him. Jaina kissed him possessively, aggressively, as if she was claiming him and Zeb was more than happy to reciprocate. They were so wrapped up in each other than neither heard the door slide open again.

“Ohhhhh!” A familiar voice came from the doorway. “Looky what we have here.”

Zeb pulled back to see Quix and Petar enter the room as the door slid closed behind them. Jaina, breathing heavily, blushed and looked down at her hands, but Zeb kept his gaze on the pair, determined to seem unruffled

“You’re early,” Jaina said softly, her cheeks red.

“It always pays to act unexpectedly,” Quix’s grin made him appear even more feline than normal. “Didn’t they teach you that in Jedi school, dearie?” He looked around the room again. “Blondie not here?”

“Are you complaining?” Zeb asked tersely.

“Course not, bruv,” Quix said, and took a seat across the table from him. “Just curious is all.”

“Curious as to how you’re going to get your creds,” Zeb suggested lightly, retrieving a small pouch from his jacket and placing it on the table between them. “Don’t worry, I brought them.”

Petar took the pouch and pocketed it without bothering to count the credits to make sure they hadn’t been short-changed. Zeb knew that it was a sign of trust, and felt even more guilty about the Durron situation. Quix and Petar were playing a dangerous game, and even though they were being well compensated for it, Zeb worried for their safety, especially since they still didn’t know who was pulling the strings or what their plans were.

Jaina jumped slightly beside him and then put her hands under the table to conceal the movement of her turning on her wrist comm. Durron must have nudged her through the Force, and Zeb forced himself to turn his attention back to Quix and Petar, squashing the sudden urge to run down the hallway and punch the Jedi Master in the face.

“So what have you got for us today?” Jaina asked lightly.

“Straight down to business, huh?” Quix grinned at her. “I like that, and from what we saw from the doorway, I think your boy here likes it too.”

To her credit, Jaina simply stared back at Quix, unruffled. Clearly she’d gotten over her embarrassment of earlier. “Did you get anything from the smugglers the Zabrak recruited?”

“They’re being unusually tight lipped,” Petar spoke up from his position at Quix’s shoulder, his arms folded over his chest. “No one is inclined to talk.”

Jaina waved her hand as if brushing away a fly, and Zeb wondered if Durron was sending her a message through the Force. “So do you have anything of use?”

“Of course!” Quix grinned. “Why else would we arrange a meeting? It ain't to stare at your pretty face, luv.”

Petar withdrew a small disc from his pocket and threw it on the table. “How about that, Jedi?” he said somewhat smugly. “I think we deserve a bonus.”

“What is it?” Jaina asked as she picked up the disc and twirled it between her fingers in examination. Then she yelped in pain, jumping to her feet and throwing the disc back on the table.

“Jaina?” Zeb rose as well, grasping her arm. “What have you done?” he demanded angrily.

But both Quix and Petar looked as shocked as Zeb. “Nothing!" Petar said, his eyes wide and his head shaking emphatically. “I swear.”

Jaina had her injured hand clutched against her chest. “I’m fine,” she said, nodding at Zeb. “I’m fine,” she added in a louder tone for the benefit of Durron through the comm. “I felt...the dark side.”

Zeb gingerly reached for the disc and picked it up. It made him feel slightly queasy, but had no other adverse affect. He examined it closely, the metal cold and unfamiliar in his palm. It was about the size of a datadisc and was nondescript.

“That there’s what the young’uns were handin’ out,” Quix explained. “I managed to lift this one from a Gammorean and replace it with a fake."

"So if the Zabrak or this Dark Lady contacts them using this, we should see the message too," Zeb nodded and carefully put the disc in his pocket.

“I should think so,” Quix shrugged. “Now...about that bonus…”

Jaina gave him a hard look. “I’d hardly call this beyond your purview,” she said. “Tell us about one of your secret routes off-planet, and maybe we can talk bonus.”

Petar eyed her with a sardonic smile. “I don’t think so, Jedi.”

“Yeah, what if we show you and you try to put us in the clink for smugglin'?” Quix added, his long tail twisting about uneasily. “Instead of a bonus we have to work off a debt.”

Jaina looked shocked, surprised that anyone would doubt her motives. “You can trust me.”

“Right,” Petar was still smiling, but it became cold. “Like when you promised you wouldn’t bring any other Jedi down here? I know that creep outside is one of yours.”

To her credit, Jaina’s expression didn’t change, but Zeb knew the jig was up. “Well, Durron, you better come in,” he said with resignation. It was less than a second later that the Jedi Master strode into the room, unlit lightsaber in hand. Evidently he hadn’t waited for Zeb’s invitation.

“Well who is this tall drink o’ water,” Quix said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“I’m Jedi Master Kyp Durron,” he announced with thinly concealed arrogance.

Quix made a disgruntled face. “Never heard of ya.”

Zeb concealed a smiled behind his palm as Durron scowled.

“Here to take us in, Master Durron?” Petar asked, and shot Zeb a look of utter contempt. Zeb’s smile faded immediately and guilt laced through him.

“It’s not like that,” Zeb said emphatically. “Durron’s working the case with us.”

“We don’t like Jedi,” Quix practically growled, the fur of his back rippling slightly in agitation. “We made an exception for your girlfriend-”

“Hey, I’m not his girlfriend,” Jaina interjected.

“Oh, well excuse me, luv,” Quix shot back, his claws tapping against his blaster holster.

“Yes, clearly the most pressing thing at the moment is defining your relationship status, Padawan Solo,” Durron glared at her, his finger itching against the switch on his lightsaber hilt.

Ignoring Jaina’s confusing comment, Zeb stepped between the two. “Everyone calm down,” he said. “I know we broke our agreement,” he told Petar and Quix calmly. “I’m sorry about that.”

“We still need your help,” Jaina added. “Master Durron’s been tasked with tracking down the Dark Lady.”

Petar scratched the side of his neck and sighed. “We don’t know where she is.”

“But you know who does.” Kyp clipped his lightsaber back onto his belt and folded his arms. “And where they are.”

Quix and Petar shared a long look. “The Trileen District,” Quix told them with some reluctance.

“Whose patch is that now?” Zeb asked. He’d been out of the game so long he wasn’t sure how the gangland territories were situated.

The look Quix gave him was full of so much sorrow and pity that Zeb knew in an instant why they had been so reluctant to give anything other than the barest of information. They’d been trying to protect him.

“The Denizens of Chaos.” Zeb ran a hand over his eyes tiredly, wanting to avoid Jaina’s gaze. But then he felt her warm arm gently squeeze his bicep.

“Your old gang?” she asked, and Zeb nodded mutely.

Durron snorted. “What a complete surprise.”

Quix snarled at Durron, and then turned back to Jaina. “I’ll say this you you, luv, since I’m sure these two won’t listen. You stay away from the Denizens, eh? They’re not to be crossed.” He stepped forward and placed a claw hesitantly on Zeb’s shoulder. “We can’t help you no more, bruv. You...take care.”

Zeb swallowed heavily, unsure of what to say. Petar gave him a nod and then followed Quix towards the door. Blocking the exit however was Durron, his face stony. He stared at Quix for several long moments, and then exhaled harshly and stepped aside.

Jaina squeezed his arm again, but Zeb said nothing, feeling numb as he watched Quix walk out of his life again.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, the flashback! The banter and the on-the-brinkness of Luke/Mara. [face_love] [face_love]

~!

Then the right now stuff. Love the intrigue and the tension - very realistic and natural that Zeb old "friends" would back off if the dominant gang down there is running things. Self-preservation and all that. Got tickled by all the Zeb/Jaina/Kyp interaction and tension. :)

Looks like Jaina has made up her mind (hopefully) about Zeb and her. [face_thinking]

Gemma and JadeLotus like this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wonderful update! =D=

Gemma and JadeLotus like this.
  10. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    SPEAK NOT OF EVIL TUMBLR META. [face_laugh][face_mischief][face_laugh]:_|

JadeLotus likes this.
  11. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thank you! I do love writing Luke and Mara in denial about each other :p Quix is protective of Zeb and didn't want him to get involved in the goings on down in the lower levels - but if he's persistent that self-preservation kicks in even more and he's going to high tail it out of there - he knows that Jaina's his priority now.

Things have progressed between Jaina and Zeb but things are still new between them, and with Kyp being a bit of a douche Zeb isn't too happy that Jaina once had a crush on him ;)

Thank you!

[face_devil] Actually, to be honest...

...I wouldn't be that upset if Han died in Episode VII. It would be sad, but he'd be my pick out of the big 3 if one of them had to go. It would make more sense narratively than Luke or Leia, and you know...Harrison.

Which is not to be taken as any kind of hint as to Han's ultimate fate in this fic ;)

As a prize for the Fanfic Awards I received a character sketch from the wonderful Kahara who was lovely enough to draw two of my OCs, the Zabraks Whit and Toula. She did a wonderful job bring them to life in an action pose as well as individual character sketches. They look great - thanks Kahara!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot and here I thought Kahara was just a detail guru =D= =D=

13. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Thanks and you're welcome re: the pictures, JadeLotus. :D

I am still way behind, but am going to comment anyway. ;)

Ch 24

Ooh, I love the tie-in to Turn Your Face to the Sun. And yes, even here we have the reminder of how lonely his later life was.

:p Mara's reaction to this information is kind of priceless, and I'm amused at the picture it paints of Obi-Wan. From the perspective of readers, we know there's more to it, but it does look unflattering regarding the Old Republic Jedi. And there's something to that.

Oh, ouch. :( So many things are a bit happier in this 'verse, but it really brings out the consequences of their decision to tell no one as well. Both on the personal level, and in the danger it might pose (as we see later.) There's less closure for all those old wounds.

Something that I think we've all wondered about when re-watching ANH! What would they have done if fate had not intervened? [face_thinking] "Nothing" wasn't going to work forever.

[face_love] This is just beautiful! Even though it's heartbreaking at the same time, and because it is.

For some reason, I liked this moment. It's a nice tie-back to Luke's past, showing how much things have changed even as Tatooine remains more or less the same.

Oh, Luke. :( I like how it's hard to tell if this is Luke being Luke (and thus taking the weight of all the worlds on his shoulders) or just the fact that he's the mentor and has to protect his students. They're both probably in the motivation, a bit, and it worries me for his sake. We all know that Jedi Masters have a limited life span around Sith. [face_worried]

Wow! :eek: I love how this brings back the important locations for a very relevant reason. And keeping a chunk of Alderaan around... just wow. Eerie chills moment.

14. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    TYFTTS started because of this chapter, and I felt like it was important that Obi-Wan left Luke a personal legacy and insight onto his experiences.

Yes, in many ways Obi-Wan was a perfect Old Republic Jedi - he may have had strong feelings and potential attachments, but in the end his loyalty was to the Order, which made him a great soldier but perhaps not a fully rounded person. I liked the idea of stickler Obi-Wan not trying to hide his attachment to Satine, but reporting it and working hard to let that go, almost like one would confess a sin to a priest and do penance - which says a lot about the flaws in the old Jedi Order.

Luke wants to shout it from the rooftops, because he's proud that his father turned to the light in the end, and wants that acknowledged. But here he also realises the stigma of it and how heavy of a burden it would be to bear - I imagine he loved being compared to his father back before he knew the truth, for Rebel fighters to tell him stories about Anakin Skywalker, the Hero With No Fear, and be so proud and happy when told how he was like him. But at this point in his life, he wants to be seen as his own man instead.

It's a very vague plan (probably stymied by Owen) - this is something I hope to explore in Turn!

Both! Even as a fifty-something Jedi Master, he's still reckless ;) He sees himself as someone who has done his duty to restore the Jedi, and accordingly it is more important to protect the next generation, and particularly Kara since he knows the Sith have an interest in her.

Thank you!

Chapter 28

1 NRE

Luke had chosen one of the outer courtyards of the Jedi Temple for the gathering that day. The gardeners had just finished, and the area was surrounded by leafy ferns which gave the place a calming atmosphere. Several large meditation stones stood in the area, and this was were most of his guests were gathered, with Luke standing before them and running his speech over and over in his mind.

Sidel and Oren Ravenok had indeed come with their daughter Kara in tow. There was also the five year old Eren Pax he’d found in his travels to the world Utapau, and she was accompanied by a native Pau’an from her tribe, Ullali. The orphan Kyp Durron, a human boy of ten Han and Chewie had freed from slavery during their military efforts on Kessel, was also in attendance. Then there was Hera Syndulla, a Twi’lek he’d been acquainted with during the Rebellion, and her eight year old son Caleb.

Making up the rest of the assembly was a four year old Rodian boy Yollo, a female Mirialan of age six called Arwin, and Meghren, a Nautolan girl of five, all accompanied by their parents. He was also grateful to see that Leia and Han were there as well for moral support, and he secretly hoped as a sign of trust and solidarity concerning their own unborn child.

Following his interview with Nabrina’vida being broadcast repeatedly on the holonet, he’d been inundated with requests from parents to test their children for Force sensitivity. Those present that day were those he’d had time to seek out on Coruscant or remembered from his travels, and he planned to do more tests and research trips in the next few months. He’d even spoken at length with Corran Horn at Wedge’s wedding, pleased to discover that Corran’s father had once been a Jedi and he’d learned a few things as a boy. Admiral Ackbar had also been pestering Luke to visit his niece Cilghal on Mon Cal, who he was certain was Force sensitive. But they were adults who would require one on one training, which Luke was not yet ready to provide - those in attendance that day were the children he hoped would become his first class of younglings.

“Thank you all for coming,” he greeted the assembled group, his hands behind his back and his voice clear and decisive. “As you may be aware, I was tasked by my Jedi Master, the great and wise Yoda, to pass on what I had learned. I took this to mean the reconstruction of the Jedi Order.”

He gestured to Mara, seated on a stone to his right. “Many of you know Mara Jade,” he continued, and she gave them a thin smile and a kind of half-salute. “I am currently training her to become a Jedi, and when her training is complete I will take on another apprentice. This was the way of the Jedi of old, and I agree with it. To complete Jedi training it is essential to have one on one instruction with a master. And yet it was also the way of the Jedi to instruct younglings in the ways of the Force from childhood, to teach them the fundamentals until they were ready to become padawan learners.”

“Under the Old Republic, the Jedi younglings came to live at the Temple from a young age, so that they could immerse themselves in the Jedi ways.” He noticed that a few of the assembled group began to look uneasy, and Sidel Ravenlok even hugged her daughter a little closer to herself. Leia rubbed her swollen belly protectively.

“That is not a tradition I intend to follow,” he said, to the visible relief of his guests. “To be a Jedi is only one facet of a person’s life, and while I hope that the Order becomes the family of anyone it teaches, I believe it is important for the students to be with their own kin as well.” He saw Kyp Durron look down at his hands, and Luke resolved to talk to the boy later.

“Therefore I propose to hold training sessions here at the Temple,” he continued. “Perhaps once a month at first, but increasing in frequency as our numbers grow. Over the next several years I plan to have trained several older apprentices to knighthood, who will in turn teach others. Hopefully by the time these children here are thirteen, we will have set up the Academy for full time study. Then when a youngling is sixteen, they will be assigned a Master for one on one instruction.”

He surveyed the reaction of the crowd, Han giving him an encouraging smile; Hera gave a serious but supportive nod.

“Master Skywalker,” the Pau’un spoke up in a grave and dignified voice. “The Jedi of the Old Order trained padawans for many years before they were bestowed with Knighthood. You yourself are only a Jedi Knight of two and a half years standing. Is this approach not foolhardy?”

Luke nodded. “I don’t disagree with you, Ullali. I am not yet a Jedi Master myself, so how can I presume to teach others?”

Ullali inclined his grey head slightly in deference. “I do not mean to disparage you, Master Skywalker,” he said, and Luke noted that even though he had corrected the Pau’un’s misuse of the term 'Master,' Ullali continued to use it. It seemed that no matter how many times Luke shied away from formal titles, others continued to cling to them.

“No, you are right to question me,” Luke responded. Although Ullali was not Force sensitive, he’d spoken at length with him when Luke had visited Utapau tracing Obi-Wan’s final mission of the Clone Wars. Ullali was one of the Ancient Ones, and not only had he lived through many decades of the Old Republic, he’d met several Jedi in his life. He and Luke had talked for hours about the Old Order, the Force and Pau’un philosophy, and Luke greatly respected his opinion.

“I gave the matter a great deal of thought,” he continued, glancing over at Mara, who gave him a nod of encouragement. “I considered waiting until I had a full mastery of the Force before teaching others. But that could take several years yet - if ever. I suppose I could then take on a class of older apprentices and train them all at the same time, but I believe it is dangerous to break away from one on one instruction.” Luke had discussed the issue with Mara and his sister, and could only hope he was making the right choice.

“The New Republic is young, and she will need a strong Jedi Order to protect her in the years to come.” Luke looked over the small gathering and was glad to see he had their full attention - even the young children. “This means passing on my knowledge as soon as possible, and I truly believe that I will learn as much from my students in the ways of the Force as they will learn from me. I cannot rebuild the Jedi Order - we must do it together.”

Ullali put his hands gently on Eren’s shoulders and gave Luke an approving look. “You speak with a wisdom beyond your years, Master Skywalker,” he declared. “Eren and I will stay on Coruscant so she can attend your classes.”

Sidel Ravenlok hugged her daughter Kara and shared a warm look with her husband. “We will bring Kara as well,” she announced. The others in attendance soon joined in with enthusiasm, and then Luke took time with each of them privately to answer their questions and listen to their opinions. Eventually he came to Hera and her son, and saw that her eyes were bright with tears.

“That was a lovely speech, Luke,” she told him softly. “I wish Kanan was here to see this all happen.” She looked around the courtyard and although she was smiling, Luke felt her deep melancholy and grief.

“He is here, in a way,” Luke told her, and put his hand on young Caleb’s shoulder. “He is one with the Force now, but I am certain that he is watching over the both of you. And his strength in the Force runs through you, Caleb,” he addressed the young man, whose pale green lekku twitched slightly in sadness.

“I have his lightsaber,” Caleb spoke up, indicating the silver hilt he wore on his belt. Hera sighed deeply, but looked proud. “I always wear it.”

Luke squeezed Caleb’s shoulder gently. “Bring it to my class,” he said. “And I will teach you how to use it.”

29 NRE

Syal Antilles twirled a lock of blonde hair around one finger absently as Han filled her in on what Micah had told him. Usually, she was far more careful not to give away any habits, but Han was practically family. Besides, it helped her think.

“At least his cover is still active,” Syal said. “It makes things easier.”

Han sighed heavily. “To be honest Syal, I don’t think of any of this as easy.”

Syal couldn’t help but smile at Han’s obvious concern for his nephew. “Don’t worry, Han,” she reassured him. “Micah can take care of himself - he’s done it before.”

“Actually I was referring to the fact that the Human League have some slug on the inside,” Han retorted, drumming his hands on the conference table.

“Sure.” Syal picked up her datapad and began scrolling through the Corellian personnel files. “He didn’t have any clue on who it could be?”

Han shook his head and leaned back in his chair. “It has to be someone close to Sekel.”

Syal grimaced. Valaris Sekel was the current Governor of Corellia, the very same position Leia Organa had once held, although there was no evidence he was held in the same esteem as she once was.

“I met him when I was here before the attack,” Han continued. “Man’s a complete imbecile.”

According to Syal’s information, Han wasn’t that far off the mark. Sekel was a native Corellian from a highly influential family, and Syal gathered that was how he’d managed to get himself elected. She hadn’t been able to uncover any pro-human leanings, however, other than the early parole granted to Sal-Solo and the promised pardon if he reigned in the Human League.

“So what is Thrackan’s plan?” Syal mused half to herself as she scrolled through pages of government employee files. “Public opinion regarding the Human League is lower than ever since the bombing."

Han waved his hand. “All Thrackan probably cared about was getting out,” he said. “I doubt he’s thought beyond that.”

“Still, we need to find this Slice Hound, before he can exert any more influence over Sekel.”

“Chewie’s looking into it,” Han told her. “People tend to be less careful about what they say when he’s around - as if they think the fact he can’t speak Basic means he can’t understand it either.”

Syal nodded, scanning her datapad but finding only generic information. “I’ve still got some friends in CorSec,” she said absently. “They may have a better idea of who the spy could be, because this intel is useless.” She closed down the datapad and sighed. “Your Star Destroyer’s still in orbit, right?”

“The Nonsense? Yeah.” Han eyed her, his face cracking into a lopsided grin. “You after one of their X-Wings?”

Syal’s personal ship had been undergoing maintenance when they’d left Coruscant, so she’d come with Han in the Falcon. She didn’t mind the freighter, but it felt far too large around her. Syal liked to be enclosed in the cockpit of her blue-winged X-53 fighter with nothing but the stars around her and in complete control of the vessel. She wasn’t cut out to be a co-pilot or a passenger, and had felt out of place and useless in Han’s ship.

“Am I that transparent?” she asked with a sheepish smile.

“Nah,” Han waved a hand again. “I just know the look is all. All us pilots get it - your father, your Uncle Luke, and me.” Han pointed at himself with his thumb. “Jaina, too," he added after consideration. "People say the Force runs strong through a family, and I guess with all that I’ve seen I have to accept that. But so does a love of flying, and you can’t ignore it, or run from it. You have to surrender to it or you’ll go mad.”

Syal couldn’t disagree - she missed flying with Rogue Squadron more than anything else. She was still officially a member, but her duties with NRI meant she could not devote much time to their missions. She and Jaina Solo were more like backup pilots, their assistance never refused but nor were they part of the regular squad.

“Do you think Commander Allien will let me use one of theirs?” Syal asked.

“I’m sure they have one,” Han answered. “They’ve got a couple of squadrons on board. I’ll comm her.”

“Thanks, Han.”

“Don’t mention it." Han rose and buttoned up the top button of his dress uniform, then tugged on it with discomfort. “I’ve got to go meet with Sekel now, but I’ll comm Allien on the way. If you happen to come up with a game plan for this mess while you’re up there that would be great.”

“I’ll try,” Syal smiled and watched Han leave the room. Then she sat back in her chair and lifted up her knees, holding her legs against her chest to form a shelf for her chin. It was an old habit from childhood, when she and Ben used to hide in the ventilation shafts of the Jedi Temple and spy on the older classes and training sessions. Ben had been preoccupied with the Jedi even that young, but his parents would only let him attend the youngling classes and he’d been obsessed with finding out what the older students were learning. Syal had been curious as well although she herself was not Force sensitive, and it had been a fun to play at being an undercover agent like her mother Iella. But Ben had been lanky even as a boy and couldn’t always fit into tight spaces, so Syal had often soldiered on alone, with pride at her superior skills. If Ben having the Force had been an accident of birth, then so was her slight frame and flexible limbs allowing her to maneuver through small tunnels and walls. They each had advantages the other did not, which was what had always made them such a good team.

Only in childhood, though, she thought sadly, for time had pulled them in different directions, as it had pulled her away from Rogue Squadron and into the planet-bound duties of an NRI officer.

But Syal knew that her intelligence skills were of far more use to New Republic than her talent for flying, on this mission in particular. Coruscant aside, Syal knew Corellia better than any other planet in the galaxy. Both of her parents had been born there, and she’d made frequent visits when she was a child nor to mention on NRI assignments. Corellia was her heritage, and she wasn’t about to let some two-bit xenophobic pull it back into the Empire’s anti-alien policies.

Duty and service were all that she had left. Once, there had been happy, carefree times, tender embraces and long, complex discussions with the only boy she’d ever loved, but that was lost to her now. It had been Syal’s decision in the end, and she refused to regret it. But she remembered the way he used to pillow his head in her lap, and she would stroke his ginger hair while he looked up at her with clear eyes as blue as the lakes of Naboo where they had shared childhood summers. She remembered playful games growing into teenage exploration, of stolen kisses when they were able to get away from their parents’ watchful eyes; of hours spent in the flight simulators trying to best each other’s times, and the playful competitions continuing once they each got their own ships. She remembered the way he would look at her, whether it be from across a crowded room or in his passionate embrace, and feeling so cherished and loved it took her breath away.

But she also remembered bitter fights and prolonged silences, of long separations while on differing schedules. Both of them served the New Republic, and yet their missions seldom aligned and neither of them were willing to refuse their own assignment simply to accompany the other on theirs.

She loved Ben Skywalker, and Syal knew that she would always love him. But in the grand scheme of things, that meant little. It didn’t stop him from being righteous and self-burdened about his Jedi heritage, and it didn’t stop her refusal to accept anything less than his full devotion. It didn’t stop that lingering doubt in the back of her mind that she would never be a Jedi, and therefore would never have what his parents had with each other; that her skills, talents and duties would always be seen as lesser and therefore their relationship unbalanced. He had never voiced such opinions, and if asked he would likely swear on his soul that it was not the case, but Syal could not shake such doubts.

In the end, he had not fought for her, and that had made things clear enough.

But she still had her memories, which she kept in the secret part of her heart. Where they would be secure and undefiled, to be taken out occasionally in tender reminiscence, but otherwise buried deep and safe where only she could find them.

The hallways of Coronet House were practically empty, save for the Corsec agents at every corner, looking militant and alert. But Han walked through unmolested, for most either remembered him from the days when it had been his and Leia’s primary residence, or otherwise recognised his uniform identifying him as a New Republic General.

Han soon reached the Governor’s private office and after signing in with Sekel's secretary and making chit-chat with the Corsec officers on duty, went inside. Han made a mental note to talk with the Corsec officers in greater detail later, although most were the same men and women who’d served him ten years earlier. Han trusted them with his life and would not entertain the notion that they were Human League spies.

Sekel’s personal bodyguard Manel Wain, on the other hand, Han didn’t know and had no reason to trust. He was a pale-skinned man, blonde-haired and apparently acquainted with Sekel’s family, which was how he’d gotten the position. He’d been Sekel’s bodyguard when the Governor had been Minister for Agriculture and unlike the rest of his security team, was not affiliated with Corsec.

Wain stood against the back wall of Sekel’s office, and Han nodded to him as he entered. The man gave him a curt nod back, and Han turned his attention to the other occupants of the room; Sekel himself, fair, portly and balding, and a brown-furred Selonian, who turned and rose as he made his way further into the room.

“Honoured Solo!” the Selonian exclaimed, her gleaming pointed teeth revealed as she smiled. “Oh, Honoured Solo, is that really you?”

Han peered at the Selonian as recognition flooded him. “Dracmus?”

“Yes, it is I,” Dracmus scurried over to him happily. He’d first met the Selonian during the Corellian Crisis sixteen years earlier, when she had helped him escape the Human League’s clutches. “I am Den Mother of Selonia now,” Dracmus said proudly. “I speak for all of my sisters.”

“Well, that’s great, Dracmus,” Han congratulated her. The Dracmus he remembered had been a fierce warrior and yet also a bit of a ditherer, and he hoped she’d improved her decision-making skills. Or perhaps decision making on Selonia was of less importance than for humans. Selonians did not quite have a hive mind, but were prone to groupthink. Dracmus had once described the seven hundred sisters in her own family clan to be closer than human relations, but not quite so close as the cells in ones body. Han still had trouble wrapping his mind around that metaphor.

“What brings you to Corellia?” Han asked. Although all part of the same system, Corellia, Selonia, Drall and the Double Worlds were all self-governing and zealously guarded their territory. The only neutral part of the system was Centerpoint Station, and it was usually there that the heads of state for each world met one another. When Han had been on Corellia for inter-system negotiations earlier, each planet had sent a minor minister to meet with himself and Sekel. It must be a matter of some importance for Dracmus to herself journey to Corellia and attend them at Coronet House.

“We were just explaining our disappointment to Governor Sekel about the release of the criminal Thrackan Sal-Solo,” Dracmus said distastefully. “I said to him, does he not recall what kind of man this Sal-Solo is? A man who would dishonour and harm his own clan? He does not deserve the bearing of your name, Honoured Solo!”

From behind his desk, Sekel gave an oily smile. “And as I explained to Clan Leader Dracmus, Sal-Solo has already located the persons responsible for the bombing, and they are being processed for prosecution as we speak.”

That was news to Han, but it didn’t surprise him. Thrackan’s minions were dispensable, and they had evidently served their purpose. Dracmus looked similarly unhappy, and glanced towards the entrance to the room Han had walked through. He turned his head to see another occupant of the room he had not noticed before, a tall black-furred Selonian he assumed must be Dracmus’ bodyguard.

“I have to say, Sekel,” Han addressed the man carefully. “Thrackan doesn’t deserve the leniency you’ve shown him.” He watched Wain closely for see if he would give anything away, but the man remained impassive. “He tried to seize power once before, and he’ll do it again.”

Sekel laughed. “General Solo,” he said jovially. “You underestimate your own people - the only way your cousin could improve his standing here on Corellia is if the people vote him into office. He has done his government a service and for that he has received an appropriate reward, but the Human League are still a discredited organisation. They do not even have a seat in parliament!”

“Then why do you not simply ban the organisation?” Dracmus pressed. “They are already responsible for one attack on your own Capitol building at a time when Selonian representatives were in attendance. We fear for our Selonian brothers and sisters here on Corellia.”

“Honoured Dracmus, please believe we are doing all we can to manage the situation,” Sekel said a little too easily. “It is against our constitution to ban such organisations, and the rehabilitation of Sal-Solo proves that their opinions can be changed.”

Han looked at Sekel closely, declining to speak for the moment. Did he actually believe the tripe he was trying to sell, or did he have deeper motivations? What if he was not being influenced by a mole at all - what if Sekel himself was a Human League sympathiser? It would explain the pardon - Thrackan was as rehabilitated as Han’s left boot.

“You see, here is General Solo,” Sekel continued, indicating Han. “A New Republic representative to ensure peace and prosperity in the system. Do you not feel safer with him here and his Star Destroyer in orbit? No insurgent would dare try anything else.”

Dracmus looked sullen, although she softened when she looked at Han again. “I have much trust and respect for Honoured Solo,” she said somewhat begrudgingly. “I will remain on planet to continue discussions, if he would consent to attend.”

“Of course,” Han forced a smile and patted Dracmus’ arm. “I’m here to help.”

15. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Girl, you know how I love this, always. How exciting to see the first students in the flashback, with easter eggs and all. (Caleb Syndulla?! SPACE MARRIED! :D ) And I love the depth you've given to all the little side-plots. Each one is infused with intrigue and nice character moments (my heart weeps for Syal!). I can't wait to see how it all comes together! ;)

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh SQUEE! The speech in the flashback was terrific! Yay for Hera being there. :cool: Luke's procedural ideas for teaching sound balanced and sensible.

~!

Yeah, Thrackan is rehabilitated - not! :p Sekel is too oily and slimy for my tastes. [face_worried] I do like Dracmus. She seems straightforward and a good ally.

~!

Ouch, ouch! about Syal. Those bittersweet reflections of hers about Ben, :(
    Testament to the fact/reality that sometimes obtains where you're with the one you should be; but it's not the right time/place, and you don't have your priorities straight, and then by the time you realize you should've fought for the relationship... water under the bridge.

I am thinking also of a particular OTP of mine, and trying hard, hard not to! (Where all you have is duty and service and memories):_|

=D=

Gemma, JadeLotus and Kahara like this.
  17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Hera having a son named Caleb is RUDE. :( But I approve. ;)

ThreadSketch and JadeLotus like this.
  18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Flashback section: Ooh, I like this variation on forming the NJO; it's a very reasonable strategy that I don't believe I've seen elsewhere. Have one or two adult trainees and then the younger students who come in part-time until they're older and things are more established as well. Nice intro to this new youngling class too. I was intrigued by Eren's caretaker (I seem to remember the Pau'ans raised their kids as a group without noting parentage?) and his conversations with Luke, as well as young Kara and the appearance of little Caleb (gah, poor Hera without Kanan! :( But it's nice to see her and the youngling there.)

Present-day: It was good to see more of Syal and get her POV on what went wrong with her and Ben. Sounds like a mutual flub based on pride and fear. *sigh* And I'm very interested in just what is going on with Corellia. Definitely nobody is better off with Sal-Solo free -- not even his slimy allies. :rolleyes:

19. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Yeah! You updated. Gosh, I really am enjoying this story. So much is going on, it is hard to make specific comments. But you keep updating and I will keep reading. Well done!

JadeLotus, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm really enjoying the flashbacks. I mean i love the main story but I am really loving the Flashbacks.

21. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I'll start by apologizing that I haven't responded in .... eeep!.... months!! I knew grad school would be all consuming but didn't realize just how all consuming it would actually be. Annnnnyway, you know this is my head-canon, and it's perfect, and I love it, and you, and the bit with Syal just about tore my heart out. ^:)^ I'll say, as I always say, MOAR!!!! [:D]

22. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    i recently got into Game of Thrones and I noticed you use fancasted Rose Leslie as Young Mara Jade and it would've been cool for you to have mara say "you know nothing Luke Skywalker"

JadeLotus likes this.
  23. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I really enjoyed the time that Luke and Mara spent together at Wedge's wedding. Loved their clothes and adored it when Luke got her to dance with him.

24. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Ha, I am a secret supporter of Space Married (isn't everyone?) :p I realised belatedly that my Jedi Order was too human-centric, so the inclusion of a few different species in the first youngling class was an attempt to rectify that, and of course I had to include little Caleb, because I want Hera to have a bit of happiness even Kanan didn't survive.

Thank you! I always thought Luke stretched himself too thin in Legends, so wanted a more balanced approach in this universe.

I really liked Dracmus in the Corellian Trilogy, so loved including her here!

Very true - all too often people let pride get in the way of their own happiness. Ben and Syal truly love each other, but just couldn't make it work which is not uncommon despite the pain it causes.

[face_laugh] But of course!

Luke had a lot of mistakes of the Old Order to learn from, and being someone who knows how important family is, he would have just looked at the idea of taking young children away from their parents and indoctrinating them into the Jedi and been "NOPE." He was very gung ho in Legends and it backfired a bit, I think the better option is for him to train one on one and start teaching the younglings the basics at a sedate pace.

Yes, the Pau'an tribes consisted of native Pau'ans and mixed human/Pau'ans who live in close-knit social groups where specific parentage is unimportant and the children are all raised collectively by the tribe. Good memory!

Yep, those crazy Skywalker kids: making all the same mistakes in new ways :p And as for Corellia...all I will say is that it plays a big role in the events to come ;)

Thank you! I know there is a lot to take in, so I appreciate you reading! :)

Thanks! I'm much more comfortable writing the flashbacks, and really stretching myself with the main story which covers so many characters and storylines (although they are all going to converge, I promise!)

Thanks, gal! You're doing so well with grad school, but we miss you! [:D] I've really come to love Syal, despite (or perhaps because of) the heartbreak I've given her ;)

[face_laugh] Rose Leslie is my ideal Mara Jade for that time period - I'll keep that in mind! ;)

Thank you! I am a bit obsessed with Luke and Mara wearing gorgeous clothes :p They're getting closer.

Gemma, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Chapter 29

1 NRE

On the private beach of the Varykino villa on Naboo, Leia lay in the soft white sand as the warm summer winds drifted lightly over the waters to create soft waves which lapped at her feet. Leia felt at peace on the island, as close to tranquility as she had been able to find since leaving Alderaan. All too often Leia wished that she’d taken one last look at the snow-capped mountains, had swum once more in the deep blue seas and fixed everything of her homeworld into her memory. More than anything, Leia wished that she’d embraced her mother one last time and told her she loved her, rather than simply giving her a wave from the spaceport. She wished she’d kissed her father’s cheek and held him tightly, rather than dismissing his desire for her to be careful with a laugh and a light punch to the arm.

It had been a dangerous mission, but Leia had held then the arrogance and folly of youth, and the thought that she might not ever see her beloved parents or homeworld again had never crossed her mind. She made no such mistakes, now. Every time she left Han or Luke or Winter she would embrace them tightly and give them a firm “I love you.” Just in case.

“Leia?”

She heard Sola’s gentle voice call from the house, and Leia turned to see her aunt walking regally down the steps which led to the beach. Leia struggled to get up, her rounded belly making standing with grace or speed rather difficult. However Sola had floated to her side in moments, her strong hands helping Leia to stand and find purchase on the sand beneath her feet.

“My dear,” Sola cupped her face and smiled warmly. “How are you today?”

“Alright,” Leia replied, and rubbed her swollen belly absently. “He’s been very quiet this morning,” she said with some relief. Usually, her son was so active, spinning in her womb and punching out his little hands and feet as if he was already eager to join the world. At night she would lay in bed as Han rubbed pomegrail oil into her belly and whisper “Not yet, little one,” since there was still a month to go before the due date. Then Leia would sing Alderaanian lullabies and usually he would calm down enough to allow Leia to sleep.

“He has the Naberrie spirit,” Sola told her proudly, and helped Leia back up the stairs and into the house where the maid quickly brought them a pot of tea. Leia had already had a cup with breakfast, but was happy to share a pot as it had become her and Sola’s ritual. Content, she relaxed onto the chaise and smiled warmly at her aunt.

“I remember when Padmé was a little girl,” Sola added as she poured the tea. “She could never sit still, I was always trailing after her with something she’d forgotten - a shoe, a scarf or a hair clip.” She laughed lightly in reminiscence and handed Leia a teacup, made exactly to her taste with a dash of milk and two spoons of sugar. “She learned how to sit still, though,” Sola added somewhat sadly. “A Queen must have poise and grace, and never fidgets.”

“My mother used to say that to me,” Leia said softly. “Breha Organa, I mean,” she added quickly when Sola’s face betrayed a flicker of hurt. “I could never sit still, either.”

Sola abandoned her tea and came to sit beside Leia, taking her hands and squeezing them lightly. “Of course Breha was your mother,” Sola said, perhaps as much for her own benefit as Leia’s. “I’m sure Padmé would have wanted them to raise you, since she could not.”

Leia was touched by her aunt’s kindness. “Do you...wonder why they did not bring Luke and me here?” she asked.

Sola looked down at their joined hands and gave a slight sigh. “I suppose they thought it would be too dangerous,” she said slowly. “It was...difficult here on Naboo once the Empire reigned, and taking in two infants who were not my own may have raised suspicions, so close after Padmé’s death.” When Sola looked up again, her eyes were bright with tears. “I wish they had told us, though. Even just to know that you were alive - we would have stayed away, if that’s what they wanted. But I wish I had been able to look up in the sky these past years, and know that you were both out there, somewhere.”

Leia reached forward and embraced Sola, although she could not comfort the woman by saying that she wished the same. It was an impossible choice, and one Leia had decided not to dwell over any longer. The last twenty-five years were done and could not be altered, but the future was entirely in their own hands.

“I’m sorry to be so silly,” Sola said as she pulled away, dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief she retrieved from the fold of her dress. “I am grateful for the time we have together now. When does Luke arrive?”

“In two weeks,” Leia confirmed, grateful to move to other conversation.

“We must have a celebration when he gets here,” Sola said. “If I can tear Darred away from his fishing to help organise one, of course,” she added lightly, and Leia smiled. Sola’s husband had arrived at the villa early that morning intent on taking Han out on the waters. “You still need to meet the rest of the family, since your last visit was cut short.”

“Hopefully Luke doesn’t get himself kidnapped this time,” Leia joked.

“He should hope he does not,” Sola laughed. “Or he will have me to answer to.”

They drank their tea and chatted about Sola’s plans for the family reunion; apparently there were Naberries all over Naboo who were anxious to meet her and Luke. It was nice to be part of a family again, Leia decided; it had been so long since she could defer responsibility to another, and for her part Sola seemed intent on taking care of everything.

However as the day wore on Leia began to feel unwell. At first she simply thought it was the baby kicking, but when she pressed a hand to her stomach there was no movement. It started as simple unease; a slight nausea. But then it grew until Leia’s head felt light and her body heavy, and she knew something was seriously wrong. Leia struggled to stand as she felt something clawing at her insides, a sharp pinch spreading from her womb and into her blood.

“Leia?” Sola cupped her face in her hands, her uncontrollable fear seeping from her, intermingling with Leia’s own, amplifying it until she could feel nothing else but that and the pain.

“It’s the baby,” Leia said desperately, holding her belly as another slice of agony cut through her. It felt as if she was being torn in two as darkness fell about her like a shroud. “Get help…” was all she managed to gasp out before her entire world went black.

29 NRE

Luke and Ben walked up the familiar stone steps of the Naberrie house in Theed, and as always Luke felt his heart lighten. Naboo had become a second home to him, and he had so many fond memories of the house as well as the villa in the lake district. It had been too long since he’d visited, as his Aunt Sola had reminded him when he’d commed her.

The butler Tain let them into the house where Sola now lived alone. Darred had died three years earlier, and of course Luke’s grandparents were long gone. Whilst Pooja and her family resided on Coruscant where she served as the Senator for the Chommel sector, Ryoo still lived in Theed with her husband, as did their six children and four grandchildren. As such, Sola was rarely without company.

Except it seemed, that day, as when Luke and Ben were shown into the parlour Sola sat alone in her armchair. Even though she was in her mid-eighties, Sola’s posture was perfect, her hands resting lightly on the armrests of her chair as if she was a queen giving audience. And yet she did not seem to notice their entrance, as if her mind was far away.

“Hello, Auntie,” Luke crossed the room and bent down to kiss the old woman’s cheek. “It’s Luke.”

Sola’s face broke into a smile as she swatted at him. “I know it’s you, Luke,” she said. “My mind hasn’t gone yet.” Her eyes turned to her great-nephew, crinkling at the corners as she smiled. “And of course, Bennie.” She held out her arms, beckoning the young man closer, who grimaced at the nickname, but knelt down to give her a firm hug.

“It’s good to see you, Aunt Sola,” he said, kneeling by her chair as he had done since he was a boy. Ever since Luke had first visited the house thirty years earlier there had been an ever-replenished bowl of sweets on the caf table, and Ben reached for one without needing to look, unwrapping it and popping it in his mouth.

“You’ve gotten so tall,” Sola commented as she patted Ben’s head. “You must take after your grandfather, because heaven knows you didn’t get that height from your parents.”

“Sola, stop teasing,” Luke said gently through a smile as he settled himself on the chair next to her.

“What other joy does an old woman get out of life?” Sola asked back, stroking Ben’s hair softly. “Now, how long do I have with you boys before duty pulls you away?”

“We have an audience with Queen Nebulla this afternoon,” Luke said somewhat regretfully. “But we should be back by tonight.” They were of course staying in the house since Sola wouldn’t have accepted any alternative plans.

“Is there trouble, Luke?” Sola asked as she turned to him, for the first time sounding slightly uneasy.

Luke took one of her hands in both of his. “We’ve tracked two Sith here to Naboo,” he told her. “We think that they’ve been researching our family history - so I want you to be careful.”

“A Sith?” Sola asked, her earlier mirth dissolving into steely consideration. “I thought they’d been wiped out.”

“So did we,” Luke replied with a grimace.

“Well I’m sure the Queen will give you the support of the army,” Sola added, her mind as ever quickly turning to the matter at hand. “We do not forget that our beautiful world produced the evil that was Palpatine. We cannot allow another Sith to take hold here.”

“We won’t, Aunt Sola,” Ben said firmly. “We’ll stop them.”

“Master Horn came to see me when he first arrived,” Sola noted, patting Luke’s hand absently. “I was under the impression that he had not found anything.”

“The Sith only arrived on planet shortly before we did,” Luke said solemnly. “I’ve filled Corran in - he’s at the palace now meeting with the Queen’s security council.”

Sola sighed with resignation. “Then I should not delay you.”

“We can stay a few more minutes,” Luke said, loathe to leave the comfort of his Aunt’s house so soon. Or at least until the security detail he’d ordered for Sola’s protection arrived.

“Well then,” Sola’s countenance immediately brightened again. “Tell me, how is dear Jaina?” she asked. “Surely she must be a Jedi by now.”

Luke smiled. “Soon I think, Auntie,” he said. “But that decision rests with Mara.”

“You must bring all of the family here for Jaina’s knighting ceremony,” Sola insisted. “I don’t care to travel to Coruscant at my age and I refuse to miss it.”

“Of course, Sola,” Luke patted her hand. “I’m sure Jaina would like that.”

“Dear girl looks so much like Padmé,” Sola observed wistfully, and glanced at the large holo of her sister which hung above the mantlepiece. In the image Padme was not a Queen or a Senator, but perhaps the young woman Sola remembered, her hair unbound and her smile broad. Luke had spent many hours sitting in Sola’s parlour staring at the image, reflecting on the woman who had been his mother. The resemblance to both Leia and Jaina was undeniable, but Luke believed there was something of himself in Padmé’s smile.

Always, he remembered Leia’s words of her; beautiful, kind, sad. What a burden it must have been, Luke had mused long ago, to see the man she loved so dearly turn against her and everything she believed it. He’d meditated at length on the subject, trying to unlock a memory of her; a skill that had come so easily to Leia but Luke had always found difficult to master. Visions of the future came to him unbidden and frequently, although they often made little sense. But the past was as foreign and mysterious to him as an uncharted star system.

Eventually, his determination had borne fruit, although it was bitter to taste. He was able to bring to mind only a voice, soft and weak with pain. Obi-Wan...there is still good in him...there is still...

Luke tore his eyes away from the image and refocused his attention on Sola, who had been expressing her eagerness to see all of her grandchildren in the same room.

“It has been a long while since we had a family holo taken,” she pointed out. “And I have yet to meet young Zeb, who I hear has captured my dear Jaina’s heart.”

Luke’s eyebrows shot up in surprise, and Ben choked on the boiled sweet he was eating, coughing and spluttering on the floor as Sola patted his back firmly.

“What makes you say that?” Luke asked. He knew that Zeb and Jaina had become better friends in the last year and there had been some innocent flirting, but it was the first he’d heard of an actual romance.

“Both your wife and sister mentioned it,” Sola told him, absently running smooth circles on Ben’s back as he calmed down. “You know my dear Leia comms once a week, and I had a nice chat with Mara the other day as well.”

“Well, they would know,” Luke shrugged, a smile working its way onto his face. No one was better at ferreting out a secret than Leia and Mara.

“And you, young man,” Sola addressed Ben, pinching his cheek. “Your mother tells me you have been working entirely too hard.”

Ben ducked his head sheepishly, and his hair fell into his eyes. “I’m a Jedi now, Aunt Sola,” he replied. “I have to work hard if I’m going to be the first Jedi in history to become a Master by twenty-seven.”

“You almost became the first Jedi in history to die by choking on a sweetie,” Luke pointed out dryly.

“What a way to go through,” Ben replied, and popped another into his mouth. “My obituary could read: Ben Skywalker, Jedi Knight and Sweet Enthusiast. Sorely missed by confectionary companies.”

“It seems the only thing you’re not working hard on is your jokes,” Luke shot back with a smile.

“Boys, please,” Sola shot him a silencing look and then turned back to Ben. “I’m serious, my dear. Does being a Jedi means you are not allowed to do anything else?” she pressed. “I thought all of that nonsense was done away with.”

Luke smothered his broadening smile with one hand - Mara had been on the comm to Sola again about her wayward children. She’d been concerned about Ben since his estrangement from Syal Antilles, and had more than once complained that her son seemed to have taken after Luke in the tendency to throw himself into Jedi duties when he was upset. Luke had pointed out quite rationally that Mara was no stranger to internalising her feelings, and his wife had simply huffed and turned away. Clearly in Sola she’d found a more sympathetic ear.

“I...have responsibilities,” Ben tried to argue, his levity falling away. “I want to create a Jedi Starfighter Corps, and I have much more study to do to master Vapaad, and there’s this Sith threat...”

Sola ruffled Ben’s hair affectionately. “You can do all of that, dear one,” she said kindly. “But listen to your old Auntie when she says that duty alone never made anyone happy.”

Ben opened his mouth as if to respond, but was interrupted by Sola’s butler Tain appearing in the doorway.

“Madame Naberrie, you have another guest,” Tain said, and indicated a young dark-haired man in Jedi robes who entered the parlour behind him.

“Master Skywalker,” Zekk greeted him, and bowed. “You sent for me?”

“Ah, yes,” Luke rose from his seat and crossed the room to shake Zekk’s hand firmly. “Did you bring the troops?”

Zekk nodded. “Two forces of Theed security on loan from the palace - they’re outside setting up a perimeter.”

“Luke?” Sola asked, rising from her chair. “What is going on?”

Ben rose with her and put a hand on her shoulder. “They’re for your protection, Aunt Sola,” he told her.

“I will not be kept a prisoner in my own home,” Sola said firmly.

Luke returned to her side. “You won’t be, Auntie,” he told her in a tone that warranted no argument. “But Zekk will be here when Ben and I cannot be, just in case.”

Sola’s expression softened, and she took Luke’s hand to squeeze it firmly. She had never denied Luke anything he had ever asked of her. “If you insist, my darling.”

“I do.”

“Master Skywalker,” Zekk cut in. “Master Horn is waiting for you at the palace.”

Sola squeezed his hand again. “You both be careful.”

Luke smiled; he’d lost track of the number of times he’d been told that in the past few weeks. “I promise, Auntie,” he said, and kissed her cheek.

In the throne room of the Theed Royal Palace, Corran Horn gave every appearance of rapt attention as the Prime Minister of Naboo waxed poetic about the upcoming Unity Festival. In actuality Corran was carefully eyeing the gathered members of the Royal Court.

Queen Nebulla was seated in her throne behind the desk of state, her jet-black hair up in an elaborate braided style. Her light brown skin was visible through her finely-boned fingers peeking out from beneath the large purple sleeves of her dress, but her face was shielded by pale white makeup which succeeded in partially obscuring her expression. She was young, perhaps eighteen, but carried herself in a way that gave credence to the Naboo belief that youth was no hindrance to ability.
    To the Queen’s right was Boss Trell, an Otolla Gungan with tawny-coloured skin, pronounced ears and a long neck which leant her a regal aura. Although Theed was Nebulla's dominion, a seat was always given to the head of the Gungan High Council, and decisions regarding the planet were made in concert. War, Corran had often found, drew former enemies together, and while relations between the Gungans and humans of Naboo remained a tad strained, it was far more harmonious than it had been previously. Or so the history download had told him before he’d travelled to the planet, but he’d found no reason to doubt it authenticity now he had been on the world for some months.

There had been times in the past few weeks when Corran had doubted his insistence on staying even though he had uncovered no evidence of a threat. In truth he longed to return to his family on Coruscant, but knew that even if he was there, in all likelihood they would not be. His wife Mirax was exceedingly busy as head of the Smuggler’s Alliance, and his son Valin was probably still on his mission to Rodia. Of course his daughter Jysella was still a padawan and therefore kept planetside, and it would be a joy to see how much she was learning.

But Corran trusted in the Force and his own instincts which had told him that Naboo was where he was needed. It was with some treacherous relief that he’d been right, and that the Sith which had been discovered on Tatooine were now on Naboo. After months of fruitless searches, social functions and political events, Corran was itching for a fight.

“Master Horn,” Queen Nebulla spoke up, cutting off her minister’s speech. “Your presence honours us, but I understand your visit today is not to view our historical archives as before.”

“No,” Corran conceded. “Master Skywalker will arrive shortly and explain.”

There was a small rumbling of excitement between the gathered ministers, and Boss Trell’s translator spoke to her quietly. Only Nebulla and her handmaidens seated behind her did not react.

“We will be honoured to welcome Grand Master Skywalker,” Nebulla said, and although her expression did not change she seemed pleased. “I should have known he would be coming when Jedi Zekk requested a protective detail from our Security Chief for Madame Naberrie.”

Corran was impressed that the Queen would be aware of such small details, but he was saved from answering when an attendant announced Luke’s arrival. Corran smiled to himself as he watched the assembled group sit up straighter in their chairs and turn their faces towards the entrance. Queen Nebulla’s posture was already perfect and she did not move, and neither did Boss Trell, although Corran felt a spike of anticipation through the Force.

Corran had known Luke for almost thirty years, far too long to be intimidated by his friend’s presence. Yet it always amused him to see people meet the Jedi Grand Master for the first time, and Corran had to admit as Luke walked across the throne room towards them the sight was impressive. Although Luke was an unassuming man, shorter than the average and sporting a greying beard, his presence was undeniable. He shone brilliantly through the Force, so much so that it seemed perceptible even to those who did not have such abilities.

As a child Corran’s father had taught him some Jedi techniques and told him tales of his Jedi Master grandfather, but he’d never expected to become a Jedi himself. But when Wedge had first introduced Corran to Luke it had only taken a few minutes before he’d been convinced that he was a man he could follow into anything. Luke had a way of speaking which made someone feel as if they were actually being listened to, and cared about what they had to say.

“Greetings your Majesty,” Luke bowed deeply to Nebulla. "Most high Boss,” he bowed again to Trell. “Thank you for receiving me.”

“You honour us, Master Skywalker,” Nebulla said, inclining her head slightly.

“The honoured Boss Trell is happy to meet the great Jedi Master,” Trell’s translator spoke after the Boss had spoken in Gunganese.

“Please tell us about this new threat,” Nebulla entreated.

Corran listened to Luke explain, since he’d only spoken to him only briefly on the comm. The vague sense of foreboding Corran had felt on Naboo now made sense, when Luke explained that the Sith seemed to be tracking his family history. He would make a point to mediate later and see if the Force would reveal anything further to him.

“I expect that the Sith will soon make their presence known,” Luke was saying. “I recommend you put your security forces on high alert in case of disturbance. They may target civilians - I know that the Unity Parade is to begin your festivities, and that is likely why they chose this come of year to come.”

“Master Horn has already been working with the Theed Regulars,” Nebulla nodded to Corran. “Perhaps he can continue to advise them.”

“I would be happy to,” Corran said, secretly pleased. It would be nice to get back to his Corsec roots.

Luke, however, looked forlorn. “I must apologise for bringing such danger to your planet,” he said. “I am the reason that the Sith have returned to Naboo.”

Trell said something in Gunganese, her bulbous eyes fixed upon Luke, but strangely her translator did not speak. Clearly the words were for Luke alone, and due to his frequent visits to the planet over the years he appeared to be fluent, for he seemed to have no trouble understanding.

“Thank you, Boss Trell,” Luke smiled. “You are very kind.”

“This is not a fight between Jedi and Sith,” Nebulla said evenly. “But one between good and evil. We are all participants, Master Skywalker, and therefore we are all required to do what we must.”

Luke inclined his head. “Indeed.”