main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Sims! (all versions)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Jan 15, 2011.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So, I couldn't find a Sims3 thread that wasn't locked and I'm really quite addicted to it, so I thought I'd start a thread. I thought it'd be good to have a thread where we can discuss all things Sims and share things we've made. I'll also try and post exciting news that might be of interest to other Sims players.

To get things going, I'd like to share a few things.

This nifty car that I really like is free and comes with energy saving stuff too!

I also made this pattern. :)

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I get into it and out of it. Currently out. I spend more time downloading stuff and hacking the game rather than playing :/

I have some great memories from playing it though.

That is a great pattern! I never got into the making stuff, not artistic enough

3. Kitty1

Kitty1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2009
    I love the pattern! :D I just don't know how to make anything for the sims2. I think I have all of them.

I'd play the Sims3 to see if I like it, but I can't run it. :( It's the part when you do get to play with the person you just made.

Now my sister wants to get it for the xobx360. Some times I'm not sure what to do with her. She already has all of the 1st sims.

4. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I bought the original brand-new way back in 2000, and in all probably played it about half a dozen times - fun, but the novelty wore off. Never bothered with the series since.

My younger sister, on the other hand, fell instantly in love with the game and has been playing each game in the series (plus add-ons) for the last decade. At least she got something out my initial investment. :p

(curiously though, she's currently playing the 2nd game even though she has the 3rd - apparently she can't be bothered buying all the expansions all over again for the 3rd game so is just sticking to it's predecessor)

5. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Sims 2 and especially 3 have a goal system to keep you going if you are a "beat the game" kinda player

Sims 2 + 8 add-ons + 10+ stuff packs is a ridiculously huge game. +hacks and +downloadable stuff is even more. If you like playing with little dollies there's infinite variety.

I saw it just came out for Xbox and PS. I'm interested to know if it works. Can't imagine it without a mouse.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    So, I picked up the third one and its multitude of the expansions the other day now that Steam is stocking them (wasn't expecting that little surprise). Very, very entertaining. Half the fun is letting them run loose on their own free will and seeing the weird stuff they do (six bedroom house, eight residents, they all end up trying to get in the same one). The other half, which I just figured out today, is crafting a coherent story by means of intentionally setting up a scenario and then capturing it with screenshots. Time-consuming, but the result is actually pretty impressive. And getting there is an amusing path on its own. Turned what was formerly someone's basement apartment...into the city jail.

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I had this unfortunate incident once. My female sim was getting flirty with a male sim in public. They ended up making out and being intimate so I thought I'd move them back to her house where it'd be private. They got there and he immediately started refusing her and even got creeped out. :_| [face_laugh] :_|

Sims on the DS works ok without a mouse as it has the touch screen. I'm guessing it works on consoles in a similar to the way FPS with one of the sticks being used to control the cursor like in an FPS a stick is used to replace the mouse. I can't say as I've never played it on either the 360 or the PS3.

I have a question though. Does anyone know how to 'unpack' the download files? I'm guessing they work like archive files and contain files in a folder structure to be copied into the game folder, but I don't know how to open them. I only ask because I have some US promo stuff but it won't work with my UK copy.

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    played the original on the xbox, and it worked fine. almost easier, actually, but i figure it'll be fine on the new systems too.

9. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    what is the file extension on the files you have? And are you talking about Sims 2 or 3?

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Got a question about The Sims 2, since it's the only one I have and it's just about my wife's only form of gaming: what's the easiest way to backup your gamesave data? My current PC has had to be reformatted about 3 times now due to virus attacks and we simply have had no chance to backup her neighborhoods and families, which bums her out considerably. I'm running it on WinXp with Service Pack 3. Could I just backup the entire Sims 2 folder in a flashdrive? Your hints will be greatly appreciated.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    This. Every time I hear elevator music I get nostalgic flashbacks to the original.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's for Sims 3, and I can't remember the file extension of hand.

I think it's just a case of copying the folders across. I don't know if the save games are in the game folder or not but you should be able to find it and then copy that too.

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    i love the sims. Ever since I got my christmas computer I've been playing Sims 2+all Eps except Pets and the two stuff packs I have(could not find Pets discit when I was installing the exp. packs......then I found the missing disc after the fact) and Sims3 + Ambitions (only Ep I have). One time with my old computer I tried making Anakin and Padme and having them have twins....usually it didn't work out right....it was either both boys or both girls or the twins had the wrong hair colors.

as for downloads, there is a way to install the files.....if it has the .simd3pack extension (I think) it can be installed automatically with the sims 3 screen and installer. if its other custom content, you extract it to the downloads folder. if its hacks, create a separate folder called Mods and place that....

For Sims 3 it would be C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages
    make sure you have a file called resource.cfg if you have mods/hacks from ModTheSims. This may apply to all hacks/mods

One of my favorite sims 2 custom content sites closed a few years ago. I really liked it and still miss it because the girl who ran it made custom nursery sets for sim babies.

Hope this helps!

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I love playing The Sims 2 for pc, and have been playing it off and on for a few years now. I haven't had the chance to play the third version yet, mainly because I fear that my computer wouldn't be able to handle the game. I hope to get a new computer this year, before I check out the third game to ensure a good performance for playing it.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Jedi_Liz: thanks but I've given up on installing the stuff. I've tried everything I can think of and if just doesn't want to work.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I want to build a house in the Sims 3 but I don't want to play with a family or anything else, I just want to build a house. Any ideas how?

17. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    They way I did it was to create a family and as soon as the game starts use one of the cheats to add money. Then just go into build mode and go for it.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Awesome. I think I'll need to do some serious planning on the house though. Every house I make looks like poo. :(

Also, I have a question. I got an email from EA saying that if I preordered Generations then I'd get Outdoor Living Stuff for free. I'm not sure it's worth, though I do want both and free stuff is always good. [face_thinking]

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I did preorder Generations, but I kind of got carried away with Sims3 on the 360. [face_worried]

I'm curious to see if anyone can help me with this. Game.co.uk where I get my games from normally has Sims3 Pets for the 360 as needing Kinect. Can anyone find any info on this? I really want Pets but not if it means having to get Kinect as well.

20. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'd like pets, but what does Generations have?

I recently started a new family and they had twin baby girls. Hoooo boy, the dad had to quit work as the mum (my first Sim) has a high-powered political job.

And I made one of the twins evil. [face_skull]

I go off it for a while and come back, the game is seriously addictive.

And I have all the expansions, just not the extras. Late Night cleans it up quite a bit, and the vampires...

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Generations has spiral staircases, imaginary friends, body hair, pranks like knocking on doors before running away and lighting bags of poop on fire, gnomes can have families, there are tree houses for Sim kids to play in, you can record stuff using an in game item and have the Sims watch it on an in game TV, bachelor parties, and I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing out there.

One thing I love about the console game is that there's a lot of stuff available on the Sims3 store that's paid for if you have the PC version but it's included in the console version for free. You have to complete challenges and use the points you earn to unlock it, but the challenges aren't hard and can be fun too, like stealing candy from a baby five times. [face_devil]

My Evil Sim, Ebil McEbilton, married Willow and they had a 'shotgun wedding'. Their first child, a girl, is called Whitney (I didn't chose the name as Willow hadn't moved in time). Their second, a boy, is called Aaron (I could've changed it but meh).

I wish I had vampires. :(

Also, there's a free Ford Focus up on the Sims3 store.

22. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    My PC is showing it's age these days, so I don't run Sims games on it any longer. While it did play 3 for awhile, I just didn't devote enough time to keep it on.

My question, however, is Sims 3 for 360/PS3...how is it? I remember the abortion that was Sims 2 on PS2 and thinking "wow I got suckered." I don't want a half-hearted Sims experience, I want (what would essentially be) the PC version on my 360. Now, I know that is pretty much impossible, what with the community and PC's these days, but does the Sims 3 for console even feel like the Sims 3 for PC in terms of customization and such for your Sim, genetics, etc? Or is it just a sad console version?

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Everything I've seen in the 360 version is just like the PC version. The only difference I've noticed is that there aren't stuff packs and the town is divided into areas. There's a loading screen between areas but no loading going into buildings. You can download new patterns and designs that other people have made, or you can make your own and upload them if you want.

I haven't made a Sim using genetics, but my Evil Sim's first child has the same colour hair. The second isn't old enough for hair yet, so we'll see what happens.

The Karma powers are awesome and add a lot to the game. I was quite surprised. You also get Karma at midnight and I've had random things happen, like earthquakes and stuff. The 'Bless This Mess' power is good for those situations, it fixes and cleans everything. ;)

You can't download new items from the Sims3 store though, which is a shame. You do get points as rewards for challenges and you can unlock new stuff with those points. There are some packs on the XBL store, which adds new things. I don't have them though.

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Well, my Sims are expecting another baby (more than one, I think) and so they've had to move house. To the only free lot left, to be honest. I expect I will have to extend the house at some point, as the twins now have their own rooms. It's a lovely house, though, was up until 1am finishing it and I haven't even done any landscaping.

Can anyone tell me about editing the town? Can I have more vacant land? Can I build apartment blocks myself? Can I build community lots/businesses?

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    You can make more lots depending on the terrain in the neighborhood. And yes you can make apartment blocks yourself. I'm unsure if you can build them from scratch (I've never tried or looked it up) but I know they do have a lot of apartment buildings in the saved houses. I honestly haven't done much with the ambitions expansion, I know you can edit community lots in the main neighborhood but I don't know anything about the ambitions one with the businesses and such.