main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The shooting of Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would phrase it that he has a habit of tending towards physical altercations, and reaching too readily for firearms. All of which tends to dissolve what cloud of ambiguity there is around the events that led to Trayvon Martin's death.

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I misread this post as coming from Vivec on my mobile app and was quite confused.

It doesn't resolve the ambiguity, and it doesn't negate the physical evidence consistent with Zimmerman's version of events.

But he needs to give up his firearms before he hurts someone else or gets himself into anymore trouble.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Exhibit A in mental health red flags. Get this guy off the streets for a bit. I'm just glad he's not my neighborhood watchman.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    So he needed to kill an unarmed skinny kid in self-defense last year to defend himself and now has to pull out a shotgun to defend himself against his pregnant, unarmed girlfriend. Not to mention he threatened and abused his ex-wife and ex-girlfriend. Not only is he a violence-prone lunatic, but he's a wimp. What a hero.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Jaysis...will someone please shoot this mother****** already?

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah the last thing we'd want is some white person to get shot.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So he's a gunoholic?

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Zimmerman: Yesterday was one of the greatest days of my life! Mary and I went skiing, we made a snowman, she touched my leg...
    Public: Okay. Kill him!

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

im just glad i dont have a "neighborhood watchman"

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That too.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Andy Borowitz: "Americans traumatized by repeated views of George Zimmerman's mug shot"

Alpha-Red and Obi-Zahn Kenobi like this.
  13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    You don't think maybe his current behavior is a reaction to being jumped by someone in the middle of the night, forced to kill him, then put through absolute hell for the next year and a half?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Middle of the night"?

Sanford, Australia.

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Wasn't it the late evening when he was killed? And in later winter so it was dark and had been?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Evening, he was going home to watch the Super Bowl with his father.

And I thought you were being sarcastic but..."forced" to kill him? Mmmmkay.

17. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Just looked up - the sun had been set for half an hour and it was raining. It was dark out but not totally night. My mistake.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm presenting Zimmerman's point of view. His account of events was reasonable and has never been contradicted by evidence. Eyewitness testimony confirms his account as well.

It's not unreasonable to think that all the things that have happened to Zimmerman since that night have caused this paranoid behavior of his, rather than the behavior being evidence of a violent disposition at the time of Martin's killing.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Unless someone else covered his hand on the gun and pulled the trigger for him, he was not "forced" to kill anyone. I'm sure he likes that excuse though.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Trayvon Martin was killed at 7:16 PM, after the sun had been set for less than one hour.

So, no. Not really the "middle of the night" at all.

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    So if someone has been beating your head against concrete, is going for you gun, and saying they're going to kill you, what exactly are you forced to do to keep yourself alive? It's a perfectly reasonable use of the word.

I previously corrected that. But this is a silly point to dwell on.

R2-DK likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Kick him in the crotch and run like hell.

Or maybe...just maybe...not act like some sort of Wild West ****ing vigilante by chasing the guy down in the first place.

I stand by my statement. Zimmerman wasn't "forced" to do ****.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Kind of hard to do when you can't land any blows and they're straddling you, but I agree with you that Zimmerman should not have been chasing Trayvon down.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How about we look at it from Trayvon Martin's point of view? Obviously he isn't around to tell his side of the story, but we know that he felt threatened by this creepy guy who was following him, and we know that he had no history of violent behavior up until that point. So, it's not unreasonable to assume that a confrontation broke out between these two individuals and turned into a physical brawl...a fight in which Martin would have justifiably believed he was the one being attacked. If Martin felt his life was threatened by this unknown assailant, then he would have been justified in beating that assailant's head against the concrete if that's what it takes to defend himself...and moreover if he saw that this assailant had a gun, he would have been more than justified in trying to take that gun so that it could not be used against him.

Lastly, if I'm right about Zimmerman doing something stupid to initiate the confrontation, then do we expect this guy to be forthcoming in his role in starting it? Obviously this is speculation, and perhaps it doesn't meet the jury's standard for conviction, but I'd say the most likely scenario really involves Zimmerman being at fault for triggering the fight and therefore being at fault for Martin's death.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The truth is that by merit of their one month late start, relevant evidence (physical especially, but applicable to all types) was of pretty degraded quality. This makes it very hard to make firm judgments about what happened. However, in some sense their irrelevant. Most of the substantiated elements of Zimmerman's accounts were never really under dispute: the two got into a fist fight, he shot Martin, etc.

The real questions are precisely about motive. Who was the aggressor? Did Zimmerman bully a child, or did a belligerent young man, angry at being frightened, circle back with an intent to harm? Was Zimmerman's life under threat at the time he pulled out his gun and used it? Etc. A substantial element in all this is the context provided by an assessment of each participant's character. In this case, even before the Martin incident Zimmerman had seen legal action for getting into fights with a police officer, had a restraining order placed against him, and had been compelled to take anger management classes. I'm not inclined to attribute his recent behavior to his post-trial life because it is pretty much the same sort of thing he was doing before he ever saw Trayvon Martin.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I love that this has started back up again.