main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Shooting Scripts

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chaotic_Serenity, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    As I'm sure most here are aware, the shooting scripts are the final versions of scripts that are to be shot for a movie or television series. However, as I'm sure most of us are aware, there are still plenty of changes that are made as the story is physically implemented and acting/technical limitations are found.

I was just reading through some of the shooting scripts for the original trilogy, and I was more than a little surprised at just how different some of the scripts for the OT were from how the movies actually turned out. So my question is, upon looking over these, are there any changes that were made in the movies from the scripts that you would've liked to have seen left in? For example, while reading through ROTJ's, I noticed that Lando wasn't originally supposed to survive the Death Star's explosion. I actually thought that was rather interesting and wouldn't have minded seeing it.

Oh, and here are the links to a few of the scripts:

http://www.bus.miami.edu/~jdavis/Starwars/sw-script.html
    http://www.bus.miami.edu/~jdavis/Starwars/esb.html
    http://www.bus.miami.edu/~jdavis/Starwars/jedi.html

And this one has a couple of others versions, including the really early ones:

http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/scripts.htm

[Please, please, PLEASE do not turn this into a bash-fest in any manner. This is just a post on interesting "what-if" ideas within the saga.]

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Please, please, PLEASE do not turn this into a bash-fest in any manner. This is just a post on interesting "what-if" ideas within the saga.

Which actually belong in the STAR WARS SAGA forum.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Are those really the shooting scripts? Because I've seen them before, published in books, and they weren't marked as the shooting scripts, just as the published scripts.

4. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Okay...after perusing the ESB script, it either can't be the actual shooting script, or lots of people have been lying about how the film was made. There's a few moments in this script -- Han putting his hand over Threepio's mouth, and Han's line "I know" as he's being frozen -- that have always been said to be improvisations, and not a part of the original script. Kerschner's always said that the latter came from a long day's shooting and frustration with the original line of "I love you too" or "You remember that, because I'll be back!" to Leia's declaration of love.

Either this stuff is fan-made, or Kerschner's been lying all these years. Neither would surprise me all that much.

5. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    It's a fan script. The writing style is too poor.

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    So I gave the wrong link, I apologize. I was scanning through links and just picked one up.

As for the question of which forum it belonged to, I assumed Saga meant spanning the PT to the OT, and since this was particularly centralized on the OT, I set it here.

Feel free to shut the topic down.

7. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    The scripts at starwarz.com are particularly interesting. The script for TESB on that site has alternate dialogue for the "I love you" - "I know" scene. However, the more interesting one is the Revenge of the Jedi draft attributed to Lucas, I assume before it was revised by Kasdan. It has multiple Death Stars, a much more open rivalry between Palpatine and Vader, Kenobi and Yoda joining Luke in the fight against the Emperor, and the appearance of the Imperial capital then known as Had Abbadon. An interesting read if you've got the time, but I much prefer the released version of RotJ.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    This often happens with scripts while they're being filmed. Unless the writer is hellbent on the production following the script to the letter, then the director and the actors will occasionally allow for small modifications here and there. However, if the writer is involved in the post production and doesn't like it, then the scenes may end up on the cutting room floor or they'll be reshot to satisfy the writer/editor/what have you.

Last minute re-writes are also something which happens quite often, and those are pretty straight forward.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    For example, while reading through ROTJ's, I noticed that Lando wasn't originally supposed to survive the Death Star's explosion. I actually thought that was rather interesting and wouldn't have minded seeing it.

I thought that was shot down as a rumor? :confused:

Anyway, I thought the only things different in the shooting scripts was dialogue changes. I know in the "Annotated Screenplays", they have all the dialogue that was changed stared in the ANH script to show how they improvised on the set and how much changed from the script that was originally made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.