main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ships in the OT are MUCH cooler than those in AOTC or TPM

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by elfdart, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/republicgunship/img/bts_bg.jpg]

This the "bad" concept art of the PT, according to bashers.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/lambdashuttle/img/bts_bg.jpg]

This is the "incredibly cool" concept art of the OT.

Don't get me wrong, I love McQuarie's designs for the OT, but I agree with Darth_Tarpals that some people have a huge double standard here with their idea that all McQuarie designs are completely superior to Chiang ones. They're both equally great IMO. Try comparing the best of the PT with the best of the OT for a more fair comparison, yodaschum, rather than pick the best of one and the worst of the other and say it proves your point.

To demonstrate this, which is cooler?

[image=http://www.ralphmcquarrie.com/empart/paint/06.JPG]
    (to use one of yours)

or

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/republicgunship/img/bts_bg.jpg]

See? Equally cool.

2. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Bravo, Lord_Hydronium.
    It's my opinion that McQuarie's design styles are more similar to that of traditional sci-fi, while Chiang adds a more organic feel to his creations.

3. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Just another little something to remind everyone the OT desgins aren't perfect either.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/slavei/img/bts_bg.jpg]
    [face_laugh] I just had to post this!
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/tieinterceptor/img/bts_bg.jpg]

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Just a sidenote, the Gunship concept art you posted was drawn by Erik Tiemens not Doug Chiang, but I agree with you that its equally as good as McQuarries art.

5. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I was under the impression that the designs for the Slave I and TIE Interceptor were universally loved? We're really arguing design in this thread, and not the aesthetic value of the finished concept artwork? I don't expect McQuarrie and Johnston's early sketches of Boba Fett to hang next to Monet in the Musee d'Orsay.

6. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Good point Tokyo. We should be discussing the actual finished product not early concept drawings. So what ship designed by Doug Chiang is as cool and original as the millenium falcon? The answer is none.- X wing? Slave1? Tie fighter? None of Doug Chiang's ships even come close.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's almost criminal how much better the ships in the prequels are compared to the classc trilogy.

With it's organinc inspirations and smooth contoured shapes, everything in the prequels so far looks very artistic.

Contrast that with the utilitarian, straight edged, sharp angled designs of the classic trilogy, and you have the makings for some vastly different art styles to both trilogys.

Thank goodness it all fits in with a story of a galaxy that loses it's humanity when the evil Empire takes over.

So to recap, both design styles are appropriate for each trilogy, and after George redoes all the shoddy effects in the classic trilogy, there will be no denying the smooth artistic changeover from the Old Republic era to the Imperial era.

As an aside, Jar-Jar binks rules!

8. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    That tie Interceptor pic
    looks more like story boards then concept?

But any way the OT ship will always be SW to me. Don't get me wrong I like the PT designs
    Esp ATTE and the Gunship but for me they don't compare to the ATAT and Tie fighter/Xwing

9. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Thank goodness it all fits in with a story of a galaxy that loses it's humanity when the evil Empire takes over.

...and finally gets around to designing and producing some TOTALLY KICK-ASS SHIPS!!!

LUKE: Well Han, the Empire's crushed, so it looks like you can junk the Falcon and get one of those uninspired "turd-ships" they flew around in 40 years ago.

HAN: Are you out of your ----ING MIND!?

LUKE: Check it out. All the Jedi in the NJO are flying these silver SR-71s. Did you know it can sustain a speed of Mach 3 for over an hour? Unfortunately, the special fuel will evaporate if its left in the tanks. As it can only hold just enough fuel for takeoff; the craft must be refueled in mid-flight.

HAN: Chewie get us outta here!!!!

10. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Which trilogy has the coolest ships? The only way we can know for sure is to compare sales of SW vehicle toys circa 1977-1983 to the sales of the present. Nowadays, what sells more... the Trade Federation battleship toy, or the new TIE Interceptor?

What, you say there's no Trade Federation battleship toy? What about the Republic cruiser. Wait, they don't really hang out in space that much do they?

11. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    not to mention the "swoop bike"

12. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Great, another thread debating personal perference with each participant trying to "prove" that they have superior taste.

Personally, I like the design work in Star Wars. Period.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It's a shame that some people can only appreciate half of this incredible peice of art.

Must be limiting.

14. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Okay Go-mertonic and Durwood,let me rephrase the question. What ship designed by Doug Chiang in your opinion is as cool and original as the millenium falcon?

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I loved the Queen's royal starship, and the droid control ship. But I still love the Falcon the best out of the whole saga so far.

16. SoloStrider

SoloStrider Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    Do people still wear clothes and drive cars just like the ones that were around in the early 1970s?

Two of the cars I own are a 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S and a 1972 Dodge Challenger. FWIW, I get a lot more attention when I drive the Challenger than when I drive the Swan, so there are lots of folks that appreciate retro in real life, too.

17. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "Check it out. All the Jedi in the NJO are flying these silver SR-71s. Did you know it can sustain a speed of Mach 3 for over an hour? Unfortunately, the special fuel will evaporate if its left in the tanks. As it can only hold just enough fuel for takeoff; the craft must be refueled in mid-flight."

And that has what to do with the the artistic designs?

I also don't recal Jedi flying silver anything.

Jedi starfighters look like pizza, Han's ship looks like a hamburger. ;)
    Goes to show you the designers are very hungry.

All the artists and designers do a good job, IMO. But the concept drawings we see are usually not final, or finished. And you also can't give the artist 100% credit for them because GL also directs them to what he wants the final product to be.

And really, it's not exactly fair to compare a TF battleship to a Tie Intercepter.
    I agree, this thread is about bashing the PT and using propaganda to do so.

18. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    its not different thean comic art now compared to 20 yearsago. both are just as good "for the time" but years later it becomes dated. look at 80s comics compared to comics today.

19. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Jedi starfighters look like pizza, Han's ship looks like a hamburger.
    Goes to show you the designers are very hungry.

The TIE bomber was also called the hotdog!

20. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Actually it was the "double chili".

Go about your business.

21. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    What ship designed by Doug Chiang in your opinion is as cool and original as the millenium falcon?

The Millenium Falcon is one of a kind. It's the only ship in the entire saga that can be thought of as another character. No other ship can take that away from it, but I'm not looking for something to trump the OT designs before I dare to enjoy the prequels.

As for the ships I like from the prequels, I liked the Republic transport that was in the opening of The Phantom Menace. It had a very unique design that I wasn't expecting. The Naboo fighters are cool as hell, much prettier than the X-Wing fighter! Sort of like comparing a classic Jaguar to a work-horse Ford pick-up. I liked the look of the speeders in the Coruscant chase sequence, especially Zam's speeder. The spires on the front really gave it an elegant look.

But what the hell. It's all opinion anyway.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You know, the Naboo fighter is one of the coolest designs in the entire saga, PT and OT, so far. Does that mean I hate X, Y, and B-Wings? No way. They all helped add a little variety to each film.

I like them all. Still, the Naboo fighter is one of my favorites.

23. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    i like this 1

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/superstardestroyer/img/eu_bg.jpg]

24. Emi-Yan_Tetu

Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2001
    The designs in the PT are just as good as the OT, the only difference is that the new designs haven't had the time and exposure to permeate our psyche in the way the old classics have.

Some of my favourite designs of the PT:

N-1 Starfighter
    Naboo Cruiser (TPM)
    The Wing (start of AOTC - FANTASTIC!)
    Gunship
    Jedi Starfighter
    Solar Sailor

These ships, in my opinoin, really capture the characters and situations... perfectly!

Yodaschum: Is the arguement that they are different supposed to prove they are inferior?

TokyoExtreme: "Your focus determines your reality"... It would give you so much more credibility if you ever conceded that some aspects of the PT are in fact good.

25. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    TokyoExtreme: "Your focus determines your reality"... It would give you so much more credibility if you ever conceded that some aspects of the PT are in fact good.

This thread is about how the OT ships are MUCH cooler than those in AOTC or TPM. Didn't you read the title? And to think, a gusher started this thread. The Jedi Starfighter is the only design I think is halfway "cool". It's no A-wing though.

I should point out that opinions don't need credibility, that's why the ad hominem argument is a fallacy. If I was stating facts or research, then credibility would be a factor. That said, I'm sure we can both agree to enjoy Ewan's beard, the Slave I, and Natalie's nipples -- the true highlights of AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.