main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ships in the OT are MUCH cooler than those in AOTC or TPM

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by elfdart, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I wish It was real. I would like to live there.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's huge. See those little tiny buildings next to the pyramids? Those are the typical buildings we've seen thus far in the PT.

Now look at the Palace...

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Cool pic

Reminds me of those Aztec pyramids. Or the Egyptian ones

It would be so easy to get lost in there ...

4. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    NJO are the delusions of grandeur of a man on pot, who decided to write something, and slap the name "Star Wars" on it.

Which also is ispired and approved of by GL himself. If you don't like it don't read it. Simple as that, don't bash the people who enjoy reading it.

5. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    The NJO is showing that no ones invisncible...that the characters can't always get away no worse the wear.

6. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Yeah but still to kill of Chewbacca. :( It's just not the same. Also which is the palace the one in the front or the one in the far back.

7. steechmaster

steechmaster Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2002
    u ever stop to thinkthe reason the ships in the OT were so old and beaten up was due to the effects of the CLONE WARS?!

8. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    That could be ture. But we won't know on tell Ep 3.

9. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Just once TokyoXtreme, and Yodaschum I would like to see you two go in to a thread and not bash someone for liking AOTC or saying they just kiss up to GL. If you two and even DrEvazan don't like the PT don't watch them it is that simple.

From deep within SKULL SPIRE, the secret basher fortress:

Yodaschum! Get to your terminal ASAP! Long-range sensors have detected yet another Star Wars fan claiming to enjoy the prequels! By merciful heaven's thunder IT CANNOT BE! Quickly, my friend, bash those pathetic posters into astro-dust. I want to see their words no more! For as long as a single person on this Earth enjoys a single moment of TPM or AOTC, we must remain vigilant in our evil basher ways.

DrEvazan, we've got a situation developing over in "Continuity with the special effects = NONE!" Looks like a real mess in there, can you take care of it? It is perhaps a job larger than any one man or mutant. They just better watch themselves!

And now, what's this about only hurting the ones you love? Basher resources are being spread too thin! We must recruit more SW fans to our side, or lest our evil ways perish forever!

10. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    TokyoXtreme do you have any thing to say about the ships. That is what this thread is for. What ship do you like.

11. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    A ship I don't like teh B-wing.

12. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    u ever stop to thinkthe reason the ships in the OT were so old and beaten up was due to the effects of the CLONE WARS?!

From what I remember reading, the "old and beaten up" style was supposedly just the more-realistic way of building models of spacecraft and sets that included realistic details such as rust, dirt, scratches, and damage. Real-life objects have such things, and so did the equipment of the Star Wars universe. I think the X-Wing, Falcon, Star Destroyers, etc. look quite elegant and artistic. Nothing more so than the original Stormtrooper outfit maybe.

Also, I should note that both Joe Johnston and others really designed the 'worn' and final look of the films. Ralph gave the basic concepts, and in many of them the ships were just as 'smooth' as some of those in the prequels.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/captions/2002/09/img/caption64.jpg]

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the evil super-genius JOE JOHNSTON himself? This guy is such a complete badass! No wonder the OT designs were so hot! They had this guy building the suits and drawing the storyboards.

I agree with that in many cases the OT ships are just as artistic and elegant as the ships in the PT. I feel the deciding factor is that the OT designs appear more "inspired" and revolutionary. Every time I see the Naboo Royal Whatever, I think of a silver SR-71, and Padme wearing that bulky black G-suit.

Anyway, I think the only example of smooth and classy vessels we've really seen in the OT is on Naboo. The Republic, the Trade Federation, the Pod Racers etc. look just as broken down and used as anything in

Indeed, the podracers and much of the tech on Tattooine have that dirty and rusted out (realistic) appearance. Actually, I believe the correct description is "used". The OT craft looks like it is used, and has the appearance to prove it. The podracers look like they are used regularly, yet Padme's ship looked like it was on its maiden voyage... it reminds me of another space fantasy kiddie flick, one with a similar silver ship and the voice of Pee-Wee Herman...

There really hasn't been any previous depiction of royalty in the Star Wars universe, but shouldn't the maintenance bay / hangar look like actual maintenance and repair is going on? And what about Coruscant? Big cities are pretty filthy, but that city looked spotless. I assume they must have some kind of super trash-disposal scheme. And a great recycling plan.

13. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    The Outlander club looked a little less fancy than say, the Senate or the Temple.
    Also those Coruscant Taxis look pretty beat up.

14. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    NJO are the delusions of grandeur of a man on pot, who decided to write something, and slap the name "Star Wars" on it.

Couldn't you say GL was on pot too when he designed SW? It was a crazy idea back then too!!! The NJO has some shortcomings but overall it is a good series so please don't bash it!! :)

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "I feel the deciding factor is that the OT designs appear more "inspired" and revolutionary. Every time I see the Naboo Royal Whatever, I think of a silver SR-71, and Padme wearing that bulky black G-suit."

Yeah, every time I see Slave 1, I don't think of the street light Johnston based his design off of. I don't think the Falcon reminds me of the hamburger with a bite out of it like Lucas suggested to McQuarrie.

IT'S REVOLUTIONARY! [face_laugh]

16. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm not bashing it. But with no Chewbacca in it it's just not that same. Plus I have this fear that they may kill of Luke, Leia, Han or Lando. I just don't wnat to read it if that happens.

17. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    I wasnt talking about you I am sad they killed chewie too :_| But they cant kill han leia or luke GL wont let them and i dont think they are going to kill lando. :)

18. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    That's good. But one other thing I think after the 1st book in the NJO I think my love for the EU stopped. Maybe because it was going some where that I could not go maybe to me the EU SW stopped at the book where the Empire ended.

19. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "Yeah but still to kill of Chewbacca. It's just not the same"

But you said you WEREN'T reading the NJO, so what difference does it make to you? Just ignore it as others do, and let the fans enjoy the plot twists.

Anyway, back on topic...

My thoughts on the original question; many people say that the ships in the OT are cooler because they are beat-up...they look used, and that look IS Star Wars. But at the start of TPM, the galaxy was at peace (kinda) and beat-up freighters and whatnot would look out of place. Episode II saw a few beat up ships, and Episode III promises more, I presume.

20. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Thats how I would look at it.

21. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    Actually the empire ended in VOTF but thats another story for another day!!!

To actually finally answer the question my fav ships are tie interceptors, tie bombers, tie fighters, and a-wings from the PT I like the gunship!!!anyonenotice that the ballturrets are like mini death stars they have a few small lasers that join into a big one!!!! :D

22. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Actually the empire ended in VOTF but thats another story for another day!!!

In the EU, the Empire met it's demise in "Empire's End" 6 years after Endor. The Imperial Remnant was spawned afterward and continues to exist, even past VotF. I think you meant the war with the Imperial remnant was at an end.

But in the movies, one could infer that evil was destroyed in RotJ. :)

Anyway, I think that the ships in the OT are much more gritty and dark then the ships in the PT. I admit that the ISD is the coolest SW ship in my opinion bar none, but I like the PT ships' sleek designs.

23. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Me again I say Vader big ass ship in ESB along with the A-wing and X-wing.

24. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    Let's not forget the Mon Calamari cruisers from ROTJ. They had a very 'organic' look to them.

25. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    I also read EU , but since I read "Onslaught"
    and "Ruin" i stopped with NJO its a bad serie
    or i should say NJO really sux!

so I read "Cloak of Deception" at the moment and its really good written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.