Saga The Shadow of Vader - A ROTS AU - The Fall of Obi-Wan Kenobi UPDATED 3/14/09!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Vastor, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. mujapple-juicey Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, you grin.
    I'm stuck with people who refuse air conditioning.
    GRRRRRRR!
  2. Darth_Cable Force Ghost

star 1
    UPDATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

3. mujapple-juicey Jedi Master

star 4
    Cable, tone down.
    I want the same thing, but it's nap time.
    If anyone wakes "Mr. Giant Larynx" from his nap, they're dead.
    Yeah, I WANNA POST TOO!:_|
  4. Darth_Cable Force Ghost

star 1
    I was drunk

Cut me some slack

5. Azura Jedi Knight

This is a brilliant story. =D= It's definitely the most believable depiction of a fallen Obi-Wan that I've ever seen -- nothing else even comes close. You really know how to delve into the hearts and minds of our favorite characters and portray their insights and interactions in a beautifully poetic and emotionally charged manner. I was fascinated by your exploration of the themes of destiny and free will, the meaning of bringing balance to the Force, and the powerful bonds of love. Your visual imagery and action scenes are finely crafted as well. In short, this is one of the best fics I've ever read.

I could go on, but I'm tired from all of that reading, so I'll spare you any further ramblings. :p I look forward to an update (hopefully soon)!
  6. Darth_Cable Force Ghost

star 1
  7. Vadidious Jedi Padawan

8. Darth_Vastor Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey everyone,

It's been several months since I promised you that I would finish the story. And that promise has not changed. I will finish it, and I will do it as soon as I am able.

That said, I screwed up. I made a major miscalculation about my ability to balance multiple commitments, and proceeded to overload myself with work, a habit of which I have seemed unable to rid myself of. This quarter, in spite of all advice and common sense, I proceeded to do all of the following:

-Take 5 classes for a combined total of 20 hours
    -Play on a club basketball team with two practices and a game per week
    -Volunteer for a political campaign
    -Find research programs for next spring
    -Maintain something resembling normal social contact with my friends and family
    -Stay sane

Needless to say, I have found that performing all of these tasks is not conducive to a manageable lifestyle, and I have paid for it earnestly. I will be making some serious readjustments for my next quarter, with the hope of finding the correct and sustainable balance. I have continued to write during this time, and I have most of the final three chapters outlined and ready for final touch ups. However, I still have three weeks left in my current quarter, and until that time, it will be very difficult for me to post anything. So the drought will continue, at least for another several weeks.

For all those who have stuck with me this long, you all deserve a medal. Seriously. I have put you through some serious torture by keeping you waiting this long. I sincerely apologize, and while I don't expect forgiveness, I do hope that you will be able to enjoy the final three chapters as part of the greater overall store, not as a separate subchapter overshadowed by my obvious failure.

My best to all of you. I will see you in a few weeks.

Darth Vastor
  9. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    This story is worth waiting months for! Hope you tame DRL.
  10. Darth_Cable Force Ghost

star 1
    If we can wait this long and still be here

3 years, 4 months, 24 days

Another few weeks/months won't kill me at least
  11. Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand struggling with DRL, so I think that I can handle the longer than expected delay. Good luck finding your balance and I look forward to the ending!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]
  12. Vialco Force Ghost

star 4
    I have followed this story since it's inception, and I agree that it is worth waiting for. I want to see how Obi-Wan interacts with his son, now that he has been redeemed. I look forward to the next update.
  13. timerift22 Jedi Knight

star 1
    wow its been THAT long ???

well like many have said if were still here

1 were not going anywhere
    2 its more than worth the wait
    3 we'll still be here and will survive the wait

(though were anxious lol)

4. hope you balance all well and soon GRIN

Snow
  14. jedipati Force Ghost

star 3
    You know, I'm doing something similar to what you're doing right now, so I quite understand just trying to keep your head above water at this point. And we've been hanging with you this long, we can wait a bit longer. This story is worth it.
  15. DountCooku Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good luck finding the balance. College makes that difficult some times. :) I have no doubt that you will finish the story, and your readers will be here to read it when you do. :)
  16. Darth_Vastor Jedi Master

star 1
    A belated Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all! :D

I hope that everyone out there had a wonderful time yesterday with friends and family. There hasn't been a lot of good news recently, particularly given the increasingly somber state of the economy, but though we are all facing our own personal struggles, I really believe that having the opportunity to spend time with those we love can do a great deal to ease the burdens of troubled minds. There's a lot to be said for the taking a moment to appreciate all those blessings which make our lives meaningful.

Anyway, onto the business at hand. After surviving the quarter and taking several much needed days to get my mind back on track, I finally have the next chapter of The Shadow of Vader, locked and loaded, ready to go. This chapter and the next are effectively a two-parter - I will have the next installment up in a day or two. We're really on the homestretch now, the finish line in sight, and with a little luck, there will be no stumbles the rest of the way. I hope that you enjoy this next chapter, and that you will hang with me for the next few weeks. A thousand thanks for your patience and kindness. It's great to be back!

Chapter 66

Who would have ever thought it would come down to this?

Jax Bronson felt as though the entire galaxy was closing in around him. His limbs tense, his heart pounding, his stomach boiling with suppressed fear, he nevertheless managed to keep his eyes determinedly focused on the rapidly approaching curtain of at least a hundred TIE Fighters which had materialized between him and his target. Behind them, the Death Star loomed ever larger, a seemingly indestructible force bearing down upon the last hope for the Alliance?s survival. It seemed ludicrous that he, seated at the controls of a battered, one-man starfighter, without even the support of his squadron, could ever find a way to break through the monumental station?s defenses, which were easily repelling the most heavily-armed capital ships, and survive long enough to find its one weakness ... all in the narrow window of time remaining before the Death Star unleashed a torrent of firepower great enough to annihilate Alderaan and its several billion citizens.

The pressure - the sheer enormity of the situation and its potential consequences - was crushing. Jax's head throbbed painfully - if he could only have a moment to think, to plan ...

But he didn?t have that moment. Those TIEs would be within range at any second, and he, still taken aback by their sudden appearance and bereft of any plan to deal with them, was barreling towards them at top speed, a single arrow aimed at the heart of an invincible beast. His thoughts tore through his mind at an even greater pace as he drew upon years of military logic and experience to devise some way of avoiding a direct confrontation. He was coming up empty and time was running down ...

"I hate to cast a shadow on our sunny little parade, but this doesn?t look good." Han Solo?s brash voice cut into Jax's musings. The young Corellian noted, with no mild surprise, that the Millenium Falcon was still hanging on his wing, even as they faced an onrushing wave of destruction. "If you've got a plan to get us through that line, now would be a great time to share it with the rest of us."

"Quiet, Solo," Jax shot back, "I'm working on it."

"Well, work faster," Solo retorted. "Because if I don't hear something in about ten seconds ..."

Jax barely heard him, his entire conscious compressing painfully to one point as though caught in the coils of a steel snake. For years, he had fantasized about vanquishing the Empire and avenging the deaths of all those he had loved and cared for, but while he was confident in his skills and his underlying conviction, he had never braced himself to handle the truly crushing weight of such expectations, the brutal grind of every second he would have to eke out to reach the deciding climax, or, most importantly, the all-consuming
  17. Darth_Vastor Jedi Master

star 1
    One more thing; as a reward to all my faithful readers, who have stuck with this story through thick and thin, long struggles and unreasonable delays, I will be writing a "missing moment" scene which I was not originally planning to include in the story. I haven't yet decided whether it will be posted here or sent out by PM request, so I'll let you know more as things move forward. I don't want to give too much away; however, I will say that it involves our major characters and addressing a very important topic, about which many of you have talked about in your responses to the later chapters.
  18. timerift22 Jedi Knight

star 1
    sigh no obi and company WHINE

but great all the same

i relocated back home to WA after 9 yrs in pa

rent due and no money gonna move in with family next week unless a miracle happens to give us $850 or we will have a debt to pay for early cancelation of our lease, and unemployment is giving my mom and i the run around and keeps putting us off now my moms hearing is by phone the last day we may possible live hear ha ha 4 wheel drive dont active or deactivate right heater dont work radio is malfunctioning weather is terrible 120,000+ miles on our 12 + year old vehicle have applied to about 400 jobs apeice in 3 months and have had 2 calls each. were in a terrible way and this update perks me up a LITTLE SOB SOB SOB

at least we have a place to go though.

Snow
  19. Vialco Force Ghost

star 4
    Second!

Thanks for the PM, otherwise I would not have noticed the update for a while. Great job, this was a well-written chapter, and your characterization of Tarkin is truly magnificent. I shudder to think what would have happened if there was no thermal exhaust port. Because Tarkin is right, in a way, it would take many fleet's to defeat the Death Star, and had it not been defeated, Tarkin's ambition's of Emperor might have been realized. It's great to see you back in action, hope you had a merry Christmas, and I wish you a happy new year.
    =D= =D= =D=
  20. Vadidious Jedi Padawan

It's a pity that you're so busy. Writing like this shouldn't show up once every few months :(. Great job again, and I hope the next post has some Anakin and Obi Wan in there.
  21. jedipati Force Ghost

star 3
    This was a wonderful chapter, and it's great to see more from you! Looking forward to the next part!
  22. Darth_Kripp Jedi Master

star 3
    :) It was really worth waiting!!! AMAZING UPDATE! I loved your depiction of Tarkin's personality: arrogant, self-sufficient, but utterly foolish! =D=
    To be honest, I would have prefered if Jax had died at the end, but it's very good with him surviving...
  23. Ascal_Elessar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great job, so glad to see this story back. You certainly havent lost your touch with the action scenes. Looking forward to the next chapter.
  24. DarthCambius Jedi Master

star 2
    well worth the wait!! keep it coming!!
  25. DountCooku Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good to see you back in action, Vastor! That chapter really kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm glad that Jax survived, and that Solo and company were able to retrieve him. Let's hope the bacta can put him back together again!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.