Saga The Shadow of Vader - A ROTS AU - The Fall of Obi-Wan Kenobi UPDATED 3/14/09!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Vastor, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master

star 4
    Great story and great post... they should start broadcasting a surrender for the empire. Obiwan would know the codes.
  2. MoAngel Jedi Knight

star 2
    UHHHH...I'm dumbstruck! AMAZING. Over 2 years in the making and I'm still reading this story like a glutton. Too bad you can't publish your works, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
  3. wolf_kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    WOW. That just blew me away. Incredible....[face_hypnotized]

This has to be one of the best pieces of writing I have read in a long time.

You put many professional authors to shame, Darth_Vastor! Well done! =D=

Looking forward to seeing how this all wraps up... PM list please?
  4. timerift22 Jedi Knight

star 1
    i print out each new chapter and holepouch it and keep the whole thiing in a 3 ring binder so i can read it at any time as many times as i want i love it so.

Snow
  5. Darth_Cable Force Ghost

star 1
    I have it in MS Word

969 pages...That's incredible, just like the story
  6. Ascal_Elessar Jedi Knight

star 3
    =D= =D= Wow, what an amazing update, I don't know where to start. For most of it my heart was in my mouth thinking Obi-Wan was a goner. I was so happy Anakin was able to pull him back.
  7. Darth_Kripp Jedi Master

star 3
    Wow! That's what I call true mastery of the Force! Impressive!
    But please, do not write a too happy ending...
  8. DarthCambius Jedi Master

star 2
    That was awesome!!!!!

I am sad to see it ending soon.....
  9. Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just wanted to quickly say that I've recently started this story and find it truly amazing. I'm only as far as ch 29, but I have more to read over the weekend. Though I at times have trouble imagining Obi-Wan going by the name Vader, it's in my mind and nothing to do with the truly awesome twists this story has taken! [face_laugh] I hope to have a more in depth response in the next few days, and hopefully to catch up as well! Until then, I wanted to say how much I have truly enjoyed this fic!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]
  10. bobafett15 Jedi Knight

star 1
    1-barack obama is a Marxist[face_shame_on_you]
    2-You just mirrored the 1st part of ROTS[face_not_talking]
    3-I luv ur idea of Obi falling. PM me.[:D]
  11. bobafett15 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The official ROTS book version of that fight was somuch better. However, i want to c Obi fall, so Kudos
  12. zonzo Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    This is truly the greatest piece of literature I have ever read in my life.

PM me, please.
  13. Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still behind by about 20 chapters or so, but will have totally caught up here soon. I don't have the time to point out everything I'd like to about this story, but here are some highlights.

I have really enjoyed your characteration. The way they interact with each other and how you have gotten into their minds is truly wonderful to read. I also appreciate your portrayal of the force, especially during Anakin vs Vader in the Temple. Describing the auras around them revealed so much, in my opinion at least.

Actually, I might start taking notes as I finish reading this, so I don't forget when I actually have time to reply! [face_blush] You have truly delivered a fantastic read, and I would like PMs on the last few chapters when you get them done. And though I'm not really patient, I understand the demands of DRL and wish you luck with your education!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]
  14. Vialco Force Ghost

star 4
    I totally agree, this is a magnificent story, one of the best I've ever read. I've been following this story since it's inception, and I think that it is a magnificent work of literature. Obi-Wan Kenobi going to the Dark Side is a subject that is very rare, and many times poorly done. However, here, it is done in exquisite detail, with wonderful action and conflict, I look forward to the next post.
  15. Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Master

star 4
    I must admit that I am thoroughly impressed with the way this story has come about. Now that I am totally caught up, I have a few things I would like to say.

First, I would like to say that the running theme of Anakin and Obi-Wan/Vader mirroring each other was wonderfully done. It led up well to both to their final confrontation in the Dark as well as their meeting within the Force. And it is a concept that I completely agree with, especially in this setting.

Second, I LOVED the way Sidious was dispatched. His insanity was well portrayed throughout, and his final mental crumbling was rather gratifying to watch. OK, so I was cheering when Anakin took away his Force potential, and then when he was struck down! That ranks up there as one of my favorite scenes in the entire story!

Your characterizations were also well done. I admit that I was moved near to tears (I don?t admit to actually letting said tears fall!) on several occasions, most notably when Sabe heard Mace declaring that Obi-Wan was gone. That hit me. You have brought the emotions of all the characters to life, from the absolute misery to the brightest joy.

What I found most impressive though was your idea of bringing balance to the Force by embracing both the light and the dark. This is an idea that I myself have been working on for my story, though it will play out much differently. The idea of destiny verses freewill has stumped many for as long as the ideas have been around to torment the human mind, and I agree totally with your idea that ?The will of the Force reflects the will of the individual. Our destiny is what we make of it. I cannot find the exact passage I was looking for, but it was something along the lines of destiny stretching to eternity along the paths that our lives take. I personally believe that though certain events are destined to happen, it is our choices both leading up to and following these events that determine both how these events affect us and those around us. I feel that you have captured this feeling perfectly here.

(And if none of this is making sense, blame it on the fact that I?m typing this after midnight and after a long day! 8-}

Oh, yeah, the way that you have managed to meld so many elements from the OT into a completely original storyline didn?t hurt matters either! =D=

Please add me to your Pm list. I know that this story is coming to an end, and I certainly don?t want to miss it!

*I just realized that this is probably the longest and most detailed reply that I've ever done! And it's all your fault for having so much that I felt had to be replied to! [face_laugh] *

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]
  16. Force_Chick Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's taken me three days to read this story. It made my heart race, had me on the edge of my seat and moved me to tears too many times to count.

You have a very real talent for story telling. Your characterizations were excellent. The story was well paced and highly believable.

I know I read at one point were you stated that you were only 17 when you started this. You put Paolini to shame. I am blown away by the depth of your talent.

Please PM me for further updates. I HAVE to see how this one ends.
  17. Darth_Vastor Jedi Master

star 1
    All right everyone, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I am working hard to finish the next chapter of the story and get it to you as soon as I can - I'm very close to being done. The bad news is that out of the blue, my computer suffered a critical harddrive failure on Saturday :oops:. I had backed up most of this story on a zip drive, but unfortunately about 10 pages of the chapter I was working on were lost. Since I don't know when I'll get my computer back, I'm trying to reconstruct what was lost from memory, which I'm more than willing to do - it'll just take a few days longer than I planned. Don't worry - I'm not about to pull another one of those three month vanishing acts which have unfortunately become my staple - I'm doing everything in my power to finish these last three chapters as fast as I can.

While we wait, I thought I would finally get around to doing something I have been putting off for a long time - reader replies! :D [face_dancing] I continue to be amazed not only by the fierce loyalty of so many you 'veterans', but with how many fresh faces continue to crop up after every post! You guys are the reason I do this - I will miss all of you when this story comes to a close.

Valairy_Scot: I struggled for a long time with this - while it had always been my original plan to have Obi-Wan live, towards the middle of the story I began to lean strongly towards having him die, with Anakin learning a painful lesson in sacrifice before finally finding peace largely through Obi-Wan's son. I had actually begun to draft this ending before I began to realize that the themes which I had been developing throughout the story - love, sacrifice, control of one's destiny, redemption - all fit better with my original ending, so I went back in that direction, and I'm very glad I did. It sounds like you are too, so that makes it even better! :)

Thanks for the tip on the smart quotes as well. I'll try to fix that for the future!

DountCooku: Yeah, once I saw how ridiculously long this chapter was getting, I knew that I had to break it up. I couldn't leave you guys on an even worse cliffhanger after keeping you hanging on the old one for three months.

I'm afraid Jax has never even seen a T-16, much less bullseyed wamprats with one. Neither does he doesn't have the Force or Obi-Wan to help him. The odds are long, but Corellians don't set much in store by odds, do they? ;)

Darth_Cable: Your loyalty to this story humbles me; it's really remarkable that you've stuck with it through all the ups and downs over the years. It means a lot to me, so thank you.

LostSkywalker: Hopefully you enjoyed it when you got around to it - I really apologize for that whole mess. Thanks for your tip on cleaning it up!

Gkilkenny: Obi-Wan would have found out about his son one way or another - but now, he has the chance to know him and watch him grow up. I couldn't deny him that, especially after Anakin went through everything he did to bring balance and discover the true power of life.

Ocelotl_Nesto: Obi-Wan, as Vader, does indeed have the authority to call on the Empire to surrender. Unfortunately, there are a few sadistic scumbags (i.e. the man in charge of the Death Star) who will not stand down no matter what. This still isn't over ...

MoAngel: This story may never be published, but believe me when I say that having the opportunity to get feedback from readers like you has been its own reward. Thank you for your amazing loyalty and dedication.

wolf_kenobi: Wow ... that's heavy praise - thank you. I can't fully express how much fun that chapter was to write. I'll make sure you get a PM for the last few updates!

timerift22: That must be one thick, thick binder ... but the fact that you enjoy this story enough to want to read it more than once means more to me than words can say.

Ascal_Elessar: Well, I couldn't let you off easy, could I? ;) I had to go for the adrenaline rush.

18. Kivas Jedi Knight

star 1
    The raw emotion in that was amazing, all I can say is thank you.
  19. bobafett15 Jedi Knight

star 1
    BEAST!

Love it, especially the new understanding that obi-wan has. I could never get my characters to dive down as deep as your's did;plus, your insight into the matters of the Jedi An Sith, one prospering, the other suffering, are wonderful. Two thumbs up!

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  20. bobafett15 Jedi Knight

star 1
    BEAST! I loved the stuff with Sabe, truly excellent work.

The taxi arrived at Five Hundred Replica-republica

Wonderful, looking forward to more.
  21. bobafett15 Jedi Knight

star 1
    BEAST AGAIN!!! Loved the scene with BAne.

PM me
  22. nada_smith Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm so glad Obi-Wan's back! You've done an admirable job of showing how Obi-Wan might be led to the dark side and redeemed. It would be different from Anakin's fall because his personality is different. This has been a wonderfully crafted story. And you've been very disciplined about not quickly wrapping it up with a happy ending without showing the struggles the characters have had to endure to get to the point of redemption. Of course, it's not over yet.

(I've been reading for a while, but only recently broke out of lurkerdom. And as a completely unnecessary aside I have to say that I just knew The Leader had to be Mace. I was so proud of myself for guessing that. And I was so glad that Mace survived. And now, back to the regularly scheduled programming.)

I've really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading your conclusion.

23. mujapple-juicey Jedi Master

star 4
    I was reading this as a lurker and now I HAVE to say this story is AMAZING!
    Shocking skill to the utter extreme.
    All bow down to Darth_Vastor (and don't anyone defy me, I spank people).
    I am on my knees (literally physically).
    This was ultimate.
    That thing about light and dark and all that mega- poetic stuff(that I wish I understood) took the breath right out of me.
    How do you come up with this?!

tapping fish
    willcall
  24. timerift22 Jedi Knight

star 1
    well it is thick and thats considering that i print in size between 2 or 5 (really little) so i dont have to pay for as many pages from the library and soon im gonna move 3,000 miles so i wont be keeping it but i have saved it all in my email and yahoo group files in the fanfic archive i plan to one day print it out in "normal" pages i may end up needing 2 or 3 notebooks then lol

looking forward to a post soon

guess i wont see the end before i move ( end september ) but ill be watching for the posts just the same.

Snow
  25. timerift22 Jedi Knight

star 1
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.