main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Simpsons trashing Star Wars- "Cosmic Wars"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Billy_Dee_Binks, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    First we had that episode with Mark Hamill as a guest where convention alien guys called C-3PO and R2-D2 gay robots. I thought it was kind of funny and rather harmless.

Now we have already come to Season 15 where we see one episode making fun of TPM in a way I think right out sucks. They called it "Cosmic Wars: The Gathering Shadow".

Here are a number of things that are wrong about this episode:

1) Making TPM look boring. Back then it was intense, remember?

2) Turning Jar Jar into a steriotype character- Raggy alien with a bong. That idea probably came from some idiot who also claims GL is using rasism in the PT.

3) Lisas impersonation of a Wookie roar. IT WAS SO WRONG AND EMBARRASSING TO WATCH. I thought it was so out of Lisas character.

4) That whole ***** about the originals being timeless classics. The PT is timeless too but you need to give them time to make them appear timeless. Also, GL is a great storyteller, maybe the best. I can't name any other storyteller who uses such classic genres.

5) Bashing Lucas' CGI usage. Come on. Without SW there would be no SE industry now. Why don't people allow the movie that reinvented special effects to have more CG than any other movie. It does not ruin the story at all as some say it makes it more amazing.

6) Overall bashing of the PT. Also, this is FOX?? Why does Fox bash one of their most successful movies?

The Simpsons lost me after Season 10. I understand the irony as someone who defends the PT bashes the newer Simpson seasons but I am pretty sure there are more Simpsons fans that bash the show than there are SW fans who bash the PT- in a percentage of course.

IMO, the Simpsons have gone downhill after Season 7 and I am really amazed how they try to be hip. Every new show has a new celebrity voice guest, Volkswagen Beatles on the streets, all the characters are turning homosexuall or into really flat one liner cartoon figures (unlike what we saw in the beginning where the characters were really original).

Also there was another episode in season 15 about Hollywood where they showed a Star Wars poster. Someone should tell them Lucas was always against Hollywood so why include that.

P.S.: I know you might argue with, "Don't be so picky, it's just fun" or whatsoever but it just made me angry how a, IMO, now crappy show uses comments from redundant critics and media people to bash another classic.

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    ? Calm down

? The 'Cosmic Wars' story is old news, the Sw sections were available for download weeks ago.

? Calm down

? If the creators didn't like Star Wars, they wouldn't reference it, what would be the fun for them otherwise?

? The Simpsons isn't 'crappy' despite your feelings about it going 'downhill'. Although obviously that is also an opinion.

? Calm down

? I love Star Wars and I can handle people who criticise it. People have said a lot worse, at least this is fun-poking from people who have the background knowledge. When some third-rate sitcom does a SW skit with Mr. Spock in it, then you can call them all you want.

? Don't watch it, then.

:) {||||| ?||} -----------------------------

3. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    1.The simpsons is good

2.The simpsons have had loads of star wars clip things

3.It was ages ago

4.I dont think it is taking the mick out of star wars, more paying homeage alot of people dont like TPM but there are aloads of good things in the simpsons about star wars

5.I forgot what I was writing in that one above about half way though

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Dude, they were just having a laugh - I loved it!

Groening and the team are all big Star Wars fans, and like Blackout said, they reference it all the time.

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yes, calm down a bit.

Well, it can be at times with the senate and what not.

2) Turning Jar Jar into a steriotype character- Raggy alien with a bong. That idea probably came from some idiot who also claims GL is using rasism in the PT. That argument was around for a while, ever since the movie came out. I doubt GL was being rascist, but there is that case.

3) Lisas impersonation of a Wookie roar. IT WAS SO WRONG AND EMBARRASSING TO WATCH. I thought it was so out of Lisas character.

Okay, it's a cartoon.

4) That whole ***** about the originals being timeless classics. The PT is timeless too but you need to give them time to make them appear timeless. Also, GL is a great storyteller, maybe the best. I can't name any other storyteller who uses such classic genres.

Um, that's because the OT is a timeless classic, and the PT is not.

5) Bashing Lucas' CGI usage. Come on. Without SW there would be no SE industry now. Why don't people allow the movie that reinvented special effects to have more CG than any other movie. It does not ruin the story at all as some say it makes it more amazing.

Yeah, there would be CGI, even without star wars. Something like Star Trek would probably take SW's place and we'd still have it.

6) Overall bashing of the PT. Also, this is FOX?? Why does Fox bash one of their most successful movies?

Cry me a river. The PT isn't nearly as good as the OT, although it is enjoyable to watch. Besides, IT'S A CARTOON!

6. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    Um, that's because the OT is a timeless classic, and the PT is not.

How do you know/measure that?

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The OT also recieved bad reviews when they came out.

8. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Thats was the worse cosmic wars ever! im only seeing it three more times-- today.

9. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    :::looks at time table for 2005:::

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The OT also recieved bad reviews when they came out. But it got a lot more good ones than the PT got.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    I know the Simpson did a lot of SW referenced and I love them (especially Mr.Burn's Imperial Theme). I just think that the dumb steriotype bashing about the PT sucks especially when it's made by a show that is said to struggle with negative comment about new stuff as well.

P.S.: Saying the PT is not timeless shows how ignorant you are as you can't know. Afterall, Ep III isn't out yet and I wouldn't make such a judgement until a few years after the PT is closed.

Also, I love the Simpsons but IMO there are more bad seasons than there are good. I think the Simpsons were one of the smartest cartoon shows out there until season 10.

12. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    P.S.: Saying the PT is not timeless shows how ignorant you are as you can't know.

Erm, let's keep this civil, kids. :)

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

13. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003

That bit was kind of odd. None of the Senates scenes have been that lengthy. Considering the main baddy uses politics to manuever into position it could've been a lot more senate scenes.

2) Turning Jar Jar into a steriotype character- Raggy alien with a bong. That idea probably came from some idiot who also claims GL is using rasism in the PT.

no comment

Lisa's character is annoying anyway.

All I'm saying is a I like the Star Wars saga.

Actually Tron was the 1st movie to utilize CG IIRC. It's true though that movies in general benefited from the FX break throughs ILM came up with for Star Wars but someone would've done it eventually if it hadn't been ILM and GL.

The Simpsons make fun of Fox. Why would Fox bash itself? Because it's funny and the jokes sell a comedy.

My biggest problem w/the episode is that it is so late. TPM came out in 1999 why are they just now making fun of it? Also the jokes overall were forced and lame however, that's a problem with the current Simpsons seasons. They're stale. The new episodes lack imagination and cohesion. The jokes are flat and uninspired. As Stan Marsh put it "They've been on for like 13 years. Of course they've done it. The've done everything" so it makes sense.

14. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I thought it was pretty funny myself. Plus, I still get a kick out of "The Springfield Files" episode where Chewie is wearing a t-shirt that says, "Homer Is A Dope" while singing in a circle around a camp fire with Mulder, Scully and Leonard Nemoy.

15. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    It was a funny episode. I loved the roll-down bifocals for the AT-AT, and of course Yoda's dark and menacing "Tabled, this motion is.....or IS IT?" Heh.

Star Wars has always been subject to outside humor and parody, it's just usually it is a lot more reverent and loving. But when it comes to TPM, well...reasonable minds obviously differ.

And I think this episode is "late" because they probably got new writers who had some TPM issues to work out. But that's just a guess.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>) Making TPM look boring. Back then it was intense, remember?<<

They were making fun of the wording in the opening scroll for the most part and how it wasn't quite as exciting as one would expect for a SW film ("taxation of trade routes", "congress of the republic", etc)

>>2) Turning Jar Jar into a steriotype character- Raggy alien with a bong. That idea probably came from some idiot who also claims GL is using rasism in the PT.<<

They were making light of the accusation itself (which was prevailant around TPM's release) - thus the Italian chef.

17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    I know they did make fun of the steriotype accusion with the Italian chef.

18. TempusFugitive

TempusFugitive Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2003
    Hmmm... funny how it didn't even occur to me that the episode was offensive to Star Wars fans. For years, the Simpsons has poked fun at everything it could, right down to Fox and Rupert Murdoch himself.

I thought it was obvious that they were taking harmless shots at Star Wars, AS WELL AS the majority of the criticisms of the PT that we've all heard.

There's plenty to parody out there, and the Simpsons does it often. In fact, I say it's an honor to have Star Wars as big a target as it was in that episode.

After all, they could just as easily done one about an aging Sci-Fi TV show that has gone through far to many incarnations... the latest of which is barely going through the motions. ;)

EDIT: Typos

19. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Where can I download these star wars clips.

Thta season has not came to Australia yet I think

20. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    I was availble for download here (on the front page of TF.net) about a month ago.

I know they are honoring SW but in case of this episode they try to convince GL that the PT is bad, which is pretty stupid.

21. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I found one but I can not get it to work.

Here is the link.

clip1

clip2

22. MasterLewster

MasterLewster Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2003
    "Thats was the worse cosmic wars ever! im only seeing it three more times-- today."

Hey. thats in my sig! 8-}

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Saying the PT is not timeless shows how ignorant you are as you can't know.

Um, the PT isn't as good. Acting, plotwise, characters, all better in the OT, not the PT. I'm not saying that the PT is horrible, it's just not as good as the originals.

24. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    PT is far worse than the Simpsons. Acting, writing, everything but the special effects are IMHO second rate in the PT so far, and it's about time somebody had the guts to put the truth out there. [face_plain]

25. AJW73

AJW73 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2004
    I actually saw the whole Cosmic Wars bit as a spoof of how many haters were bashing TPM, which I thought was one of the best Star Wars movies. Anyways, I think that whole episode should've focused mostly on the Cosmic Wars instead of Homer and Marge's stupid drinking binge. Or it could end with Randall Curtis re-releasing Cosmic Wars, but it would be a more fanboyish version, with some obvious imitations of other popular movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.