main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Silver Linings Thread: things you unironically love in stories you hate

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vthuil, Aug 23, 2015.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    God Dark Empire 2 (and the whole series in general) is just awful but I love it.

I unironically love Dark Empire in an ironic way

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't know what that means

IG_2000 likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I enjoyed the recipes in the Wookiee Cookie SW cookbook, but I felt the overall plot was generally lacking. And while the sequel was advertised to feature Darth Maul, I don't think his return was adequately explained. I will give them credit for the Panakacakes, however, since that was an unexpected twist. Who knew the Panakacake was a lie?

4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
  5. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Didn't like Heir to the Jedi but the little bits where Luke learned tidbits about Anakin Skywalker were cool, and the fact that it sort of began to explain how it is the Luke knew how to build his own lightsaber before ROTJ.

I also really didn't like Aftermath, but I did like Sinjir, and I thought some of the interludes were fascinating. Would love to read full stories based off some of those. I'd even be okay with Wendig writing them. I actually didn't mind his writing style at all, like a lot of people did.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I liked the Battlefront Twilight Company preview in Dark Disciple.

Vthuil, Swood, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    But it isn't uncommon in fiction for it to look like there is going to be a reversal near the end of the story even if it ultimately goes the way you expected. It gives a dramatic moment of finally overcoming the issue once and for all, rather than it just being a gradual process.

And for that matter, there was a way to end the story with her remaining a Sith without undermining her arc (and for that matter Ben's arc and if you squint really hard Luke's arc).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This guy wins the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Of course he does. Everyone else had already had their turn.

Speaking of the DE series, I really don't care for it, but I love the art. There's some fantastic design in there, both of tech and locations, and some neat character designs. And Nar Shaddaa is maybe my favorite location in the EU. I like the Battle of Mon Calamari. I like the spooky atmosphere. I like the concept of Byss. Eclipse looks amazing. I like Kam Solusar. It's just that the writing and the story aren't there.