main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Shadow of Vader - A ROTS AU - The Fall of Obi-Wan Kenobi UPDATED 3/14/09!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Vastor, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kivas

Kivas Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    Great update - :)

2. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks for the PM, even though it took me half of forever to get here, lol. Excellent chapter, so very worth the wait!

The descriptions you portray are truly amazing, and the human element is such an enjoyable read. What a rescue! But one of my favorite parts was the end of Tarkin, who you wrote very well. Han's realizations were wonderful as well, and I'm sure this experience will stick with him for the rest of his days.

I'm very much looking forward to the remainder of this, and hope the DRL is kinder to you in the coming year than it seems to have been in the past.

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

3. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    Excellent post! Very well done! =D=
    Looking forward to more.

4. Darth_Vastor

Darth_Vastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    Welcome to 2009!

Abounding with hope and ready to get the new year started in style, we have a new chapter to post in our increasingly-long winded epic, The Shadow of Vader. The end is so close now, we can all taste it; after this, there are only two more official chapters to go (see author's note at the end of this chapter). I go back to school on January 5, but now that we have wrapped up most of the subplots, it is my fervent hope that I will able to efficiently wrap things up in a satisfyingly emotional conclusion.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of you who have read and responded following the long layoff. It means a great deal to me that so many of you have remained loyal readers despite the pitfalls we have encountered. Once again, a very Happy New Year to you all! [:D]

Chapter 67

Above Coruscant, the Shining Light of the Galaxy, hope was giving way to darkness. The Fool's Dream was dying, and with it, any lingering chance the Alliance still possessed of victory. Having been drawn far out of position, the great ship hung alone in between the lines of warring Rebel and Imperial cruisers, an arrow without a shaft, a defiant warrior with no army to answer her rallying cry.

The entire allied fleet was in dire and desperate condition. Fully half of its ships had been disabled or destroyed, and the rest were in pressing danger of following them soon. Trapped in-system against the gravity well of the city-planet and fully half of the Imperial Navy, they had no hope of fleeing the system, and surrender was out of the question. Deprived of any other option, the Rebels continued to fight bravely on, giving everything they could to their enemies until one by one their hulls were breached and their guns fell silent.

Every ship on the Imperial front line was now targeting the Rebels' flagship, confidently assured that once the standard-bearer fell, the spirits of their foes would finally be broken. Every single vessel which had attempted to come to its aid had been met with overwhelming successive waves of turbolaser fire until it had either retreated or else been reduced to atoms. The Fool's Dream itself, meanwhile, continued to relentlessly pursue each and every challenge with a will, driven ever forward by its captain?s inexorable lead.

Ever since he had learned of Palpatine's twisted plan for Alderaan, Bail Organa had been consumed by an irrational, rage-driven fire. He had directed his capital ship to throw itself into battle after battle with reckless abandon. Though larger and better armed, the Star Destroyers opposite them had been unprepared for such unchecked fury. The Fool's Dream had destroyed two of the massive Imperial craft single-handedly, along with numerous smaller ones. They were now very close to overwhelming the shields on a third.

Their furious offensive, however, had come at a cost. The Fool?s Dream's shields were now depleted to critical levels, and their hull was taking severe structural damage. They would not last more than a few more minutes in the line of fire, yet Bail had refused to order the ship to pull back. He remained a man possessed, determined to hurt the Empire as much as he could in order to distract himself from the impending moment of judgment ... until he could avoid the crushing weight of despair no longer.

"Sir!"

Bail tore his vengeful eyes from the pitched battle raging outside his forward viewport, rounding to face the communications officer whose call had distracted him from his immediate task. "What, Lieutenant?"

The young man's pale face was laden with frightened anticipation. "Sir, we're receiving an urgent message from General Kota at Alderaan."

Bail's heart clenched painfully, and it took all of his considerable willpower not to collapse in grief. It was as he had feared. He was about to receive the news that would completely break his spirit, the news that the Death Star had destroyed his beloved Alderaan, and with it everything that he held most dea

5. Darth_Cable

Darth_Cable Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    This is just too cool, I can't come up with something more suitable currently

Tis aweseome work

There we go...

I'd like a copy of the bonus chapter please

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    As wonderful as the ENTIRE story has been, including this chapter, I must admit I almost jumped up and down at reading:

At the very end, Obi-Wan and his son Jadon will make contact for the very first time.
    [face_dancing]

I've kinda lost track of the actual details of the story over the time span (it has been one intense and compelling, exceedingly well-written story), but poor Obi-Wan was driven into darkness. I hope he ultimately finds peace, though he'll never escape his past.

Happy, healthy and wise New Year's to you and thank you for this wonderful story!

7. searth_99

searth_99 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2001
    Wow! this has been an amazing fic! so much detail and plot! by chance can you pm me your bonus chapter as well as the previous pm chapters for this story(I think there was one with Anakin and his battle with Ventress)?

8. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Awesome fic.

Loved the death star run, it was certainly different.

I'd like the interim chapter if that's ok?

EG

9. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    I would like the PM chapter. Thanks!

10. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I'll take the interim chapter. It's been a fun journey to this point.

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well done, excellent ending, I am impressed. This is a perfect way to sum things up,and I would be very interested in reading that interim chapter. Thanks for the great fic, Farth Vastor. =D= =D= =D= =D=

12. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Please PM me the interim chapter; I can't wait to read it! :D

As for the fic, you have done an outstanding job. =D= I've read very few fics where Obi-Wan was the one to fall to the darkside; this one was wonderfully done. Obi-Wan's redemption was handled perfectly and was very believable. I was hoping you'd write a scene where he and his son would meet.

13. Force_Chick

Force_Chick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2008
    =D= Han, Chewie and even Lando flying of into the sunset. Loved it!

Please add me to the PM list for the extra chapters.

14. jedipati

jedipati Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 12, 2000
    Great chapter!

And I'd like the extra chapter too.

15. timerift22

timerift22 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    extra chapter YES

Snow

16. DountCooku

DountCooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    Bonus chapter please!

It sounds like Han might actually grow up to be respectable this time around. Who would have thunk it? I hope Jax is able to recover eventually. That's a nasty set of injuries!

17. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *dances* YAY! They did it! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] The war's over! Which means, of course, that the negotiations will start, and as Han said, "This is where the fun begins." :D

Excellent work, Vastor! It's been an amazing ride! And since I'm such a sucker for anything regarding our two couples, I'd also love to see the bonus chapter, so feel free to PM it to me or post it here as you like. :)

Again, wonderful work! @};- @};- =D= =D=

18. MissDaydream

MissDaydream Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2007
    ::delurks::

I lurv Bail. XD

Um. Extra chapter for me too, please?

19. DarthVaderette

DarthVaderette Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2004
    Howdy,I've been enjoying the story, can you send me the interim chapter too? (and a PM when you upate?)

20. Vadidious

Vadidious Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2007
    Hmm... great ending to one of the best stories ever written. Now if only this was really part of the canon world's history. Please put up the extra chapter :)

21. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I hope the end of 2008 was good for you and the whole of 2009 is great for you.

I cheered when Anakin saved Obi-Wan and I'm looking forward to seeing Jadon and Obi together.

It has been an interesting ride and the story continues to grab me.=D=

22. Darth_Kripp

Darth_Kripp Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Nice update! It is quite unbelievable to think that Vader has arranged a cease fire when he started all this mess...

23. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Great to see the update... I have been off the boards for a while, but it is great to see the story updated. I am intersted in your interim story too.

I liked how you took the story away from main charatchers for a while. Fun to see the mix with Thrawn and Solo.

24. timerift22

timerift22 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    I was really looking forward to seeing what happened with them excaping the throne room will be eagerly awaiting the scene where obi meets his son, talks to yoda/mace and i see a wedding in the future. (obi/sabe)

mmm

25. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    I am delurking long enough to say that, I'd like the interm post, keep up the great work -relurks-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.