main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The simple things in life Shmi/Cliegg fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Hananiah, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

Title: see above.
    Summery: A couple of days in the life of Shmi Skwalker Lars and Cleigg Lars
    Disclaimer: I own nothing

The meeting

Shmi Skywalker shifted the bag from one shoulder to another, life as a slave made her strong but she was growing older now and Ani was no longer there to help her.
    Tiredly she wiped sweat from her face as she trailed dutifully after Watto, his wings flapping so hard they were barely more then a blur. Shmi hated going to market with Watto, hated the bartering and the leering and the crookedness of her master. She was glad that Ani did not have to go through this, he was young he would get over his life on Tattoine but for Shmi it would be forever on her heart.
    Distratced Shmi found some cloth, a bright lilac in colour, as a slave Shmi had never seen anything so pretty before, forgetting Watto Shmi gently stroked the fabric between her fingers. The merchant, human but with beady, ugly eyes glared at her, knowing her station "I don't want your kind touching my things" as if she were a bug to be swatted he clicked his fingers "Shoo, shoo"
    Abashed Shmi backed away but stopped when someone grabbed her arm, firmly but gently. It was a man, her age, the Tattoine suns had battered his face and he looked gruff, but underneath it Shmi could see a genlteness. He glanced at her worridly "Are you okay Ma'am?"
    she nodded as the man turned to the merchant "You owe her an opology" he stated which caused the merchant to burst into laughter
    "I don't apologize to slaves"
    Shmi's face went red, normally not intimidated but she was alone, her little Ani gave her strenghth and he was gone now.
    The man rolled his eyes and turned Shmi away
    saying loudly over his shoulder
    "You don't need any of that trash"
    when they were out of earshot, the man let go of her arm "My name is Cliegg Lars, I am sorry for that,"
    "It's okay I'm used to it" for some reason she didn't ever want to see Cliegg sorry for anything.
    "You shouldn't have to be. Slaves are people, but no one ever listens to me, so what is your name?"
    "Shmi"
    Cliegg's face broke out into a smile "That's a lovely name" his expression soured as he saw Watto approaching, Shmi sighed she could do without dealing with Watto now, she wanted to continue to speak with Cliegg, this gentle kind man, who thought slaves were people.
    But she couldn't, quickly she shook his head, surprised to find his rough, callous hands were gentle He ignored Watto compleatly and said "It was a great pleasure meeting you Shmi"
    Shmi nodded "And you too Cliegg"
    she felt as if she had a secret now, against Watto, she could hold this moment when Watto was bossing her around, yelling at her, she could hold Cleigg Lars in her head, even though she would probably never see him again
    She was wrong
    TBC

2. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    This was a very good start. Some people have that indescribable 'thing' for capturing feeling and for describing surroundings in a way that flows, that gives just enough detail but not so much as to be a distraction. I don't know if that made much sense but you have that 'thing'.

I do look forward to more. :)

lordmaul13

3. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

Thank you for your kind words, i did get what you meant and as a writer that's great to hear!!

This is a little bit of mush for those who miss the lost art of courtship

Shmi wiped the table with a cloth, her movements quick and deft if not as graceful as they had once been. Tiredly she emptied the last of the juice into a container and stored in in the fridge, ever since Watto had been snubbed by Lars he had been in a terrible mood, but Shmi could not be upset, she had never met a man like Cliegg, he thought of her as a human being, she was lost in her thoughts when she heard Watto's grevlly voice calling her name, she surpressed a sigh, he probably had more accounts and things for her to sort out,reluctantly she moved away from the shade of the kitchen and into the harsh tattoine light, she was surprised when she saw Cliegg standing beside Watto
    Shmi looked worridly at Watto and Cliegg understood her hesitation, she was used to Watto's tricks. Watto himself looked a cross between amused and beweildered "He wants to walk with you" he said to Shmi
    Shmi was sure she had walked in on a dream "Pardon?" she managed to stutter
    Watto rolled his eyes at her stupidity "He wants to walk with you"
    "If I may" Cliegg said, Shmi looked from her master to the man before her, silently asking. Watto sighed and nodded.
    Shmi felt like a little girl again as she hurried to take of her pinifore.

One good thing about Tattoine was the sunsets Shmi thought, she loved watching the suns set and the sky drenched in orange light, giving the illusion of peacefulness.
    She walked with Cliegg Lars into the dessert proper outside Mos Esley, they walked in silence, not uncomfortable at all Shmi found, comforting, her arm rested comfortably in his, she had been surprised that Cliegg had asked her where she would like to go, no one had ever asked her opinion before and certainly no man.
    Cliegg had talked off his life and his son, and Shmi felt an ache inside and immeadialty thought of Ani she told Cliegg expecting him to laugh at her motherly instincts but instead Cliegg nodded his agreement "Yes, I always feel it when Owen is gone, even a little ways it is hard on any parent to lose their child." He gently manuveered her over a rough patch and they sat upon a snall dune "But you did what was right for Anakin, he deserved to be free, it is every mother's wish"
    Shmi nodded, feelings stirred in her she didn't understand, she was certain she was falling in love with Cliegg
    "And you do too Shmi" Cliegg added, looking straight into her eyes, Shmi laughed "My life has always been as a slave, I will die as one"
    "You don't deserve that life Shmi" Cliegg protested "No one does"
    Shmi leaned her head on her knees that she had pulled up to her cheast, smiling sadly at her companion "But you cannot change the course of my life my friend, my station or my condition"
    Cliegg wrapped his larger hand in his much bigger one
    "I'll see about that"
    Cleigg wrapped Shmi in a blanket he had brought, wrapping in firmly about her shoulders and she willingly snuggled into his shoulder.
    At last she had found peace, the hole Anakim had left could not br replaced but she felt like she waa happy.
    And she had Cliegg Lars to thank for that.

4. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    On three everybody.

Three.

Aaawwwww. :p

Seriously that was very good. :) And you know that 'thing' I just talked about? You haven't lost it. :)

lordmaul13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.