main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The single most iconic image in the Star Wars saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darthkarma, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

For me it's a three-way tie between the SD in ANH, the binary sunset and Luke and Vader's blades crossed before the Emperor.

All three images send shivers down my spine.

In the PT, I suppose it's a tie between Darth Maul igniting both ends of his lightsabre, with the great Duel of the Fates in the background, and Anakin's expression as he bursts out of the hut, ready to slaughter Tuskens.

2. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Can't believe no one's said this before, but:

Vader: No [Luke], I am your father

3. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Ok I agree with all the OT ones mentioned.

But if you have to pick from the PT, what is it?

For me the scene when Duel of Fates start when that hanger door opens and Darth Maul is standing there and then lights up his double sabre, best of the PT for me.

Ultimate evil Vs the good guys is on, the music seals it for me.

4. KNIRE_DARK

KNIRE_DARK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    I've scanned this topic and I can't believe only ONE PERSON named what is my pick for the most iconic Star Wars image:

The final shot from ESB with Leia and Luke looking out into the galaxy as the Falcon speeds off to rescue Han.

I have the Star Wars technical journal and it has that pic in there when it's describing the layout of the medical bay and I just look at that picture of Luke, Leia, R@, and 3PO and you can't help but feel moved when you look at the last of the Skywalker line, their lives destroyed by the father they hardly know. It's so powerful, almost as much as the binary sunset, but this is a personal favorite of mine.

Other notables:
    Obi-Wan removes his hood and reveals himself.
    Darth Maul igniting lightsaber
    YODA igniting HIS lightsaber
    Luke at Vader's funeral pyre
    Anakin and Padme as husband and wife (last scene of AOTC)
    Luke in the cockpit of the X-Wing after he fires the photon into the Death Star
    The Death Star itself
    And the Super Star Destroyed dwarfing the much smaller ship

And I agree with the person who said that the original 1977 movie poster is iconic, because it truly is. Much better than any other mock up they've made for the saga since (barring the "classic Star Wars" version of the AOTC poster with Anakin and Padme as the centerpieces).

5. Lyssa_Skywalker

Lyssa_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2003
    For me, it's at the end of ROTJ when Luke is on Endor looking at the ghosts of Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan and Leia comes over to him and Anakin smiles. The look on his face after seeing his kids is priceless!

6. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    There are so many to choose from. How about one for each film?

TPM: When the hangar doors open to reveal Darth Maul. I haven't seen more drama concentrated in six seconds.

AOTC: When Anakin in kneeling beside his mother's grave. This is the first time it really hit home that Darth Vader was once just an angry youth.

ANH: The Twin Sunset, with Luke's return to the burning homestead a close second.

TESB: (three-way-tie) When Han Solo's coffin is toppled and slams on the floor/ when Leia, Lando and Chewie reach the platform just as Slave 1 lifts off (the SE version with the restored music made my girlfriend cry)/ when Luke is stuck on the weathervane and calls out to Leia. I did like the Luke/ Leia window scene at the end.

ROTJ: Darth Vader breathes his last.

7. Red_9

Red_9 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2004
    The Spacebattle of Endor
    X-wings flying to the Death Star in ANH
    Obi/Vader-duel on Death Star I
    The sanddunes of Tatooine
    The first scene of ROTJ ("The new Death Star")
    Luke/Vader-duel in ROTJ

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I have found that everytime I think about Star Wars, the image of Anakin and Padme´s wedding pops up into my head. So I guess that would be the most iconic image of the saga for me.
    Not too inappropriate, since their love story is central to everything that happens in the saga!

9. Darth48076

Darth48076 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    OT: The opening scene fro a new hope..

PT: the Scene where the gungans march out of the mist to prepare for war with the droid army in TPM.

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4082.jpg]

I think it's not only iconic but also good fore shadowing.

11. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

For some of us, that gold bikini Princess Leia wore
    in Jabba's lair might qualify as an "iconic image."

12. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    ANH: Twin Suns

ESB: Luke and Vader's sabers crossed in the Carbon Freezing Chamber

ROTJ: The Emporer's face with the 2 sabers

TPM: Maul when he first lit his saber

AOTC: Anakin meditating on the balcony

Runner UPs

Corvette vs. Star Destroyer ANH
    The first scene of Vader in the hallway ANH
    Han being lowered into the freezing chamber ESB
    Vader on the bridge of his SD ESB
    Vader reaching out his hand to Luke ESB
    After Luke catches his saber ROTJ
    Vader holding the Emporer over his head ROTJ
    Luke in front of Vader's funeral prye ROTJ
    The Battle Droids activated TPM
    Anakin with 2 sabers AOTC
    Yoda with fighting stance/lightning/saber AOTC

13. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    TPM: When the hangar doors open to reveal Darth Maul. I haven't seen more drama concentrated in six seconds.

Very true.

Oh, and I agree that the gold bikini is a fairly iconic image. ;)

14. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    C-3PO and R2-D2 standing next to each other in the hallway of the Tantive IV.

15. Darth_MaulRat35

Darth_MaulRat35 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    Come on people. This has only been said once???

"No, I am your father."

It's not rocket science here, folks.

16. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    It's the fart scene in Episode I - people are still talking about it even now - they just can't get it out of their heads ;)

17. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Come on people. This has only been said once???

"No, I am your father."

It's not rocket science here, folks.

that's a line of dialogue,
    not an IMAGE! look at the thread title!!!!!

18. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    I know it says of the whole saga, but I couldn't pinpoint that, so instead I give the images I think of for each individual film:

TPM: Darth Maul igniting the double lightsaber, really signals the overt return of the Sith with a bang, and a great kick off to one of the best kick ass fights in the saga.

AOTC: Anakin swinging away at the Tusken Raider's head, really exemplifies his journey to the dark side, the look in his eyes is pure rage.

EPIII: TBA

ANH: Hate to be unoriginal, but I think the shot of all X-Wings with S-foils deployed converging on the Death Star really sums up the excitement of the first one in the series, the whole gigantic space opera what have you.

ESB: Luke hanging on with his one remaining hand while Vader offers him his own and beckons him to the darks side, almost bibical in symbolism.

ROTJ: I almost would go with the funeral pyre scene, but strictly image speaking it lacks impact without the moving JW score, so just on image alone I have to go with the shot of Luke have lit, which shows the dilemma and choice he must make in the final chapter (I wonder if any similar shots will be featured in Ep III...?)

19. Darth_MaulRat35

Darth_MaulRat35 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    that's a line of dialogue,
    not an IMAGE! look at the thread title!!!!!

Yeah, because when he said that line of dialogue, the screen was black. No it wasn't - Vader reaching out to his son, Luke cowering in horror. Those are iconic images.

20. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I would say that overall it's the image of Darth Vader's helmet. Or crossed lightsabers - from any one of the fights.

On a film-by-film basis, it's very difficult, because there are so many iconic moments! I've always thought that Star Wars is pretty unique, in that if you freeze-frame any one of the films at any point, you've either got a stunning ladscape, a great character portrait, or an iconic moment. Now that's what I call mis-en-scene!

21. Lyssa_Skywalker

Lyssa_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2003
    Another one I thought of is at the end of the father/son duel in ROTJ, right after Luke chops off Vader's hand and looks at it (or what's left of it) and then at his own, realizing that he is becoming his father.

22. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    ROTJ- The close-up of Vader as Luke is being attacked by the Emperor.

The way he looks back and forth between Luke and the Emperor, lightning reflecting on his dusty helmet, looking downwards at Luke. In this moment we're seeing Vader as we've never seen him before.

23. obeerwankenobi

obeerwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I think when ALL is said and done (meaning the prequels etc.) The moment when Vader and Obi wan meet again in ANH will hold such high dramatic and emotional subtext that we will all get chills over again "I've been waiting for you obi wan"

24. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I agree! I've thought about that since the prequels were first announced. That one scene in ANH always had me intrigued about the history between those two characters.

I chose my favourite moment (ROTJ - close up of Vader watching Luke being attacked by the Emperor) because I feel when the series is completed then the moment when Vader is torn between choosing to save his son and the power of the darkside it will be an amazingly emotional scene.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

For me, it's the opening prologue of every one
    of the Star Wars films.

Those yellow letters slowly crawling up the
    screen to infinity and setting the stage
    for what is to follow always warm my heart.
    Combined with John William's music it gives
    me a feeling like no other moment at the movies.

I know I'm going to a Galaxy Far Far Away
    where I have friends and for two hours I can
    forget about my problems. That's what movies
    are all about. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.