JCC The shooting of Christopher Lane

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
  2. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Hi wocky,
    I just wanted to rile up the JC for my own amusement. Stop trying to have rational discussions. This isn't the Senate.
    Last edited by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 21, 2013
    CT-867-5309 and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  3. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    My heart did a flip as I read that too.

I've seen coverage of it, so it's not zero attention.
  4. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Are the kids' parents going to be punished in any way? Because this is clearly a result of bad (or nonexistent) upbringing.
    Last edited by Mar17swgirl, Aug 21, 2013
    Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  5. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    Kids who don't know ****, parents who don't know enough, a community that doesn't give a **** and a culture full up on guns. I'd say there's plenty of blame to go around and it may be better to think about solutions and prevention of this sorta thing rather than focus on punishment. Sending people to prison seems like it's not working if our goal is less murder.

And I have a hard time believing anyone would do it just because they were bored. That answer sounds more like I'm not telling or I thought I could get away with it when I try to translate.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    But that's what I'm saying - if there were serious repercussions for parents whose kids (minors) committed serious crimes, then maybe more parents would actually pay more attention to how they bring up their children. Because ultimately it's the parents' responsibility, to bring up their kids as decent people, not the responsibility of schools or the communities - they can only help.
  7. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Or American society is rotten?
  8. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    It takes more than one or two people to raise a decent human being. If it's ultimately just the parents who are held responsible then you might as well lock your kids in the basement 'til it's time for them to get a job.
    Last edited by Frank T., Aug 21, 2013
    Rogue_Ten and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. tom Chosen One

star 6
    yeah, if having your child turn into a sociopathic murderer who will likely spend the majority of his life behind bars is no big deal to you and isn't itself considered the most severe and damning of punishments, then something is so fundamentally broken in our families and communities that i can't really see the threat of some additional punitive measure fixing it.
  10. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Yes, I also think that collective punishment is an awesome idea. If we put a bunch of people in abject terror of suffering for crimes they had nothing to do with, then can we stop being passively smug and condescending in our assumptions about other people's lives, and start acting on it.
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    The Australian press is reporting that the murderers are gang wannabes.

Here
  12. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    OK so I don't know much about Oklahoma but a 50 minute response time? [face_flag] =D= Assuming the paramedic's dog, Skeeter, wouldn't git down from the driver's seat?

I'd like to hear from @Kimball_Kinnison, because more guns as Jesus intended?
  13. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    liked for "skeeter"

skeeter, git! git!
    Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I owe that to the late Bill Hicks!
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Ah yes, I love being reminded that in this country if you commit a serious crime as a minor, you can arbitrarily be tried as an "adult." Because that makes sense.
  16. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    Bill Hicks![face_love] (open)
  17. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    I know Eeth is just fishing for responses, but I just want to point out that yesterday a black secretary talked down a white gunman from shooting up an elementary school in Georgia.
  18. DarthTunick Arena Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  19. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Apparently Edwards father,the one treating it as a joke, says his son is innocent.
  20. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Wouldn't be the first time a group of teenagers erroneously admitted to murder.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I love the second my mom heard this story she blamed it on video games (she had no evidence other than the "We were bored line")...
    StarWarsZombie likes this.
  22. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    They haven't admitted erroneously, they have a confession from the driver.
  23. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Sigh. Here is a famous example.

I'm not saying these particular teenagers are innocent. They probably aren't. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for kids to admit to things they didn't do in the face of fear, police coercion, fatigue, their parents not lawyering up (the kid who confessed clearly did not speak to counsel), etc.
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Aug 21, 2013
  24. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    Especially in Oklahoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Williamson
  25. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Then you've come to the right place.

Sigh indeed.

So, what we've established:

White ( or half-white ) kills black? HATE CRIME.

Blacks kill white? NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG. And, you know, they might not have even done it. Me and O.J. are gonna find the real killers.
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Aug 21, 2013