main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Shakespeare Discussion Thread: "Anonymous"

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediNemesis, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I suspect they made changes...?

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I'm taking an upper div Shakespeare class right now, and I love Shakespeare, so it's gotten me into the mood of watching a bunch of Shakespeare films as well...

Recently I watched Henry V (1989). I first saw this film in school when I was about 15. It had me at hello :p It was the first Kenneth Branagh film I'd seen and I was not prepared for how awesome he would be both as actor and director. But I hadn't seen it in ages, and I'm taking a Shakespeare course right now. So I rented it and watched it tonight to see if it held up to the glowing reviews of my teenage years.

It was even better than I'd remembered. Probably because I've now seen/read more of the surrounding histories, so the backstory is deeper to me. But also just because it's a damn fine movie. Not just a good adaptation, or a good "play" movie, an extremely good movie overall. It's staggering to think that Branagh could, at 28, create such a great work of art with such an amazing cast and get Oscar nods for Best Actor AND Best Director with a 9 million dollar budget when he had never directed a film before and had no training in it!

I honestly believe this is one of the best films ever made. In my top 20, for sure. I need to get my own copy. Also, the music is absolutely brilliant, particularly the theme for the Crispan's Day speech. And that long tracking shot as Branagh carries young Christian Bale through the muddy, blood-soaked battlefield is a thing of wonders, maybe in my top 5 scenes of all time. The more I learn deeply about Shakespeare, the more I adore and admire Branagh's work.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I haven't seen this one. Have you seen the Olivier version?

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    There's a new TV version of "Othello" tonight, for those who get CBC.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Found the Shakespeare Thread.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Tonight on PBS:

8-11PM*
    PBS, TV-PG

Great Performances: King Lear

"Sir Ian McKellen plays the titular king in this Royal Shakespearean production, allegedly about power and betrayal, but really about some insane real estate.*check local listings"

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    And miss Motown night on American Idol? That's asking a lot.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Good for your soul.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't gotten around to ever watching a filmed version of Lear; I think I need too. It's the most difficult of the tragedies to read, I think. Some of the scenes are almost impossible to follow.

10. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I've heard this production is amazing. They did cut the nude scene though.

I recently read an essay for my Lord of the Rings class that compared Theoden to King Lear. I don't remember the title atm, but it was pretty interesting.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Theoden is definitely a take on Lear.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I studied King Lear in HS, loved it. Though these sort of things are very rarely on TV here.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It was years for me between reading the play and finally seeing a stage production.

14. TheEmpireStrikes

TheEmpireStrikes Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2004
    Saw this in person, when it was touring the UK - the nude scene was quite amusing.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "King Lear" is the most nihilistic of the tragedies, no question.

Shakespeare had two daughters, too. :p

16. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Started reading the Tempest, my first Shakespeare comedy. Quite good so far, though some very strange story elements. Discuss if you've read it.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think The Tempest is my least favorite of the plays I've read (I've read all the tragedies, Richard III of the histories, and this one and Much Ado About Nothing from the comedies).

I just don't feel that Prospero is much of a character; he's too literally all powerful to be at all interesting or engaging. When a character has that much power there's simply no energy or real drama; and its lesser in its prose. That incredible "rounded with a sleep" passage is probably the only strictly great piece of writing in the play.

I've read it twice, seen it performed once. Just dislike it. It feels pretty experimental, really; some scholars theorize that Shakespeare had taken licks for breaking the rules of theater as far as jumping through time and space too freely, so he wrote The Tempest in order to satisfy a strict reading of the "one location-short period of time" theory. I have no clue whether this is at all true, but it just doesn't seem to have the energy or the life of the other plays I've read.

On a related note, I saw, not long ago, a local university production of Richard III, updated to modern day corporate America. Richard, turned oddly but brilliantly, into a female character manuevers to take over the corporation led by her father. It was, strangely, absolutely brilliant; it was just a local production, but the gender switch really worked beautifully. And I think the actor who played Buckingham, who was pretty bad as Prospero in the production of The Tempest I saw, gave something like a definitive performance; I think I won't be able to shake Buckingham as a yuppie middle manager. That's somehow absolutely perfect. It was absolutely enthralling.

On another related note, I'm reading Bloom's Western Canon; I don't always have affinity for Bloom, but his chapter on Shakespeare is brilliant. He elevates King Lear to the absolute center of the canon; it is the pinnacle, in his terms, of all literature to that point and the wellspring of all literature sense. I'd maybe put Hamlet up there ahead of Lear (Bloom puts it just behind) but the chapter on the plays of Shakespeare and their centrality to our way of writing, reading, thinking and living is just brilliant.

Long. Post. Sorry. :p

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'd like to see that gender switch, no question.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
  20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nah, the one about God holding a press conference to clarify 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' after 9/11 is the best of all time.

But yeah, that one had me on the floor.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Got my claws on "Contested Will", James Shapiro's new book on the disputes on Shakespeare's authorship. It is fascinating.

23. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    9-11PM* | PBS | SEASON PREMIERE
    Great Performances: Macbeth

"The brilliant Patrick Stewart stars in a TV adaptation of the Shakespeare tragedy that he performed to raves in both New York and London."

The Scottish play! At least he's got the right last name.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I love Macbeth and was in a production of it this summer. Stewart may be a little old though...

25. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Olivier's stab (le mot juste, I think) at "Othello" is on TCM Saturday.