Before The Shaman of the Whills (Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan adventure/drama) Now complete!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ForceForGood, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Title: The Shaman of the Whills
    Description: Qui-Gon Jinn goes on a quest to find the mysterious Ancient Order of the Whills, keepers of the secret to immortality. But young Obi-Wan will make a disturbing discovery of his own.
    Author: ForceForGood
    Genre: Drama
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Disclaimer: I don't own the rights to Star Wars and I write for fun, not profit.
    Author's note: Don't let the prologue fool you. This story will be from Obi-Wan's POV!

Prologue

"Father?"

"Yes?"

"Can I have a drink of water?"

Luke Skywalker paused in the act of switching off the light in his son's bedroom.

"You already had a drink of water, Ben. Lay down. It's time to sleep now."

"But I'm cold."

Luke sighed, but he crossed over to the closet and got another blanket down from the shelf.

"Father, who was that man who came to see you today?" Ben asked as Luke spread the blanket over him. "The Force was very strong with him, I could feel it. Is he going to be one of your Jedi?"

"No, Ben. He's already in another Order. In fact, he's the head of his Order."

"Then how come he came to see you?"

"He wanted to give me a book."

"What's a book? Can I see it?"

"It's a record, like a holocron, only it's just words on flimsi or paper."

"No pictures?" Ben asked in disappointment.

"This one does have pictures, on some of the pages, but they don't move."

"Can I see one?"

Luke hesitated. "I suppose. Just for a minute. And then you must go to sleep, or I'll get in trouble with your mother. It's far too late for a 6-year-old boy to be still awake."

Luke left the room and returned a few moments later with a large, thick book with blue covers and gilded edges. He set it gently on Ben's lap. "Be careful with this, son. It's very valuable."

"It's heavy!" Ben said in surprise. "The Journal of the Whills," he read slowly, tracing the words on the cover with his finger.

"There have been many journals of the Whills," Luke said. "This volume was written before I was born. At least, the beginning was."

Ben opened the book to the middle and began to flip through the pages, looking for pictures.

"Wizard!" he said. "Look at this one, Father!"

Together they looked at the sketch. It depicted an enormous droid stalking forward, brandishing a lightsaber in each of its four hands, malice gleaming in its yellow eyes. Was it a droid? Those eyes look alive, Ben thought with a shudder.

In the foreground, a man in white stood facing the droid, a single blue lightsaber ignited in his hand. He was dwarfed by his foe, surrounded by its whirling blades, but he was leaning forward boldly, about to strike.

"Look, a Jedi!" Ben said. "Who is he?"

"He's the hero of this book," Luke said.

"Will you read this part to me?" Ben asked eagerly.

"Yes, son, but not tonight. You need to go to sleep now."

Ben knew better than to argue with his father. "Promise you won't forget?"

Luke ruffled Ben's hair. "I promise. I'm eager to read it myself. Much of this story is new to me, too." He took the book from Ben's hands and switched off the light.

"Good night, Ben."

Chapter 1

"Master?"

"Yes?"

"I'm hungry."

"I know."

"You do?"

"You told me that 10 minutes ago, Padawan."

"Oh."

Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi clambered over a moss-covered log, both panting in the oppressive heat. Qui-Gon continued walking in front so he could beat through the underbrush and make a path for his more slender apprentice.

"Well then, I'm still hungry," Obi-Wan clarified.

Qui-Gon parted a heavy curtain of vines that hung from gnarled branches overhead, and held them to the side so Obi-Wan could pass. "You're a 15-year-old boy, Obi-Wan. I think it's safe to assume you will always be 'still hungry.'"

With that, Qui-Gon seemed to think the conversation was over, and continued wading through the thick undergrowth. Obi-Wan followed him with a sigh, pulling his damp tunic away from his sweaty back in a futile attempt to find some relief from the heat. He'd wanted to take his tunic off co
  2. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Poor Obi-Wan always hungry, like most growing boys.

Good beginning.
  3. littleobiwankenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    great story, can´t wait to hear more from obi.

4. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm hungry just reading about how he's hungry! lol

Great story. I'm already hooked. I bet this is really going to be good. Any chance we can get the next chapter soon? Like now?
  5. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you! I hope the rest of the story measures up!

Ask and ye shall receive :)
    Patience, my young friend. Here it is!
  6. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chapter 2

Qui-Gon folded his arms and ducked his chin down in what Obi-Wan recognized as his "teaching pose." "Tell me what you sense, Padawan."

"Nothing at all," Obi-Wan said. "We're surrounded by plants and animals of all kinds. The Living Force should be flowing all around us. But everything feels... strangely blank. What does it mean, Master?"

"I'm not sure," Qui-Gon admitted.

Obi-Wan felt uneasy. Could it the Dark Side? he wondered.

But this lack of sensation was not what he had experienced when they had fought the Dark Jedi Xanatos a year ago. Then, it had been rolling, oily black waves of negative energy that choked his senses. This was simply... a void.

"We'd better keep moving," Qui-Gon said. "I have a feeling we'll find out, sooner or later."

They pressed on, more warily now. They could not rely on the Force to warn them of danger. Instead, they used their eyes and ears to watch for anything unusual. After another kilometer or so, they noticed a change in the vegetation. Mixed in with the lush jungle growth were enormous trees that looked like they would be better suited to growing on a savanna. Qui-Gon stopped to inspect one closely. Abruptly, he took off the water pack he had slung across his chest and began to climb the tree. Obi-Wan stayed on the ground to stand guard.

"Come up and see this, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon called down softly a minute later.

Obi-Wan climbed up nimbly and balanced himself carefully on a branch next to Qui-Gon's. His eyes followed his Master's pointing finger up until he saw four creatures, each about a foot long, crouching on a branch near the trunk of the tree.

They were lizard-like, with a second pair of small eyes set close behind their primary eyes, and sparse tufts of white hair on top of their heads. The creatures were motionless, their claws sunk deep into the tree, black eyes glistening as they looked down at the Jedi. Obi-Wan felt an involuntary shudder move down his spine. Although he saw them with his eyes, according to his Jedi senses they simply did not exist.

He had never seen one in person before, but he knew what they were. The Jedi had named the second form of lightsaber combat - Makashi, or The Way of the Ysalamiri - after them, and admired them greatly. One of only a handful of non-sentient Force-sensitive creatures in the galaxy, the Ysalamiri evaded the notice of predators by generating a Force-neutral bubble. The two Jedi had found the source of their Force-blindness.

But it was said Ysalamiri could only be found on their native planet of Myrkr, clinging to the Olbio trees that gave them nourishment.

"I thought it was impossible to detach a Ysalamiri from its Olbio tree without killing it," Obi-Wan whispered.

"These are Olbio trees," Qui-Gon said.

"I thought it was impossible to transplant Olbio trees without killing them."

"I thought so, too. Whoever brought them here must have been a skilled gardener."

They watched the Ysalamiri curiously for a while, but then Obi-Wan thought more about what his Master had just said.

"Do you think there might be a garden somewhere nearby?" he said hopefully.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes for a moment, but when he opened them again, his expression was as serene as ever. "Obi-Wan. We will stop to eat when we get to the ruins, but not a moment before."

"Promise?"

"Yes," Qui-Gon said patiently as he began to climb back down the tree. "I promise."

They journeyed on. After they had gone several miles, they began to feel the effects of the Ysalamiri diminish. Their Force-senses gradually returned, and with them, the life-forces of the jungle beat upon them like waves on a beach.

The farther they walked, the more the Living Force grew in intensity. It grew until it felt more like a riptide, threatening to sweep them out of their selves entirely. Obi-Wan's head was swimming from trying to resist the sheer force of the energies crashing into him.

"Stop fighting it," Qui-Gon said. "Let it all in." Obi-Wan tried to obey, but he was nervous. If he lost his self, what would be left?

But he trusted
  7. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    I hate spiders too. And I'm soooo sick of that try phrase...lol

Great chapter. When is he gonna eat?
  8. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    A nice story and spiders[face_thinking]

Like these? [image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/aaquilin75.jpg]
  9. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Well done.
    Your description of the dark side was done beautifully.
    I liked Obi-Wans words about Dessert for the bird but he ends up being the main meal
    for the spiders.
    You have Qui-Gon in the teaching mode which is wonderful.

I am looking forward to more.
    Can you PM me please when you update.

My smileys are not working so Clap clap.[face_idea]
  10. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    There is just something so otherworldly and... and... icky about spiders!

I bet all the Jedi younglings start hearing the "try phrase" from infancy. Luke lucked out and didn't have to hear it until his 20s!

Ugh! Spiders that big give me the horrors!
    You have fan art for every occasion, don't you? ;-) Very nice!

Thank you, you are so kind. It's so fun to write non-angsty Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon moments! Yes, I do PMs.
  11. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chapter 3

"You overdid it," Qui-Gon said.

Obi-Wan ignored this comment, as a far more urgent matter was pressing on his mind than analyzing his own misguided attempts to radiate peace and contentment toward a pack of flesh-eating spiders as he descended a cliff of dizzying heights. What he wanted to do more than anything right now was to dive screaming into the nearest river. Instead, he exercised as much control as he could muster, and slowly and carefully began to take off his tunic. Qui-Gon frowned disapprovingly.

"You were supposed to encourage them to ignore you, Padawan, not like you."

"Master, can we discuss this later, please?!" Obi-Wan's voice broke on the last word, heaping further embarrassment on an already embarrassing situation. The tunic was off now -- thank the Force! -- revealing the half-dozen or so spiders who, influenced through the Force by Obi-Wan, had enjoyed his calming presence so much that they decided to crawl under his clothing and snuggle right up against his skin as he climbed down the cliff.

"No, don't flick them off!" Qui-Gon said, as Obi-Wan moved to do just that. "Patience, Padawan. Let me help."

Obi-Wan's heart was racing at an abnormal rate, but he forced himself to hold still as Qui-Gon concentrated his will on the spiders' tiny minds.

It took less than a minute, but it felt like an eternity; Obi-Wan could sense Qui-Gon's gentle Force-suggestions to the spiders that there was some tasty food to be found back up at the top of the cliff, and one by one the creatures crawled down Obi-Wan's body -- their legs producing an agony of ticklish sensations on his bare skin -- and began scaling the rock face.

Obi-Wan's shoulders sagged with relief.

"One more," Qui-Gon said. Obi-Wan tensed again, and the last spider crawled out of his pant leg and followed its companions.

"Is that all of them?" Obi-Wan asked, rooted to the spot.

"That's all." Qui-Gon smiled. "Ready to move on?"

Why did it have to be spiders? Obi-Wan sighed deeply, and wiped the sweat off his brow. "Yes, Master."

The journey seemed much easier now. Before, the tangle of bushes and vines had formed a complex series of obstacles to navigate. Here, it seemed as though the plant life grew in such a way as to let them pass almost effortlessly. The last mile went by quickly, and soon they found themselves at the base of the mound, looking at a set of stairs formed by flat stones set into the ground, progressing upwards in an orderly fashion all the way to the top.

"Master, I've been thinking," Obi-Wan said as they began to climb the stairs. "There's something I don't understand. The Guatamans said they created this preserve to protect the native wildlife. Ysalamiri, and their Oblio trees, are clearly not native. Why would they go to so much trouble to bring them here? What did they have to gain by it?"

"A very good question," Qui-Gon said, but once again he seemed distracted, and Obi-Wan was hesitant to interrupt his thoughts.

They crested the hill and surveyed the ruins. Much of the outer wall of the structure had crumbled, leaving big blocks of white stone on the ground jumbled together with vines and shrubs, and little rodents scampering around everywhere. However, many of the inner walls were nearly intact, and tall enough to block their view of the other side of the mound-top.

"We should start by looking for the center of the structure first, I think," Qui-Gon said, half to himself.

Obi-Wan spoke up timidly: "I thought we were going to..."

"Look for something to eat, yes," Qui-Gon said. "You go ahead, Obi-Wan. I want to look around a bit first."

Obi-Wan had a sudden wild urge to hug Qui-Gon, but he tamped it down quickly. He was much too old now to act in such an undignified way.

"Thank you, Master," he said calmly and quietly -- before tearing off to skirt the edges of the ruins, heading east. He could just see a grove of trees a short distance that way, and flocks of birds were fluttering around it energetically, chirping musically. Hopefully that meant they'd found a food sourc
  12. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    lovely update with the spiders liking Obi-Wan and his fruitsearch.

And can I have a PM next time please:)
  13. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Another excellent post.=D=

Obi-Wan was lucky that the spiders just snuggled up to him and didn't bite him.
  14. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    Ohhhh good chapter and really great way to end it. I really love how you're updating this a lot. Please keep going. You're a really great writer. oh and I'm glad Obi Wan got something to eat...lol
  15. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sure, no problem!

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck. [face_laugh]

Thank you. Yes, it's a good thing he found food, cuz you don't wanna see cranky Obi.:eek:
  16. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chapter 4

The Sanctuary of the Whills? Obi-Wan's head was spinning. Was this boy mad? Or had the Ancient Order of the Whills somehow continued to exist all this time, quietly hidden underground on an uncharted planet, just waiting for Qui-Gon to come discover it?

"Come on, we'd better go before more of the ceiling comes down," the boy said. "And the Keeper will be wondering what happened to you."

"We were expected?" Qui-Gon asked.

The boy began to lead them through the dark cavern, holding the lamp high so they wouldn't bump into the tree trunks or dangling fruit branches.

"Yes, we felt you coming as soon as you got past the security perimeter. But I think Elivo expected you to come through the front door. We're very good at sensing the now, but we're lousy at foreseeing the future." The boy laughed. "You're lucky I slipped away to get a snack and heard you fall in."

"The security perimeter -- the Ysalamiri, you mean?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Right. As I'm sure you've noticed, we put out a rather powerful Force-signature, and we have to neutralize it somehow, so we aren't found. Except by the right people, of course." Obi-Wan could barely see the boy's face in the dim light, but thought he might have just winked at them.

Obi-Wan became aware that they were walking toward another light source. Soon, he could see that it was sunlight shining between the trunks of the underground trees. They emerged through an archway and found themselves on a balcony overlooking the jungle below. Judging from the position of the sun, they were now on the far side of the mound. A few fruit-laden branches dangled in front of them; the grove of trees grew on the surface of the mound just a few feet above their heads. As their guide busied himself with extinguishing the light and hanging it up on a hook, Obi-Wan rested his hands on the elaborately carved wooden railing and looked down.

"Master, look at that!" he exclaimed. Qui-Gon leaned over to look, too.

There was another balcony below theirs. And another, and another, and another. They went down for hundreds of feet, all the way to the base of the mound. They could even see people standing on some of the balconies, looking as small as insects from this height as they hung clothes on the rails to dry.

"Is this a hill, or a city?" Obi-Wan breathed in amazement.

"Depends on if you're looking at the west side, or the east," said the boy from behind them. Turning, Obi-Wan saw now by the bright sunlight that the dark-haired boy was about his own age, and dressed in a simple green robe. "My name is Siddhari, by the way," the boy said. "What's yours?"

"I'm Qui-Gon Jinn, and this is my Padawan Learner-"

"-Obi-Wan Kenobi!" Siddhari finished excitedly, taking his first good look at Obi-Wan. "By the Force! I never thought I would get to meet you in person!"

"You've heard of me?" Obi-Wan asked, caught off guard.

"Of course. I wrote one of your stories."

Obi-Wan creased his brow in confusion. "Stories?"

Siddhari began walking along the balcony as it gently curved around, following the natural shape of the mound, and gestured for the two Jedi to follow him.

"I was assigned to watch Melida/Daan," he continued. "You were the one who finally stopped the war. I remember it very well, because you worked practically around the clock, and then when you finally did sleep, I had to stay up to record it all. I didn't get a decent rest for weeks. Oh, Obi-Wan-" Siddhari suddenly turned serious. "I'm so sorry about your friend, Cerasi. She was one of a kind, wasn't she?"

"Wait, wait a minute -- you were one of the Young? You're from Melida/Daan?" Obi-Wan asked, astonished. He could not remember ever seeing Siddhari before in his life.

"Oh, no. I've never been off-planet. None of us have. We prefer to watch from a distance. Here we are."

They had reached a spiral staircase that led up to the surface of the mound and also down to the next level below them. A middle-aged male Chiss, dressed in green robes like Siddhari's, stood waiting for them by the stairs. He stepped forward, a polite smil
  17. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    a very intriguing update with all those records of the past and paintings.

Like to see where it is leading. And thanks for the PM:)[face_dancing]
  18. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    This story is so realistice and your version is very good and a very interesting read.

Can you PM me when you update.:D
  19. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    It's like you have this all planned out! Wow, I'm really impressed. This is a really good story and you deserve more readers and comments. Please, do keep going. I'm really hooked.
  20. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    History is so fascinating, isn't it? I'd love to have a modern equivalent of the library of the Whills. :)

Thanks for your interest! I could swear I did PM you last time, but my PM folder says I didn't, so I must have typed your name in wrong or something. Sorry! [face_blush] I'll try again.

For this story, I actually did plan out the whole thing before posting my first chapter. Thanks for your comments! It seems like the Before the Saga board doesn't get as much feedback as The Saga board, or is it just me?
  21. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chapter 5

Siddhari led them through another maze of corridors and stairs in silence. Obi-Wan was dying to know what Qui-Gon thought of all this. He hung back a little to put some distance between them and Siddhari. "Master, do you believe in this 'cycle of souls'?" he murmured.

"I don't think anyone can say for sure," Qui-Gon said thoughtfully. "But I have encountered many beings in my travels, all of them unique. So many endless variations. My heart tells me that surely the Force is not reduced to... recycling old material."

"But what about the visions of the Whills? And their ancient records that document this 'cycle of souls'?"

"Visions can be misinterpreted. It could be they are watching the deeds of beings who lived in the past -- but that doesn't mean they share souls with them. And ancient records are easily misunderstood."

"But the Masters in the Jedi Temple are always teaching from ancient records. Like the Legend of Nomi Sunrider. She lived 4,000 years ago."

"I suppose it's possible we don't understand our texts as well as we should, either," Qui-Gon said. "After all, we also have the Prophecy of the Chosen One, which predicts the birth of one who will destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. But the last of the Sith were destroyed a thousand years ago, by many Jedi working together, not just one. The prophecy never came true."

Obi-Wan guessed they were near the base of the mound by now, judging by the number of staircases they had descended. Siddhari led them down a stone-lined corridor and through an elaborately carved wooden door that stood ajar.

"Here are the Jedi, Shaman, as you requested," he said respectfully.

For a bewildering moment, Obi-Wan thought the room was empty. Then he saw that a translucent green curtain, extending from ceiling to floor, was concealing part of the room. He could see through the curtain just enough to discern a massive tree trunk growing up through the floor and disappearing up into the ceiling. A lantern hung from one of the upper branches, illuminating the vague outline of a humanoid being, enthroned on a natural seat formed by a twist of branches.

Obi-Wan furrowed his brow as he caught the swirls of the Living Force that moved around that outline. It felt like... like...

The best comparison he could come up with was that it felt like being in the presence of Master Yoda. The Force waves emanating from that outline behind the curtain were just as powerful, and yet, different. They were... a different flavor.

"I have been watching you for some time, Qui-Gon Jinn."

Obi-Wan jumped, startled. The Shaman's voice was shaky, cracked. He couldn't see her features at all through the curtain, but she sounded as though she were a hundred years old.

"There are others in your Order who are powerful in the Force," the Shaman said, her outline shifting slightly behind the curtain, "but you... you are truly unique. You are more like us. You have mastered the Living Force. Tell me, does your Order honor you greatly?"

Qui-Gon didn't answer.

"No, of course they don't," the Shaman said after a long moment. She got to her feet slowly, her outline wavering and indistinct behind the curtain. "They do not understand the value of the now as they should. They rely too much on seeing the future. The future is always in motion, and can be clouded by those who devote themselves to the darker currents of the Force. The Jedi Order wastes your gift."

They could see the Shaman's outline as she stepped closer to the curtain, so close that the fabric stirred with her breath as she spoke.

"Our Order has perfected the art of seeing through the eyes of others, even from across the galaxy. With your empathy, Qui-Gon Jinn, you would make a formidable historian. You may remain with us, if you wish. You would be held in great honor here."

Standing in the back of the room, Siddhari shifted his feet, unable to hide his surprise, but Obi-Wan felt as though a rock had been dropped into his stomach. Was this why Qui-Gon had been so determined to find the Whills? Was this his pla
  22. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    So that's where Qui-Gon is getting his knowledge. Great=D=

And good to see him wanting to complete Obi-Wan's training.:)

Waiting for the next chapter of this well written story. I usually have a full outline ready when I am posting the first chapter and comments from readers will add details or more attention to certain characters.
  23. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    Well dannng! This is soo cool. I totally love this story.
  24. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for the PM.[:D]
    At least Qui-Gon didn't dump poor Obi-Wan yet.
    So now we know how he learnt about the whills, the Sharman is going to teach him.

Wonderful update.=D=
  25. ForceForGood Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've found it much easier to work with an outline already in place. And I do tweak a bit based on comments. See, you guys are helping me write my story! :)

[:D] [face_dancing]

No, he hasn't dumped Obi-Wan. And although it seems like he does do that in Episode 1, I choose to look at it this way: Qui-Gon concentrates on whoever needs him the most in that moment. Right now that's Obi-Wan. In about 10 years, another young boy is going to need him more. My two cents.[face_thinking]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.