The ships in the OT are MUCH cooler than those in AOTC or TPM

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by elfdart, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I like the brighter, fancier PT ships.
  2. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    shouldn't the end product matter more then the drawings?

"The ships in the OT are MUCH cooler than those in AOTC or TPM"

Count Dooku ship and Obi-Wan ship alone are better then any ship in the OT'S.
    COOL! :cool:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/delta7/img/movie_bg.jpg]

COOLER! :cool: :cool:
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_2/Starships/Solar_Sailor/aotc-solar_sailor_curve.jpg]
    COOLEST! :cool: :cool:
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_2/Starships/Solar_Sailor/aotc-solar_sailor02.jpg]
  3. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    GuittarJedi: "I'm so glad elf fart started this thread."

[face_laugh], lol I just noticed that.
  4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh, joy! A thread on ships in the OT vs. ships in the PT!

Before I saw TPM, while I was on my way to work, the radio station I was listening to played a 'review' of TPM by someone called 'Farell the Fed Ex guy.' No kidding!

He called Padme's ship, the Royal Nubian Cruiser, a 'shoehorn' shaped ship! LOL!

I like the ships in the PT, especially Obi-Wan's fighter. The Royal Nubian Cruiser looked very sleek! Not like a shoehorn at all.

The ships in the OT, especially in ANH, look different because GL didn't have the money for really expensive ships, at least until ESB. I love the Millenium Falcon, junk heap that she was! And the 'Fonzie' punch to get her started.

The Star Destroyers, i.e., the Imperial ships, look the same to me, tho, PT and OT.
  5. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "Are yodaschum and TokyoXtreme in love?

Let me ask you two trolls a question.

Which one of you "pitches" and which one of you "catches?" "

ever been banned melancholy? by your logic we can also assume that the lucas defenders are all involved in some giant homosexual orgy just because they agree on something. i look forward to your next ban and i hope it sticks this time.

"The ships in the OT, especially in ANH, look different because GL didn't have the money for really expensive ships, at least until ESB."

what in the hell does money have to do with how the ships look? its not like they have to go out and buy the real thing. the ships in the OT look different because they were designed to look used and worn. thats the whole point, and the thing that makes the OT technology and look unique and original.

this argument that lucas finally has the technology to do what he always wanted is hollow, as it doesnt take better technology to clutter up every inch of the screen with more ships, buildings, and creatures... just a lack of better judgement in how that technology is used.
  6. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    it doesnt take better technology to clutter up every inch of the screen with more ships, buildings, and creatures... just a lack of better judgement in how that technology is used.

Man, you guys are starting to sound like a broken record.
  7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Drevanz,

GL only had $10 million back in '77 to spend on the entire movie, special effects, cast and all. I meant he didn't necessarily have the money to hire really good designers/artists and now he does. Also, the computer technology back then was almost non-existent.

8. Darth-Schwartz Force Ghost

star 4
    ok why is it when i see yodascums posts i think of the comic book guy on simpsons (my avitar).

very selective in pt artwork choices buddy, he takes the best from the ot and the basic concepts from the pt. that called propaganda.
  9. Merkel Jedi Knight

star 1
    That choice of pictures was really very partial, Yodaschum. Really really really partial.
    The PT is, in my opinion, one of the greatest achivements of artwork in movies. Why didn't you put drawings of Theed, or Kamino or even Coruscant?
  10. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a TPM portfolio of awesome designs by Doug Chiang. The "Art of" books show that this guy has a lot of talent.

It's too bad he won't be coming back for Episode III.

As for the "where's the used look?" rant, did anyone bother to think that maybe there's a reason why a lot of ships, especially the rebels, would look like junk in the Empire era?

11. baggles Jedi Master

star 4
    What is the point of showing a preliminary 3d model by the computer guys and comparing it to a McQuarrie sketch???

I am waiting to hear how Geonosis and the Airwhales looked like crap...even though Ralphie designed those as well..
  12. Darth_Tarpals Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree, Merkel. Funny how you chose to use the best of the OT concept art, and the worst of the PT. :D

[image=http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~paradox/art/conceptxwing2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~paradox/art/slave1_1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~paradox/art/prequels/ep1_battle_droids.jpg]
    [image=http://www.artlandish.com/cac_battle.jpg]

Isn't it interesting, how what you pick effects the impression of all the art.
  13. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great example, Darth_Tarpals!

To be honest, if you put McQuarrie's work and Chaing's side by side, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. They are both damn good artists and both made terrific contributions to Star Wars. I'd say they both deserve our respect.
  14. Darth_Tarpals Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars was truly blessed by the talents of McQuarrie and Chiang, and with all it's concept artists in fact. They all do amazing work, and in my opinion, don't get enough credit for it.
  15. AT-TE Jedi Padawan

I would have to say the ships in the Original Trilogy are better than the ones in the Prequil Trilogy. My favorite ships in any movie are Imperial Class Star Destroyers.

1. Imperial Class Star Destroyer
    2. Executor and Avenger
    3. Home One
    4. Slave One
    5. Y- Wing
    6. X-Wing
    7. Trade Federation Battle Ship
    8. N-1 Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter
    9. Solar Sailer
    10. Tie Fighter/ Bomber/ Interceptor/ Defender

T here are so many other cool ships I could have listed like the A-Wing, and the Snowspeeder, but I didn't have enough room one my list.
  16. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    Are we forgetting someone very important, someone with the name of...
    JOE JOHNSTON!?!?

[image=http://www.malfunkt.com/jedi/johnston.jpg]

Notice the extra "T" in his last name. It's very important as well. Judging from this photo, Johnston was probably a skateboarder. Is there anything the guy doesn't do?

I thought this thread was created for the "trolls", to keep them out of the thread devoted to bashing The Evil Dr. Brin for having opinions on Star Wars films and George Lucas. But alas, we trolls have no refuge from the gusher tyranny, and their blatantly anti-homosexual attitudes.
  17. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    By the way, can anyone explain to me why the 14 y.o. Natalie Portman flies a silver SR-71? I've been wanting to know that one since 1999.
  18. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    What in blazes are you talking about?

Anyway, I think it's great that the ships in the prequel trilogy look so much better than the ones in the classic trilogy because it all fits in with the dark times brought on by the Empire.
  19. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    From the OS:

"Early designs for the Queen's ship included a sleek space yacht that was powered by a huge solar sail. When George Lucas instead opted for a sleek, chrome look, Design Director Doug Chiang turned to 1950s-style automobile hood ornaments for inspiration."

[image=http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/bibliography/sr-71.jpg]

"Look! There's Chancellor Valorum's shuttle. Looks like Senator Palpatine is waiting for us. He's going to be the new emperor in Episode III, Anakin."
  20. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    She gets the ship because she's the Queen of Naboo.
  21. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    Do her royal duties demand that Padme conduct high speed, high altitude aeronautical research and reconnaissance missions 85,000 feet above the surface of Naboo, at a sustained velocity of Mach 3?
  22. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    Last time I checked TPM, Padme never flew the ship.

Captain Obvious did.
  23. guittarjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Even the black and white sketches of the X-wing and Slave1 look cooler than the full color drawings in Darth Tarpels' post.
  24. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    This thread is ridiculous!

But fun. My two pennies are that Kenobi's Jedi ship is THE coolest ship in STAR WARS since the Falcon...which is THE coolest ship in STAR WARS.

I'm an OT Gusher AND a PT Gusher! And I'm shameless, folks! Shameless!
  25. Darth_Tarpals Jedi Master

star 4
    Even the black and white sketches of the X-wing and Slave1 look cooler than the full color drawings in Darth Tarpels' post.

I'm glad you enjoy pictures that look like they've been drawn with a magic marker, and dislike fantastic works of art. That statement proves my thesis, that most bashers are hypocrites.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an all around uber-gusher, just trying to prove that saying all the OT art is better than the PT art is pretty ignorant.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.